Ella Henderson Singles and Album Discussion Thread

JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
Forum Member
1. We heard Single One recently and hold onto your hats because it is really rather remarkable. It’s a dramatic, stylish belter called ’Ghost’. The song is all about Ella going down to the river (!) to “wash all the pain” and exorcise the ghost of a former beau. Ella co-wrote it with Ryan Tedder, who certainly knows one end of a pop single from the other. The tempo is perkier than you were probably expecting, and it’s a proper move-aside-everyone-here-comes-a-popstar debut single.

2. Single Two and Single Three are both excellent as well. We can’t tell you their names for complicated music business reasons but they are properly big. One of them, a thundering mid-tempo extravaganza, sounds so much like a triumphant X Factor performance that you can almost smell the fireworks. The other is a crunchy, sparkily-produced ballad that everyone will find quite inspiring and emotional. The brief seems to have been ‘smart, modern-sounding and non-boring mid-to-downtempo’, and it works brilliantly.

3. The whole ‘Ella Henderson conquers the charts and leaves everyone else cowering’ campaign is going to kick off next month when ‘Ghost’ goes to radio.
It’s all rather exciting really. Sometimes you get so caught up keeping track of how well former X Factor winners are doing that you forget about the potential stars who didn’t make it to the finals.

Ella, of course, is one such act. In 2012 she made it to Week 7 of the live shows; she found herself in the bottom two with James Arthur, the judges voted to keep James in the competition and for James the rest is history/misery/a complete mystery.
While James Arthur has been keeping himself busy in public, Ella’s been working in the background on an album that will belatedly crown her the true winner of X Factor 2012. It looks like something about Ella (presumably the fact that she’s pretty good) has inspired the highest level of care and attention from Syco since the big Leona Lewis launch we wrote about in 2007. Everything about this screams ‘we’re not pissing about here you know’.

Ella has been allowed to work on her album for almost twice as long as any other X Factor finalist. Sometimes in pop when things take an age you wonder if there’s aimlessness or confusion behind the scenes. With Ella, it just feels like a hugely confident artist launch, from the fact that they’re not relying on an X Factor performance to flog the first single to the names attached to the album sessions: along with Ryan Tedder there’s Eg White, Biff Stannard, Babyface, Claude Kelly, Salaam Remi and TMS. There have been a few YouTube songs and things along the way, but it’s all seemed quite relaxed.

And now here we are, with a corking debut single ready to go and an album (it’s called ‘Chapter One’, by the way) waiting in the wings.
What a time to be alive.

Source

I wasn't very keen on Ella, but I'm a massive fan of Ryan Tedder's work so I am looking forwards to hearing this.:)

Comments

• d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Interesting that she's the first act they're launching with such care since Leona.

I'm actually looking forward to listening to this now...
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like they're confident in her, but if she succeeds, it could affect Leona's standing in the market, seeing as though they've hired all the same producers for Ella. Personally I think Ella is nothing special. All the hype could go either way, just as it did during her time on the show.

It's not the first time Syco have made big bets on acts though. They worked with Columbia US for 1D and RocNation/Epic US for Alexandra, and both their debuts did incredibly well, so I'll be interested to see how this goes. :)
  • RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    I thought she was over rated in a kind of average series. Only Jahmene and Jade actually impressed in this series.

The problm with any hype is that its hard to live up to and regardless of my feelings of her as a performer she would probably be better off if they were not praising it so much before any release.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Ella was the true star of XF 2012 (even though I prefer James's style and voice). Her voice was just stunning and so powerful. And she made every song her own with her own arrangements. Written in the Stars was just so epic. She really emoted with her voice. She was really underrated. I still cannot believe that she did not win and that people preferred Chris Maloney over here...ugh...

She's going to dominate. ;) I am so excited to hear what she's done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she will bomb no doubt
  • big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella struggled to perform on the show, and her voice had pitching problems at the best of times.

