Farage sang Hitler youth songs, allegedly !!!

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As well as allegedly being a school bully, and not thought to be ideal school prefect material.

link

In an embarrassing revelation for Nigel Farage, a letter has emerged in which the Ukip leader is described as a "bully" and a "fascist" by teachers at his South London school, forcing the party boss to defend himself against the accusations.

Revealed by Channel 4 News, the letter was written in June 1981 by Chloe Deakin, an English teacher at the prestigious Dulwich College where Farage was a pupil.

In the missive, sent to the school’s headmaster David Emms, Deakin implores her boss to reconsider appointing the future Ukip leader a prefect, citing a recent staff meeting in which Farage was described as a "fascist", adding that there was "considerable reaction" from Deakin’s colleagues to the appointment.

The letter adds: "Another colleague, who teaches the boy, described his publicly professed racist and neo-fascist views; and he cited a particular incident in which Farage was so offensive to a boy in his set, that he had to be removed from the lesson. This master stated his view that this behaviour was precisely why the boy should not be made a prefect.

"Yet another colleague described how, at a Combined Cadet Force (CCF) camp organised by the college, Farage and others had marched through a quiet Sussex village very late at night shouting Hitler-youth songs."

Mr Farage calls these accusations "baloney", but they are undoubtedly very embarrassing for him. Do they give an insight into his true mindset, or are they mere echoes of his youth, when, let's face it, we all did pretty silly and immature things ?

Thoughts ?

Comments

• AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really surprising.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Could have been worse - Like the custom of the singing
    of The Red Flag at a certain parties conference
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what? Given the pool he is fishing in I would have thought this was the ideal bait to attract support to UKIP.
  • gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find that the care factor of everyone who isn't a metropolitan liberal will be approximately zero.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Really it's all getting a bit desperate now dredging up stuff that happened or may not have happened at school.

What next? 5 year old bully Farage pushed another child in the playground at nursery school?

Teachers at a south London school probably Guardianistas who would probably call Cameron a fascist as they throw the word round so liberally!
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard when he was at school that he spent all day hanging around with kids...sounds right dodgy that :eek:

Seriously tho this is the reason people have so little intertest in politics surely when this is the level of debate we are involved in :(
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    I heard when he was at school that he spent all day hanging around with kids...sounds right dodgy that :eek:

Seriously tho this is the reason people have so little intertest in politics surely when this is the level of debate we are involved in :(

Well yes, I see your point, but you have to admit (if it's true), that wandering round the street late at night singing the Horst Wessel, or whatever, isn't exactly common behaviour for a 17 year old.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    not surprising really.............I mean the Ruling Class have always flirted with Nazism and Fascism

Look at the old king who had to abdicate............he was always round Hitler's gaff plotting how he could get the throne back after Hitler conquered GB

One of the Princes dressing up in Nazi uniform

Surely no one is going to claim that the Duke of Edinburgh has any opinion to the left of Attila the Hun

It's probably pretty common in the aristocratic and ruling classes
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    not surprising really.............I mean the Ruling Class have always flirted with Nazism and Fascism

Look at the old king who had to abdicate............he was always round Hitler's gaff plotting how he could get the throne back after Hitler conquered GB

One of the Princes dressing up in Nazi uniform

Surely no one is going to claim that the Duke of Edinburgh has any opinion to the left of Attila the Hun

It's probably pretty common in the aristocratic and ruling classes

Don't forget the pictures of Ed Balls dressed up a Nazi that were doing the rounds a few years ago , are we now going to call him a Fascist and Nazi ?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Don't forget the pictures of Ed Balls dressed up a Nazi that were doing the rounds a few years ago , are we now going to call him a Fascist and Nazi ?

would you call him part of the ruling class ?

I expect so............
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Whilst it's not good. in 1981 he was 16 or 17 and at school.

there are enough contemporary reasons to hate him without having to go in to his childhood.

the fascism phase is no different from a punk or emo phase that other kids go through.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing allegedly about it. He has been given plenty of opportunity to deny, but he hasn't.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    would you call him part of the ruling class ?

I expect so............

I would call him a wannabe and god help us if he ever gets to be Chancellor
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Really it's all getting a bit desperate now dredging up stuff that happened or may not have happened at school.[

Erm.....I don't think there is any doubt that it did happen.
    What next? 5 year old bully Farage pushed another child in the playground at nursery school?

It doesn't look as hough it has stopped.
    Teachers at a south London school probably Guardianistas who would probably call Cameron a fascist as they throw the word round so liberally!

Ha Ha....LOL...This is Dulwich College we are talking about here.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing allegedly about it. He has been given plenty of opportunity to deny, but he hasn't.

He did on the BBC
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm.....I don't think there is any doubt that it did happen.

It doesn't look as hough it has stopped.

Ha Ha....LOL...This is Dulwich College we are talking about here.

Well known hotbed of left wing lunacy carefully disguised as a public school produced the likes of Shackleton & PG Wodehouse...though IIRC he was once investigated by MI5 as a possible Nazi sympathiser/collaborator....before they concluded he was more idiot than traitor...hmmm.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    He did on the BBC

No, he said he did it to wind up the teachers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even the Guardian are reporting that he has denied it
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh this will really hurt his reputation amongst his supporters. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the Guardian are reporting that he has denied it

Yesterday, on the radio, he did not. In fact he implied the story was true. He went to say that he did to wind-up the teachers.

I fully expect to banned for this, because UKIP monitor this forum and threaten legal action if anyone says anything they don't like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dated 4 June 1981, the letter says one of Farage's teachers described how the schoolboy and others "marched through a quiet Sussex village very late at night shouting Hitler Youth songs" while he was in the cadet force. Farage said any suggestion of singing the songs was "complete baloney"

Sounds like he is denying it there? :confused:

Guardian
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But without going into specifics about what he used to do to wind up the "leftie Bob Dylan lovers" as I think he described them.

About the specific allegation he simply said "I don't remember that one" which kinda suggests he used to regularly play up.

Water off a ducks back for Farage.

I could imagine him doing it - he strikes me as probably having been a right wind up merchant at college judging by the fact he's not exactly a shrinking violet now!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like he is denying it there? :confused:

Guardian

In which case, he has back-pedaled from what he said on the radio yesterday.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is what he said:-
    On Thursday Farage said the notion of him singing Hitler Youth songs was "baloney" while rejecting allegations that he made racist remarks. When confronted by Channel 4 News, the Ukip leader admitted he'd done "some ridiculous things," adding: "Not necessarily racist things. It depends how you define it.”
  • PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He has denied even knowing any of the songs!