Options

Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 14)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,838
Administrator
I don't understand why his future is up for negotiating now. If Arsene has any decency left, he would walk away next summer. Especially as he seems more negligent and stubborn than ever before!

Maybe this bid is to appease the fans that the club are trying to sign a big name and have something to fall back on when nothing changes come September 2nd. :rolleyes:

Continuation of: Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• Options
    WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused about the apparent 30m bid for Suarez. Anyone could have seen the potential when he was at Ajax and Wenger should have gone for him earlier, maybe instead of Giroud.

Bidding for him right now sends out the wrong message to Higuain, who should be signed asap now. Another quality midfield and defensive sigining alongside Cesar would do nicely and would make us at least (a lot more) competitive.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Agree, why are we quibbling over 1 or 2m (seemingly) for Higuain yet can bid 30m for Suarez? I dont believe that :confused:
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH Grim our transfer deals are always so convoluted these days anything is possible. One Spanish paper yesterday was saying we haven't even made a bid for Higuain yet.
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Anyone get the feeling that the Higuain deal isn't going to happen?
  • Options
    EurobinEurobin Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't believe we have made a bid for Suarez.
    He is obviously a flawed character and not the sort of player we would normally take a risk on.

Add to that that we do not comment on transfers until they are done and Liverpool have refused to comment on it I ask where this story can have come from?
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurobin wrote: »
    I really don't believe we have made a bid for Suarez.
    He is obviously a flawed character and not the sort of player we would normally take a risk on.

Add to that that we do not comment on transfers until they are done and Liverpool have refused to comment on it I ask where this story can have come from?

I thought it had been confirmed by both clubs ? The BBC are reporting it as fact anyway.
    I don't believe it's a serious bid though, in my opinion it's more of a statement of intent, and a flexing of their financial muscles to get the ball rolling on other deals.

As a matter of interest, are Arsenal supporters particularly thrilled about the prospect of signing Higuain ?..I've never been totally convinced about him myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone get the feeling that the Higuain deal isn't going to happen?

The longer this goes on I do get that feeling :(

This is going round in circles but noticed this bit:

Sources have told ‘AS’ that Ancelotti is planning to sit down with Higuaín when the squad returns for duty on July 15th to try and convince him to stay. It will not be an easy task for the coach however as Higuaín has stated quite categorically that his spell at Madrid is over. José Mourinho did manage to persuade the player to stay put when he turned up wearing a shirt signed by his team mates during Madrid’s league title-winning celebrations in 2011. But those conversations included a verbal agreement to improve and extend Higuaín’s contract – a promise which was never fulfilled. Furthermore, the player has asked his agents to step up negotiations so that he can seal his move to Arsenal before the players are due back on July 15th.

:yawn::confused:

http://as.com/diarioas/2013/07/08/english/1373289665_459785.html

Higuain wants out
    We want to buy him
    No one else in for him (yet).
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurobin wrote: »

No idea but as it's in several papers it seems they have had a leak (accurate or not) from somewhere. I think it's more likely to be a ridiculously obvious gambit by Arsene to get Madrid to lower the price of Higuain. Why the hell he just doesn't pay the asking price for once I'll never know.

And if it falls through (which is clearly quite likely) you can hear him saying 'we spent so much time on this deal we haven't had a chance to pursue other targets but we'll definitely spend in January'. Same story, different year. Nothing changes.

And simply because it bears repeating, this is the manager who spent three months negotiating a loan move out for Armand Traore!
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least if they sign Suarez that's the Christmas Queen tribute party sorted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really fascinating comment made after one of the Online Gooner articles. No idea if there is any truth in this but it would explain so much about that sudden burst of activity just before the window closed two years ago and the strange refusal to play one of the purchases afterwards.
    The only way we will make top signings is if we find a way to keep Wenger well out of the way. This was done once before, two summers ago. Wenger had become convinced we would not lose both Cesc and Nasri, and when we did, he went into one. He single handedly killed off the highly available signings of Mata, Cahill and Jagielka, and they are just the ones we know about. Instead, Wenger instructed his team to spend muc of the summer chasing Joel Campbell, a player who will for various reasons never wear the shirt. After the OT debacle and as the windw closed, Ivan realised signings were urgent, he also realised Wengers dithering would stop them, so Wenger was packed off on holiday, expecting the sack and the board went to work, some they got right, some spectacularly wrong to the point Wenger would not play one of them, but at least they tried. Gazidis has put huge pressure on Wenger this summer ...

