Options

scammed

mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
Forum Member
✭✭
hi

i was wondering what my/our rights are if we get scammed..

i ordered a steam mop in early march, a few days later i recieved an email telling me they were out of stock and would i wait 25 days, or have a refubd. i decided to wait.

25 days passed, an email sent, no reply

then a few days later i had an email giving delivery date as april 15th... yep...nowt turned up, no reply to my email either.

looks like ive been scammed..... new area for me, what can i do about it? who do i report it to? the purchase was off a website price-dropshop.co.uk.

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paid by credit card i assume? simply report it to credit card company.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://duckling54.blog.co.uk/2014/03/11/h2o-steam-mop-price-drop-shop-scam-17932867/

First hit on google after looking up the website name, Seems very dodgy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »

hsbc.... no chance...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    http://duckling54.blog.co.uk/2014/03/11/h2o-steam-mop-price-drop-shop-scam-17932867/

First hit on google after looking up the website name, Seems very dodgy.

yeah, i slipped up. i usually check out sites before buying, but overlooked it this time.
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread goes into much more detail.

Seems the people involved have run a string of sites previously.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/other-goods-services/21010-wow-deals-co-uk.html
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly you have been scammed it seems these guys are well know to setup sites offering cheap goods but never send the items and chase you around the houses getting your money back. It would be certainly worth contacting your bank to see if you can get your money back. You never know until you ask.

In future always use your credit card for purchasing online as it gives you project against fraud as in this case. Also with companies that are unknown it is worth checking their contact us section. If they don't have registered address it is normally a sign they are a bit iffy and worth doing some extra research.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers guys.
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contact your bank and request that they do a chargeback. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I'd also report to Trading Standards too.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hsbc.... no chance...

Why do you say that? :confused: If you paid by visa debit then there's chargeback. If it's the visa credit card then just phone them up. They're normally quite good at helping.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »

Only works if the purchase is in excess of £100.
  • Options
    lisa_jaynelisa_jayne Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I duno wot to DO any help tips VERY WELCUM I paid £200 for a tv from pcworld i paid on my card ,it woz faulty i rang so many time as im disabled on a fixed income nrly 20quhd it woz guna b in a taxi , Pcworld ad me on hold that long my credit went wen i spoke the Tech guy sed it woz my arieal (it wozt i cudt pay £40 no1 wud cum they just kept thobbing me off) Trading standards sed its up 2 me prove it wozt my arieal VERY DISAPOINTING iv bin told take them small claims as id rote 2 them NO REPLY they sold me a faulty tv LOGIC they 2s took it didt fix tho ,i feel so dumb i feel the more they knew bout my limied waking n fixed imcome THEYV TAKEN THE PISS my garantee didt do any help i got no joy were i turned . The Law they broke woz Consumor Rites Wot wud any1 else DO the FAULT as got worse . . thankq if any1 reads if any1 replys pls message me so il no pls IM A NEWBIE unsure wot am doing
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lisa, that post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. if you're being serious, you need to try and re-write it with paragraphs for a start and also to run it through a spell checker as well and then people might be able to give you some answers.
  • Options
    lisa_jaynelisa_jayne Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Sorry bout that ,it serious , iv never posted bfor im not sure how things work and how , il edit it thank Q for saying it .
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also, try not to use text speak as well as it makes it very difficult for many posters to understand.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    lisa_jayne wrote: »
    Sorry bout that ,it serious , iv never posted bfor im not sure how things work and how , il edit it thank Q for saying it .

There is no limit to the words or letters you use. There is no need to type in TXT speak.

Sorry but I just find it irritating and can't be bothered to decipher - I know it's probably unreasonable but I just don't take it seriously. I think a lot of folks feel the same.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And now in English.....?
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    There is no limit to the words or letters you use. There is no need to type in TXT speak.

Sorry but I just find it irritating and can't be bothered to decipher - I know it's probably unreasonable but I just don't take it seriously. I think a lot of folks feel the same.

