Options

Abandoned items stored in my garage.Can I sell?

swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
Forum Member
I rented my garage out to a bloke I only knew in passing for £60 PCM about 6 months ago.
He paid the first months rent in advance, then only half for the second month.
After that made a few promises to pay, but hasn't paid anything since.
I haven't had any contact with him for about 3 months and his mobile number is no longer active.
I have no way of contacting him.
I've had a little look around in the garage and some of the stuff he stored might have some value.
Can I sell some items to get the money owed?
If so would I have to keep hold of any excess money to give him if he happened to return?
Can I charge more for the aggravation?
Any advice will do. Legal or moral.
Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    I rented my garage out to a bloke I only knew in passing for £60 PCM about 6 months ago.
    He paid the first months rent in advance, then only half for the second month.
    After that made a few promises to pay, but hasn't paid anything since.
    I haven't had any contact with him for about 3 months and his mobile number is no longer active.
    I have no way of contacting him.
    I've had a little look around in the garage and some of the stuff he stored might have some value.
    Can I sell some items to get the money owed?
    If so would I have to keep hold of any excess money to give him if he happened to return?
    Can I charge more for the aggravation?
    Any advice will do. Legal or moral.
    Cheers

Its a bit of a minefield this one!

Try every conceivable way possible to contact him (3 months isn't very long) and keep proof of this. Unless you had a prior arrangement that you could sell to make up any lost rent, I'm afraid you may be on a sticky wicket. Particularly if he has an inventory of what he stored there. I think the law says you have to keep it stored and safe for a certain period and even then you have to contact (or try to contact) the owner to advise of disposal.

If you do decide to sell, stay away from ebay because it may be proof for him that you sold his stuff and open to being accused of theft or fraud!

Be very wary of this, this sort of thing landed me in a whole load of bother recently! I was found to be in the right in the end but it didn't stop me being cautioned and interviewed by the police and then waiting to see if the CPS were going to prosecute me. As a former policeman and someone who has never committed a criminal act before, it was an awful time! In the end I was completely exonerated but told I had to keep everything for 3 years in order for the other person file a civil claim. In the end I just left it all out for the other guy to collect and he didn't, I left it there for about two weeks and took dated photos each day until the day I woke up and found it all gone, I have no idea what happened to it but we get a lot of rag and bone men around here! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Its a bit of a minefield this one!

Try every conceivable way possible to contact him (3 months isn't very long) and keep proof of this. Unless you had a prior arrangement that you could sell to make up any lost rent, I'm afraid you may be on a sticky wicket. Particularly if he has an inventory of what he stored there. I think the law says you have to keep it stored and safe for a certain period and even then you have to contact (or try to contact) the owner to advise of disposal.

If you do decide to sell, stay away from ebay because it may be proof for him that you sold his stuff and therefore have committed theft or fraud!

Be very wary of this, this sort of thing landed me in a whole load of bother recently! I was found to be in the right in the end but it didn't stop me being cautioned and interviewed by the police and then waiting to see if the CPS were going to prosecute me. As a former policeman and someone who has never committed a criminal act before, it was an awful time!

Thanks, but the problem is I only ever had his mobile number as as it was a casual verbal agreement I don't even know his full name, I just knew him as Baz.
    I just did a bit of looking on the net for advice and got some conflicting answers, like, one saying 90 days is the limit and another saying I can sell but would have to keep the money for 6 years in case he claimed it, but that is only excess of what he owed me, which of course grows by £60 a month.
    I'm not planning on doing anything yet, even tho I have a few potential buyers for a few bits, not enough to cover the debt tho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, but the problem is I only ever had his mobile number as as it was a casual verbal agreement I don't even know his full name, I just knew him as Baz.
    I just did a bit of looking on the net for advice and got some conflicting answers, like, one saying 90 days is the limit and another saying I can sell but would have to keep the money for 6 years in case he claimed it, but that is only excess of what he owed me, which of course grows by £60 a month.
    I'm not planning on doing anything yet, even tho I have a few potential buyers for a few bits, not enough to cover the debt tho.

Just be wary! 3 months is not a long time! Its you word against his and if he decides to go to the police, the police will assume you have stolen his gear and will try and prove it!

Just steer clear of ebay!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just be wary! 3 months is not a long time! Its you word against his and if he decides to go to the police, the police will assume you have stolen his gear and will try and prove it!