I have to say I'm quite willing to believe that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmmm so maybe the Board arent the Big Bad some believe they are.. :o
    2 summers ago was terrible, ugh :(
    The Board should send AW on a nice holiday then and drive Higgy to the airport themselves ;)
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    One thing that isn't true is the idea that Gazidis is an idiot. His talk of big signings was clearly to put the £7 million man under some pressure before he grants himself a lucrative contract extension.

It looks right now as if Ancelotti wants to keep Higuian. There's a World Cup coming up and Argentina are not exactly short of strikers. Higuian presumably wants assurances that he will be a regular first team choice. IMHO he'd have already signed if he was sure he wanted to come to London. He probably just wants options if Carlo doesn't promise he will be first choice.

Punxsutawney Arsene.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arsenal are shit at transfers. With other major clubs it seems to be relatively swift and succinct. With Arsenal, it's messy and embarrassing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At the bottom of that "English" article it said Higuain was trying to speed up the move over here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TS are claiming Real Madrid are saying we haven't made any bid yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that isn't true is the idea that Gazidis is an idiot. His talk of big signings was clearly to put the £7 million man under some pressure before he grants himself a lucrative contract extension.

I agree. If he messes this transfer window up (and all the signs are there already) I really don't think the board are going to extend his contract. I suspect behind the scenes they are as frustrated with him as we are.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    The Board should send AW on a nice holiday

Never to return! I tell you, that man is a megalomaniac!
  • Options
    bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    I agree. If he messes this transfer window up (and all the signs are there already) I really don't think the board are going to extend his contract. I suspect behind the scenes they are as frustrated with him as we are.

If Gazidis had anything about him (which he doesn't) he'd grow a pair and publicly sack Wenger now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    TS are claiming Real Madrid are saying we haven't made any bid yet.

Why would they say that? Higuain said he wants to leave and his dad gave permission for us to talk to Madrid, etc? :confused:
    So all the "bids" we made (£21m and supposedly £23.1m) are lies... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Gazidis had anything about him (which he doesn't) he'd grow a pair and publicly sack Wenger now.

The problem is a sizeable proportion of our fans (albeit fast shrinking) still thinks Wenger is a god and can do no wrong. Gazidis probably doesn't want to split the club down the middle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Why would they say that? Higuain said he wants to leave and his dad gave permission for us to talk to Madrid, etc? :confused:
    So all the "bids" we made (£21m and supposedly £23.1m) are lies... :o

Linky here: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/gonzalo-higuain-switch-to-arsenal-in-doubt-after-real-madrid-claim-the-gunners-have-not-even-made-a-bid-for-the-striker-8695861.html who knows what the truth is?
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Trouble is, Real wont let Higuian go unless they've signed a replacement and they haven't. They reportedly wanted Cavani but he may go to PSG and Liverpool won't want to let Suarez go. Levy won't sell Bale either.
    Looks like Sanogo then :rolleyes:

Enjoyed this anyhow http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/08/the-fiver-luis-suarez
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought RM had about 5 strikers?
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Shambles. The only word to describe what this club has become. Absolute shambles.

Transfer dealings continue to be falsified and dragged out. When was the last time the job was done right and proper, with minimal fuss? If a few bob is needed to smooth out a deal, so be it. It's not like the club can defend prudency, given the duds bought in the past. Chamakh could have been signed a year earlier, yet we got him on the cheap. It was only six months down his career before Dear Leader realised that sticking Van Persie upfront was the only option. :rolleyes:

I expect Higuain to be signed, yet any hope of addressing the areas which need to be bolstered have been vanquished. A last minute dash on deadline day would do nowt. My only prayer is more work is being done to eradicate those defensive errors.

The board and Arsene are cut from the same cloth. One gets away with dithering, the other doesn't use their power to stop the same mistakes from happening. Made for each other.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    Really fascinating comment made after one of the Online Gooner articles. No idea if there is any truth in this but it would explain so much about that sudden burst of activity just before the window closed two years ago and the strange refusal to play one of the purchases afterwards.

I have to say I'm quite willing to believe that!

Wenger does not negotiate transfers he never has, that's down to Ivan and Dick Law.
This discussion has been closed.