Options

Which flea treatment for cats?

daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,640
Forum Member
Frontline, Advantage or another?

I'm about to order more flea treatment for my two cats and wonder which is the better of the two? I have been using Advantage, but it is not 100% successful - but are any of them?

Comments

• Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vet prescribes Stronghold which also contains some worming treatment. Never had a problem with it.
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'd stick with advantage, but make sure you have the dose for their weight correct.

the OTC frontline will be about as effective as throwing water at them in my experience.

stronghold is another one you can try, but prescription only.

elliminall is another fipronil based product, as is effipro
    basically an off-brand/different label for a very similar product to frontline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks all for your replies. :)
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use advocate for my two, it's similar to advantage but has an added wormer so that gets done at the same time :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Advantage! :D

We also sprayed the entire house with StayKill and fingers crossed we haven't seen a flea since :D
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    I use advocate for my two, it's similar to advantage but has an added wormer so that gets done at the same time :)

while handy, i think worming monthly is a bit too often, so prefer to use drontal every three months for worms and advantage monthly for fleas, the added bonus here is that drontal treats for tapeworms as well, where as advocate does not. (and if you've gone to advocate to treat a flea infestation, it's likely the animal will contract tapeworm as the fleas are a vector for the parasite)

there is a spot on worm treatment you can get called Profender, which is a spot-on wormer, which treats both round worms and tapeworms
    prescription only, though i've heard good things about it.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a separate thread worm tablet that I use quarterly as well :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Taking on board all advice. :)
    My problem is that I have two cats - small female who is 21 years old and large male who is 11. Female stays in house 99% of the time, male is a lazy old git but does go hunting occasionally :cry: When they had their M.O.T earlier on this year, the vet advised against giving female the annual injection as she felt cat didn't need it and didn't want to pump her with unnecessary drugs - a thought I am still debating with myself. So bearing this in mind, I want to protect cats from fleas, so think I will stay with Advantage for them both. Male has Drontal too. Hopefully this routine will protect them both as I don't want male passing anything on to female.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    frontline used to but didnt have any affect on the fleas last year so i switched to advantage and its great ..
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for advantage here.