Ok, I found this from the same link

"If you are in dispute with the tenants about any aspect of the goods, it is recommended that you do not sell the goods until this dispute is resolved. Any monies outstanding after the deduction of your reasonable costs belong to the tenant up until 6 years after the sale."
    "A suggested procedure for legally disposing of uncollected tenant’s goods:
    Make every effort to trace the tenant/s to their new address or contact them through any forwarding address you may have.
    If you are owed monies you must keep goods for 3 months before disposing of them. If you are not owed money a reasonable period, typically 28 days is acceptable before selling the goods."

I have witnesses about how long it been, so I doubt the police would have a case.
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/content/uncollected-goods
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are owed monies you must keep goods for 3 months before disposing of them. If you are not owed money a reasonable period, typically 28 days is acceptable before selling the goods.
    It strikes me as very strange that you can dispose of goods sooner if you aren't owed money.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    It strikes me as very strange that you can dispose of goods sooner if you aren't owed money.

Oh I don't know. The forum's favourite legal eagle, Judge Judy, nearly always finds in favour of people who do that

OP,

I would get proper legal advice in writing and then follow it to the letter. That way if there is any future problem you can show that you acted reasonably and on legal advice.

(On a side issue perhaps the person is in prison which is why you can not contact him. Also what are you doing storing goods for someone you don't know with no written contract - sounds like a problem just waiting to happen, and it has)
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I'll just build on Disco's point. Maybe get the police to have a look at the stuff to see if it's been nicked. A bloke called Baz who you can't contact does not sound good.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Perhaps he might come back for them when he finishes his prison sentence?

Put an ad in the "Public Notice" section of the local paper asking "Baz" who formally used telephone number xxxx to contact you with due haste as his stored items will be disposed of.
  • Options
    ZimzammamZimzammam Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Some solicitors do half an hour free legal advice, which may be an idea. Is it bulky stuff? Could you store it elsewhere and re-rent the garage? And next time, I would get something more formal in way of rental agreement!
  • Options
    Jason JAG LawJason JAG Law Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I would sell them and keep receipts of payments. Put any excess from what is owed into a bank account named Baz and just keep it there ad infinitum.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Works two ways though, surely.

Does the guy have any proof that his stuff was in the OP's garage in the first place ?
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rented lockup.
    No contact for 3 months.
    Mobile inactive.

I hope it's not a load of hookey video players and TVs. :o
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its like reverse Storage Hunters.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll just build on Disco's point. Maybe get the police to have a look at the stuff to see if it's been nicked. A bloke called Baz who you can't contact does not sound good.
    The Police may well have his address.....

HMP ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Works two ways though, surely.

Does the guy have any proof that his stuff was in the OP's garage in the first place ?

Absolutely, which why I say stay clear of ebay ie a traceable sale! Better to get rid at a car boot sale and then deny all knowledge of ever having it in the first place! Didn't say that before because, well, because this is DS and you can get flayed alive for saying shit like that around here! ;)
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No binding contract a verbal agreement with some dude called Baz.
    I reckon his stuff is now your stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unless Baz turns up with Gaz and Daz with a couple of lengths of lead piping! Then it may not have seemed such a good idea after all! :D
  • Options
    ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a bit strange that you were willing to rent a lock up out to someone he didnt know and without even knowing his name.

Does he know who you are? If not sell the stuff or keep it and start charging him a storage fee.

Go on, tell us what was in the garage. I love Storage Wars and I'd really like to know what this character called Bez was storing. I bet its more than likely stolen.
  • Options
    WizsisterWizsister Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Can't you just leave the lockup unlocked ;)
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zenton wrote: »
    Its a bit strange that you were willing to rent a lock up out to someone he didnt know and without even knowing his name.

Does he know who you are? If not sell the stuff or keep it and start charging him a storage fee.

Go on, tell us what was in the garage. I love Storage Wars and I'd really like to know what this character called Bez was storing. I bet its more than likely stolen.

Probably stuff you can "Step On"
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly! My only worry would be that the stuff is not actually Baz's. I'd just dump the lot, change the locks and forget about it. If Baz ever turns up just say it got burgled.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Zenton wrote: »

would guess a load of Maracas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll give it another couple of months then if no contact I'm selling it all to recoup my losses.