I am the same, I read a bit of that post them gave up, It is harsh but that is how it is
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    lisa_jayne wrote: »
    I duno wot to DO any help tips VERY WELCUM I paid £200 for a tv from pcworld i paid on my card ,it woz faulty i rang so many time as im disabled on a fixed income nrly 20quhd it woz guna b in a taxi , Pcworld ad me on hold that long my credit went wen i spoke the Tech guy sed it woz my arieal (it wozt i cudt pay £40 no1 wud cum they just kept thobbing me off) Trading standards sed its up 2 me prove it wozt my arieal VERY DISAPOINTING iv bin told take them small claims as id rote 2 them NO REPLY they sold me a faulty tv LOGIC they 2s took it didt fix tho ,i feel so dumb i feel the more they knew bout my limied waking n fixed imcome THEYV TAKEN THE PISS my garantee didt do any help i got no joy were i turned . The Law they broke woz Consumor Rites Wot wud any1 else DO the FAULT as got worse . . thankq if any1 reads if any1 replys pls message me so il no pls IM A NEWBIE unsure wot am doing

I'll try to decipher.

She paid for a TV from PC World on her card. It was faulty. She can't return it herself as she's disabled and can't afford a taxi so rang PC World, who put her on hold for so long she ran out of credits. Their technical department said it was a problem with her aerial, but she says it isn't. She couldn't pay £40 so no-one would come (not sure what this means - maybe a call-out charge for someone to investigate the problem?) Trading standards told her it was up to her to prove that it wasn't a problem with her aerial. She's been told to take them to small claims court. She's written to them but they haven't replied. They took the TV but didn't fix it (not sure about this bit!). She feels they've ripped her off because of her disability and fixed income. The guarantee didn't do any good. The fault has got worse.

I'm not sure what to advise, Lisa. Perhaps someone who knows about consumer rights will be able to help more, but it seems sensible to me that if PC World have examined the TV and say it isn't faulty (have they? It's not altogether clear in you post), it's up to you to investigate whether there is indeed a fault on your end.

Edit: There's also this thread. I'm confused now.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957568&highlight=
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be 99.999% certain that its a problem wwith the aerial... Especially if PC world have taken back the television and could not find a fault.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd also report to Trading Standards too.
    Agreed.
    JulesF wrote: »
    I'll try to decipher.

She paid for a TV from PC World on her card. It was faulty. She can't return it herself as she's disabled and can't afford a taxi so rang PC World, who put her on hold for so long she ran out of credits. Their technical department said it was a problem with her aerial, but she says it isn't. She couldn't pay £40 so no-one would come (not sure what this means - maybe a call-out charge for someone to investigate the problem?) Trading standards told her it was up to her to prove that it wasn't a problem with her aerial. She's been told to take them to small claims court. She's written to them but they haven't replied. They took the TV but didn't fix it (not sure about this bit!). She feels they've ripped her off because of her disability and fixed income. The guarantee didn't do any good. The fault has got worse.

I'm not sure what to advise, Lisa. Perhaps someone who knows about consumer rights will be able to help more, but it seems sensible to me that if PC World have examined the TV and say it isn't faulty (have they? It's not altogether clear in you post), it's up to you to investigate whether there is indeed a fault on your end.

Edit: There's also this thread. I'm confused now.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957568&highlight=
    Well done Jules, I think the only part you missed out there was that the TV manufacturer appears to be Logic and that's the 'They' part in bold lisa-jayne seems to be referring to.

Lisa-jayne, I didn't understand what was the fault - for example, is there no picture, a bad picture, not picking up all the channels, etc? If you return to this thread, is it possible to write in sentence without the text speak? You could google for a spell check (that's if you haven't got one already) before posting so that your message is more understandable.
    The best way to prove that it's not your aerial that is faulty is to get someone who bring round a small TV and attach it to that. If the picture/reception is fine, then you have your proof; if it isn't, then the fault is with your aerial.
    Is the item in your other thread the same item you mention on this thread? Then it may be that you bought a computer monitor instead of a TV and although I'm not entirely sure, but there's a difference as not every monitor can be altered with a TV tuner to watch programmes.