Options

Anyone else find Peter Capaldi a touch creepy

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
I hope he does the role justice but I just find the guy a bit creepy. Would have put him as a baddy not a good guy. Maybe its his eyes I don't know why but there's just something about him that reminds me of some creepy uncle or some schizo who you wouldn't wish to be left alone with.

Apologies as he's probably a really nice fella if not (after last night's appearance) came across a bit on the camp side. Just something about him I don't trust and on the reveal show he just didn't seem genuine somehow but it could just be because it's all new and a lot to take in.

Anyone else get an uneasy feeling about him or am I overreacting?

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... No.
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me neither.
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're overreacting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look wise I think he looks okay like a doctor but I think with younger actresses as companions it will look like a father and daughter relationship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He just seems to have a sly menacing stare about him which I find a bit creepy and akin to a villain. Sorry I know I'm gonna get slaughtered by the die hard fans but it's just how I feel atm. I hope to be proved wrong but there's something about him that screams creepy.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't think Peter can do creepy/villainous then you really need to watch "The thick of it"

Leetle piigs, Leetle piigs - let me come in...
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So he came across as camp on the show last night which makes him creepy? As someone who is genuinely quite camp I find that a very strange comment to make. Do you find camp people creepy? If so, why? Is it because a majority of camp people are gay (such as myself)? Because if that's the case then this becomes something entirely different.

He's not creepy, he's not camp. Just because he's not butch and is a bit more of a gentleman than most other men you'll see on the TV doesn't make him camp. He's going to be great in the role of the Doctor.
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    green855 wrote: »
    Look wise I think he looks okay like a doctor but I think with younger actresses as companions it will look like a father and daughter relationship.

Maybe, or uncle/niece or maybe just friends.

I'm 43, I've got good friends 20 years younger than me and some friends 20 years older than me. It does happen you know!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    He just seems to have a sly menacing stare about him which I find a bit creepy and akin to a villain. Sorry I know I'm gonna get slaughtered by the die hard fans but it's just how I feel atm. I hope to be proved wrong but there's something about him that screams creepy.

I agree, he would make a great villain. I could picture him as the Master. But I can also see him as the Doctor and I think he'll make the role his own. I quite like having an older actor in the role, they come across as a little more fatherly. He's definitely got the Doctor's old eyes down to a T though.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes and that's a good thing. I think he will be much darker and serious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am I overreacting?

...Yes
  • Options
    Sirocco758Sirocco758 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He creeps me out aswell Wizard!! he has a menacing face for a doctor maybe a villain yeah but doctor very bad decision made there tbh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    If you don't think Peter can do creepy/villainous then you really need to watch "The thick of it"

Leetle piigs, Leetle piigs - let me come in...

:D

That doesn't help...
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Some schizo" is not a very polite term to call someone suffering from schizophrenia (a debilitating mental illness) let alone someone who isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Some schizo" is not a very polite term to call someone suffering from schizophrenia (a debilitating mental illness) let alone someone who isn't.

You know I read through that post so quickly I completely overlooked that. As someone who suffers from Bipolar Disorder and has an Aunt with Schizophrenia I actually find that quite offensive.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find him a bit creepy - the eyes and those long fingers. But I see that as a positive it's quality that can be very effective for the Doctor - Hartnell had some rather creepy hand moves that weren't quiet human.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he does the role justice but I just find the guy a bit creepy. Would have put him as a baddy not a good guy. Maybe its his eyes I don't know why but there's just something about him that reminds me of some creepy uncle or some schizo who you wouldn't wish to be left alone with.

Apologies as he's probably a really nice fella if not (after last night's appearance) came across a bit on the camp side. Just something about him I don't trust and on the reveal show he just didn't seem genuine somehow but it could just be because it's all new and a lot to take in.

Anyone else get an uneasy feeling about him or am I overreacting?

Some pretty nasty insinuations there, aren't there? Personally I find THAT a bit creepy.

As for your comment about Capaldi not being "genuine" - you do realise the guy is even more of a fan boy than Tennant was? His enthusiasm was completly genuine (note how he even did the famous 1st Doctor pose).
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor is an alien, and one of the great things about Matt Smith's Doctor was his alien quality. I think PC is equally alien,which is all to the good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/imageArchive/documents/pages/10307_doc_001.jpg

Written in 1966, proving that whenever the Doctor has changed, someone out there doesn't like it :)
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I must admit, he does come across as somewhat nefarious in that promo pic. :D

But for the most part, no.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creepy, no. He certainly has the ability to bring out the Doctor's darker side if wanted, but he can do a fatherly role too - if anyone saw him in Field of Blood with young actress Jayd Johnson he was fabulous as an older colleague looking out for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    You know I read through that post so quickly I completely overlooked that. As someone who suffers from Bipolar Disorder and has an Aunt with Schizophrenia I actually find that quite offensive.

If you're that easilly offended by a totally flippant comment obviously NOT aimed at attacking people with genuine mental health problems (as I too am a sufferer) then maybe you should stick to kids programmes as this show might accidently offend someone so sensitive. Seriously I think some people need to get a grip and stop looking for ways to be all offended by a meaningless comment.

Would you have reacted the same had I said he looks a bit 'mad' or 'crazy'? :rolleyes:

The guy makes me feel uneasy with his stare (a bit like a psycho) and came across a bit creepy OK. That's my opinion. Having seen him only as Malcolm Tucker the guy comes over as a real Jekyll and Hyde hence my schizo comment and he has menacing eyes IMO. There was nothing else to be read into that so please don't make issues out if nothing.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like that about him. The Doctor has repeatedly described himself as someone who monsters are scared of. That's a character who should be menacing. He's not a pussycat. He's a man who can turn an army around at the mention of his name. He should give people the shits. I hope he gives people the shits! ;)
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/imageArchive/documents/pages/10307_doc_001.jpg

Written in 1966, proving that whenever the Doctor has changed, someone out there doesn't like it :)

FANTASTIC FIND!!! :D

Just goes to show what DS would be like if it existed in the 60s!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    I like that about him. The Doctor has repeatedly described himself as someone who monsters are scared of. That's a character who should be menacing. He's not a pussycat. He's a man who can turn an army around at the mention of his name. He should give people the shits. I hope he gives people the shits! ;)

Agree to some extent but he should also be a character which people can empathize with and warm to and if he comes over as too dark or slightly creepy or villainous then perhaps people are less likely to care about or warm to the character.

He should be tough but still loveable/likeable. Not just a total outright scary b'stard.