Options

(Religion warning) Can Christians judge other people?

lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
Forum Member
Sorry. Yet Another religion thread, I know....

A friend of mine was complaining of a new colleague today, who was demonstrating an amazing willingness to denegrate a whole host of people, including gays, Pagans, the unemployed and women.
My friend was getting quite worked up about his bigotry and ability to proselytize and wondering how to put him in his place.
The first thing that comes to my mind in these cases (from my basic Sunday-school knowledge of Christianity), is that the bible says something along the lines of "judge ye not, lest ye be judged". I always took that to mean that we mere humans were forbidden from judging other humans whatever they do, because only God can judge them in death?
Is this right, or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

Comments

• Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can all air our opinions without trying to judge.
    But of course we will fall short at times.
    A friend of mine who is a Christian says she would not serve on a Jury, though I would and have done.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell your friend to report the new colleague to HR :D
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judge not lest ye be judged. So no.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Wrong thread!
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't feel bound by the bible or any other element of Christianity but I think the ideal is to judge the actions and the attitudes as opposed to the person. This is probably most important with children. So it's "that was very naughty" as opposed to "you are very naughty".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "wondering how to put him in his place."

Start with the basics and demand proof of this God thing.
    And don't move on an inch to anything more complex until those very basics have been backed up and justified as a valid argument.

Why start with complex arguments that the religious can squirm their way out of when they can't even back up the very foundations of their nonsense.

And treat them as they do others: Laugh and look down your nose at their silliness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    I don't feel bound by the bible or any other element of Christianity but I think the ideal is to judge the actions and the attitudes as opposed to the person. This is probably most important with children. So it's "that was very naughty" as opposed to "you are very naughty".

Is it possible to judge an action without judging the actor? Otherwise, it's like saying we aren't responsible for our own actions.

Also, another question....the bible is full of rules and edicts, many of which purportedly come from God.
    Now, I can understand that the 10 Commandments might be "elevated sins", but why do many followers, in modern life, attach particular importance to some of the other rules over others? e.g. homosexuality and abortion over, say, mixing fabrics and the shellfish thing?
    Is there a sin-rating system in Christianity? (and indeed other religions)
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Is it possible to judge an action without judging the actor? Otherwise, it's like saying we aren't responsible for our own actions.
    yes very possible if you decide to - as in my example re children. and no people are still responsible for their actions - more so as they aren't there actions. Also it isn't all about the other person. Part of it is judging the action to reenforce to yourself that it is not an option for you.
    Also, another question....the bible is full of rules and edicts, many of which purportedly come from God.
    Now, I can understand that the 10 Commandments might be "elevated sins", but why do many followers, in modern life, attach particular importance to some of the other rules over others? e.g. homosexuality and abortion over, say, mixing fabrics and the shellfish thing?
    Is there a sin-rating system in Christianity? (and indeed other religions)[
    It always seemed bonkers to me too. I do pick and choose myself which rules and etc from the bible to avoid - but I don't then turn around and say that I think those things are wrong BECAUSE they are in the bible - otherwise I'd have to give up those things too.

Apart from that I would say that there is a sin-rating aspect of Christianity that is pretty much in line with what many people of other faiths or non think and that would be in relation to those things that do most damage to other people (or yourself). People of faith would also probably judge on the things that do most damage to God/God's standing/faith in God.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Religion has nothing to do with it you have to judge whether its lawful, different countries have different laws and moralities you may not always agree but thats the way it is

As for Christians where does it say you can treat anyone none white as a slaves, commit suicide, treat women as second class citizens
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    DS is the last place I'd ask so have a chat with your local priest/vicar.
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care what the Bible says. If someone raped my sister, I'd judge them in a very serious way.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Everybody judges others.......everybody. Its just that some people cant bring themselves to admit it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everybody judges others.......everybody. Its just that some people cant bring themselves to admit it.

True, but to hide it behind religious and act smugly that they are correct when they can't even back up the very nonsense they base that on, is very sheepish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    I don't care what the Bible says. If someone raped my sister, I'd judge them in a very serious way.

You are "Justice4maddie" in Private Eye's "From the boards" piece, and I claim my £5! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are "Justice4maddie" in Private Eye's "From the boards" piece, and I claim my £5! :D

I don't fully understand your joke, but it sounds genuinely funny :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    I don't fully understand your joke, but it sounds genuinely funny :D

"From the boards" is a parody of Digital Spy (General Discussion).
    There are some recurring "posters", but "Justice4maddie" always latches onto any discussion about X with response "anyone tries X with my daughters an i swear, i'll do time!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some recurring "posters", but "Justice4maddie" always latches onto any discussion about X with response "anyone tries X with my daughters an i swear, i'll do time!"

Ah right! Cheers for clearing that up. My post was a prime example :D
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A friend of mine was complaining of a new colleague today, who was demonstrating an amazing willingness to denegrate a whole host of people, including gays, Pagans, the unemployed and women.
    My friend was getting quite worked up about his bigotry and ability to proselytize and wondering how to put him in his place.
    The first thing that comes to my mind in these cases (from my basic Sunday-school knowledge of Christianity), is that the bible says something along the lines of "judge ye not, lest ye be judged". I always took that to mean that we mere humans were forbidden from judging other humans whatever they do, because only God can judge them in death?

A few things really. You don't make it clear who, if anyone, is the Christian in this scenario.

If it's you, then I think you'll come across as a bit of an arsey prat if you go up to people and say 'judge not, lest ye be judged'.

Or, if it's this other guy who is Christian, is he or she a bible thumping one? If they're not, you're going to get a withering look if you start spouting scripture out of the blue.

If you are both Christians, or you give the impression that that might be the case, you could end up with a bit of mutual evangelising. I'd try to keep this down to one email each a day if I were you - otherwise you'll both develop a reputation.

Where is this place you want to put them by the way? That all sounds a bit passive aggressive.

What I'd suggest, and I know this is a bit off the wall (I guess I'm just that kind of person) is next time they diss someone in front of you ...... disagree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's "familyman" I think! IIRC, "justice4maddie" is female.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few religious people who still have the courage to post here. I have seldom if ever seen them make judgements on other posters thoughts deeds or actions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    There are a few religious people who still have the courage to post here. I have seldom if ever seen them make judgements on other posters thoughts deeds or actions.

No they don't, as they won't deny their gods will do all that for them.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member

Of course they can judge other people. It doesn't mean we have to listen to it though.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

You need to read the chapter in full.

Later on in the chapter Jesus says

7:15 “Watch out for false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are voracious wolves.
    7:16 You will recognize them by their fruit. Grapes are not gathered from thorns or figs from thistles, are they?

A bit of judgement is needed here I believe. :)
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Workplaces are covered by all sorts of equalities legislation. You need to stop having these conversations at work. If you choose to take the conversation off site and out of work hours, fine. But not at work.

I have found that a lot of religious people ( from different religions) can be very judgemental and downright spiteful at times. It is as if they think that being religious gives them the moral high ground and a pass to behave badly. This is a sweeping statement but unfortunately one I have found from experience.

I will not talk about certain subjects at work and religion is one of them. Reluctantly I have found that you need to keep people at arms length at work.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    We can all air our opinions without trying to judge.
    But of course we will fall short at times.
    A friend of mine who is a Christian says she would not serve on a Jury, though I would and have done.

Legally, I believe she has to. Being a Christian doesn't mean you can get out of performing your duty, even people who can't speak good English have served on juries........