Hopefully they will have sorted those problems out though otherwise she will bomb in the charts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me Ella will always be one of the best contestants to ever appear on the show and her elimination from the show was too early for my liking however am I the only one on here who thinks Ella and the label have took too much time over this debut? Part of me thinks the moment may have passed.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always felt that the show sold her short, so I hope this is really the start of something big.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    For me Ella will always be one of the best contestants to ever appear on the show and her elimination from the show was too early for my liking however am I the only one on here who thinks Ella and the label have took too much time over this debut? Part of me thinks the moment may have passed.

Hey Lemo - I think it's better this way because they've spent time developing her and put a lot of effort into this album. Also I think part of it stems from the XF stigma (people remembering as the one that the public didn't completely get behind) and wanting Ella to get away from that and relaunch her as a completely new thing...

As long as she gets airplay and enough PR which Syco no doubt manage to achieve with their debuts - I think Ella may do just fine esp with this effort and development.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    I think Ella has taken a good enough time to work on her music. Diana Vickers also took a year and a bit to work on her album, and she ended up with a debut number 1 single and album so it does pay off
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon's twitter:

Simon Cowell ‏@SimonCowell Mar 20
    The Ella Henderson album is nearly finished. She has made an amazing album.

Also it looks like she has the same management as Luke:

Crown Management ‏@CrownMGMT Mar 21
    Mr @SimonCowell is excited for @EllaHenderson...are you?? RT The Ella Henderson album is nearly finished. She has made an amazing album
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    SpanishRed wrote: »

Sounds promising. ^_^

Parts of it is very Leona-esque.
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SpanishRed wrote: »

sounds very good
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually really like the sound of that. I liked Ella up to judges houses but lost interest during the lives as she didn't live up to the height. I may give the album a listen on spotify when it comes out and see if all the songs sound this good. It sounds familiar though:confused: Didn't realise her name was Gabriella.
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,465
    Forum Member
    wise-up wrote: »
    I actually really like the sound of that. I liked Ella up to judges houses but lost interest during the lives as she didn't live up to the height. I may give the album a listen on spotify when it comes out and see if all the songs sound this good. It sounds familiar though:confused: Didn't realise her name was Gabriella.

That part made me laugh, sorry.

:p
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a step up in class from Sam Bailey for sure.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlZsAfUzLAA

The dance mix. This is actually quite brilliant if you ask me
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Poy wrote: »
    That part made me laugh, sorry.

:p

Whoops meant to say hype:blush::p
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Its a good song but she's not as good as she's being made out to be, compare her 'Loving You' to Leah McFall's version(who also has an album coming out soon, ironically), then Leah destroys her vocally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Its a good song but she's not as good as she's being made out to be, compare her 'Loving You' to Leah McFall's version(who also has an album coming out soon, ironically), then Leah destroys her vocally.

but you haven't heard to the real version yet? and I know you like Leah Mcfall from previous posts but the constant banging on about her makes her is getting old and in a way making her un appealing
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    but you haven't heard to the real version yet? and I know you like Leah Mcfall from previous posts but the constant banging on about her makes her is getting old and in a way making her un appealing

Yes I have ;), as I said its a good song, its not banging on about her, technically Leah is a lot better and has a more pop star appeal about her, its not fanboy talk, when you watch them both its no competition, Ella is basically being turned into another one of Cowell's 'divas', same old, she's too young to realise it yet. I fear the majority of stuff she'll release will be sterile. Just my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Yes I have ;), as I said its a good song, its not banging on about her, technically Leah is a lot better and has a more pop star appeal about her, its not fanboy talk, when you watch them both its no competition, Ella is basically being turned into another one of Cowell's 'divas', same old, she's too young to realise it yet. I fear the majority of stuff she'll release will be sterile. Just my opinion.

where?
  • HughOSHughOS Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leah McFall is too shrieky and wavery. Ella has a much nicer tone and expressiveness in her voice. Also her high notes in Loving You were much cleaner than Leah's.