Why Does Callum Shout When Talking To Sam?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
Forum Member
✭✭
No one else does it.

Comments

• SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say i have noticed to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    Can't say i have noticed to be honest.

He seems to talk in a slow and loud way and use even more hand Movements than usual (I know that's saying a lot) when talking to Sam.

I don't think he realises that Sam is 70% deaf with hearing aids in, not mentally challenged.

Maybe he's trying to be helpful, but he comes across as condescending.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at least he makes an effort
  • diesels hummindiesels hummin Posts: 7,589
    Forum Member
    Because Sam is hard of hearing and Callum is a considerate guy.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seems to talk in a slow and loud way and use even more hand Movements than usual (I know that's saying a lot) when talking to Sam.

I don't think he realises that Sam is 70% deaf with hearing aids in, not mentally challenged.

I also hear him talking to Sam quietly as well, i think you are reading too much into it.
  • MerDeNoms_MerDeNoms_ Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Imagine Callum talking to a foreigner who doesnt speak english - he'd raise his voice so theyd be more likely to understand :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divergent wrote: »
    at least he makes an effort

Well he's suppose to be so intelligent, I didn't think he'd think he needed to try, seeing as no one else needs to do that to talk to Sam.

Plus he's suppose to be Sam's friend, yet all he seems to do is treat him like a child that he's trying to influence... by talking really loudly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,314
    Forum Member

This. And he takes a pause after saying a few words so Sam can understand what he just said.
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    He doesn't shout. He speaks clearly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one else does it.

WHAT!!??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam appreciates it and that's what matters
  • jaydeebeejaydeebee Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dislike Callum but this is a bit of a daft question. When Sam was in the task room with Callum the other day, telling him about how he feels with everyone when he doesn't feel involved because he can't hear what is been said most of the time... the fact that Callum is the only one that is respectful enough to explain slowly and understandably so Sam can lipread easier shows he does have a nicer side to him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    He shouts?
  • hearditallbeforhearditallbefor Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP because he knows he's deaf and is making a patronising point of it - even when they're speaking one to one, the times that Sam does understand what someone's saying to him
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't shout at all but he makes an effort to pronunciate his words more clearer as Sam can lip read.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    No one else does it because theyre inconsiderate.
    OP did you not see the 'therapy' bit where Sam said he often feels left out of conversations because he can't hear properly and keep up with the others speech?
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MerDeNoms_ wrote: »
    Imagine Callum talking to a foreigner who doesnt speak english - he'd raise his voice so theyd be more likely to understand :D:D:D

Isn't that natural instinct? Even though it doesn't make eveyone does it.
  • TominxsterTominxster Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ive heard and seen him do this too. It reminds me of the way you hear someone talking to an elderly person that can't hear very well.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Callum is on a level with Mario with his famous remark "Mikeys blind............open your eyes".
  • TominxsterTominxster Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't like Callum very much but have to say I think that hes doing it to help Sam.

I also think that he hangs around Sam as it shows hes a 'nice guy'.

So I maybe wrong but I think he does it for gain also.
  • MySkassMySkass Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because he's an idiot.

Callum is that delusional asshat who thinks he knows everyone and connects with them so he does these annoying creepy things to confirm that. He likes to feel that he's the primary person in people and they trust him more than others.

- Like when he told Dan that Gina said he's the only one she trusts.

- Or during the conversation between Gina, Sam and him during live feed (July 25th... was just watching it today) when Sam mentions Gina is one of the few people who actually listen to him, Creepy Callum kept butting in and saying "yea, yea, I've always had a connection with Sam and now you have one, too."
    - Those stupid 'sign' gestures.
    - Exaggerated mouth movements on that wide mouth of his.
    - Creepy scalp massages with Charlie
    - That creepy way he has to touch someone when they disagree with him and he tries to placate them

Man, the list goes on and on. I'm
  • MySkassMySkass Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he's suppose to be so intelligent, I didn't think he'd think he needed to try, seeing as no one else needs to do that to talk to Sam.

Plus he's suppose to be Sam's friend, yet all he seems to do is treat him like a child that he's trying to influence... by talking really loudly.

Or trying to get Sam to find out what Charlie thinks of him. Then he tries to play it off as if he does not care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tominxster wrote: »
    I don't like Callum very much but have to say I think that hes doing it to help Sam.

I also think that he hangs around Sam as it shows hes a 'nice guy'.

So I maybe wrong but I think he does it for gain also.

Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they are incapable of friendship.

I can hardly believe the OP. Callum always tries to make sure that Sam has heard what is going on. That is not 'patronising', it is polite. When he sees that Sam is adrift in a conversation, he brings him into it. When he speaks in a slightly exaggerated way it is because he is speaking to him across the room and wants to make sure he understands. He speaks with a normal tone and manner when they are side by side.

Callum and Sam have both had a rough time in there, for different reasons. They have been good friends to each other. I really can't see that anyone needs to sneer at that.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one else does it.

He only shouts sometimes. I think it could be Callum's way of making sure that Sam hears what he's said. Saying this though, if Sam didn't hear what Callum said properly, he could easily just ask him to repeat what he said. I do think Callum treats some of the housemates like kids at times. I wish he'd just start becoming more relaxed and get into an argument if he needs to.
  • amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    The main thing I've noticed about conversations between the 2 is that Callum just keeps talking over Sam when the latter doesn't agree with him. Usually the subject relates to Dexter/Charlie.