Should we return the Elgin Marbles to Greece?

haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They were taken from the Parthenon a long time ago and it's understandable that Greece wants them back. On the other hand there are artifacts in museums all over the world not in their country of origin.

George Clooney thinks we should return them ;-)

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think so......yes

A lot of artefacts in museums are not place specific.....so for example there wouldn't be much of an argument for returning a Roman coin to Rome because it wouldn't be more meaningful in a building in Rome than one in London......it wasn't meant to be in any particular lace

But the Elgin marbles belong to a specific building....
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, an American telling the British we should return something to the Greeks - that works...

Is he so vocal about returning the original 13 American states to British rule???
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    They were taken from the Parthenon a long time ago and it's understandable that Greece wants them back. On the other hand there are artifacts in museums all over the world not in their country of origin.

George Clooney thinks we should return them ;-)

We probably should, morally like, but I don't want to.

George is quite good looking though, I suppose I might be open to some persuasion from him ;-)
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Yes we should.

They were unlawfully taken so should be returned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also - he can't even keep hold of his coffee, why should his opinion on ownership be respected?
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also - he can't even keep hold of his coffee, why should his opinion on ownership be respected?

:D true
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    we won them so can keep them..
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. The proposal is not that they'll be on display in the original position at the Parthenon but in a nearby Athens museum, and as such there's really no moral obligation to return them any more than there is a moral obligation to return any other artefact to its country of origin - which would shut down every large museum in the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and at a guess more people will see them in London than will in Athens anyway...
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they want them, they can buy them..
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they want them, they can buy them..

Lol, had to giggle at that.

As to clueless Clooney, how about he starts on the Smithsonian before the twerp tries to preach to us?.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we looted all our museum junk fair and square

the greeks would just flog them anyway
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we do that won't every museum around the world have to return items as they are not in their country of origin?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FaithyH wrote: »
    If we do that won't every museum around the world have to return items as they are not in their country of origin?

Yep.

How about clueless Clooney slagging off the Smithsonian first, as they still have native American artifacts, so clueless should witter on at them first.

Also, it would be funny if he went to Rome and told the Italians to return all the Greek art pillaged by the Roman empire, I wonder how he would get on there?.....:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Yep.

How about clueless Clooney slagging off the Smithsonian first, as they still have native American artifacts, so clueless should witter on at them first.

He seems to think that because so many women find him attractive that he is intelligent. He is mistaking women lusting after him for people respecting him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He seems to think that because so many women find him attractive that he is intelligent. He is mistaking women lusting after him for people respecting him.

As I am not a woman, I neither "fancy" him, and I certainly have no respect either for him taking a cheap shot when the twerp should start by slagging off his own countries record on this...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I am not a woman, I neither "fancy" him, and I certainly have no respect either for him taking a cheap shot when the twerp should start by slagging off his own countries record on this...

Oh. No I didn't mean you personally :) I meant that seems to be his attitude in general. America has a lot of stuff it has no rights too, I agree he starts with his own country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh. No I didn't mean you personally :) .

Sorry if it seemed I was having a dig at you Faithy, it wasn't meant that way.....:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if it seemed I was having a dig at you Faithy, it wasn't meant that way.....:blush:

It's ok ! :blush: we're in agreement about him and the marbles.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we do as Clooney says and return them, there has to be one caveat. The USA has to return the 13 colonies they took from us.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I believe we should compromise and give them back Prince Phillip instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    I believe we should compromise and give them back Prince Phillip instead.

:D

Don't diss Phil the Greek, I like him....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    If we do as Clooney says and return them, there has to be one caveat. The USA has to return the 13 colonies they took from us.

I rather think the native tribes should have pre eminence on that claim tbh....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Nah...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rather think the native tribes should have pre eminence on that claim tbh....

I wonder if any of the original tribes that were in that goegraphical area still actually exist?