Options

Are BBC hiring standards lower in the north than in the south?

gateauxgateaux Posts: 694
Forum Member
✭✭
For example, if you compare BBC London News presenters with the people that have been hired to work on BBC Breakfast since it moved to Salford, it's pretty clear that the talent pool up north isn't great.

That would be fine for most industries where you save money making goods with cheaper labour and nobody is any the wiser, but television is different - your cheap hirings are laid bare to the nation.

Comments

• Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester is not 'up North'...

If Manchester us classed as the North then I must live in another country (North East England)
  • Options
    JohnQuigJohnQuig Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    gateaux wrote: »
    For example, if you compare BBC London News presenters with the people that have been hired to work on BBC Breakfast since it moved to Salford, it's pretty clear that the talent pool up north isn't great.

That would be fine for most industries where you save money making goods with cheaper labour and nobody is any the wiser, but television is different - your cheap hirings are laid bare to the nation.

The talent is actually better. Old stalwarts at TV centre are being replaced with new blood who can do the job better.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member

I take it that you are a southerner then based on the above >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Manchester is not 'up North'...

If Manchester us classed as the North then I must live in another country (North East England)

Manchester is in the North of England, might not be what's traditionally considered "up North", but there's no denying it's in the North of England...
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manchester is in the North of England, might not be what's traditionally considered "up North", but there's no denying it's in the North of England...

Manchester is "up north" if you live further south, just as it could also be considered "down south" for those who live further north.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Manchester is "up north" if you live further south, just as it could also be considered "down south" for those who live further north.

Yeah, but if you take England as a whole, Manchester is basically in the middle. Manchester is in the 'Midlands'.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    Yeah, but if you take England as a whole, Manchester is basically in the middle. Manchester is in the 'Midlands'.

I take it you meant to say the UK as a whole? Birmingham is a much more central location in England than Manchester.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'This is Granada from the north'.

I mean the middle.

Safe to assume Manchester is in the north.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly OT I find it odd that Northumberland is described as part of the 'North East' as opposed to the North.

Must be a regions thing, the North East is never referred to as 'the North' yet Manchester (3 hours from Northumberland) is 'the North'
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, all the talent is in London. The rest of the country is a creative wasteland where all the people are fat and stupid.

They smell, too.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    For the Geographically challenged in this thread, Northern England includes the traditional counties of Cheshire, (arguably North Derbyshire), Yorkshire and all points north as far as the Scottish border. Roughly it's England north of a wavy line from the Dee to the Humber and Greater Manchester is most certainly included. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_Northern_England.png

Just because some people live at the northern end of that area does not mean they can deny others further south in the area the right to call themselves northerners.

But obviously, back on topic, the Greater Manchester + Merseyside areas with a population of say 4 million is bound to have a smaller talent pool than say the Greater London commuting area with over 10 million, and because the best of Salford Quays will tend to be stolen by Broadcasting House (such is Large Corporate life).
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I cant see any variability across the board in the standards.Can you give an example of what you mean?
  • Options
    markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can only think of one BBC London News presenter that is even remotely in the same league as the presenter pool in Salford, and I'm a Southerner. Maybe you just have an affinity towards presenters who talk about London a lot?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Slightly OT I find it odd that Northumberland is described as part of the 'North East' as opposed to the North.

Must be a regions thing, the North East is never referred to as 'the North' yet Manchester (3 hours from Northumberland) is 'the North'

So why is the BBC local news programme from Newcastle called Look North ?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

The original BBC North Region was based on Manchester, studio centres then developed in Leeds and Newcastle. Don't the BBC use 'Look North' for all the regional news programmes in that area? A viewer in each area will only see their local one, unless they start fiddling around on Freesat, so it does not matter that there is another one based somewhere else in the region.

They are only down South anyway!
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The original BBC North Region was based on Manchester, studio centres then developed in Leeds and Newcastle. Don't the BBC use 'Look North' for all the regional news programmes in that area? A viewer in each area will only see their local one, unless they start fiddling around on Freesat, so it does not matter that there is another one based somewhere else in the region.

They are only down South anyway!

The Manchester local programme is actually called North West Tonight and not Look North. There is also a Look North from Hull for east Yorkshire and Lincolnshire although it is known to most viewers as the Peter Levy Show.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those who have stated on this thread that Manchester doesn't lie in the North of England would do well to look at a UK map and realise that Manchester is actually further north than Sheffield is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The Manchester local programme is actually called North West Tonight and not Look North. There is also a Look North from Hull for east Yorkshire and Lincolnshire although it is known to most viewers as the Peter Levy Show.

Many years since I saw it, it used to be Look North.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Yorkshire local news is also called look north and thats only 2 hours by train from London!
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The BBC, which is the British Broadcasting Corporation, does not just cover England.

In British terms, Manchester is not in the north.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    The BBC, which is the British Broadcasting Corporation, does not just cover England.

But he twice used 'North of England' and never mentioned Britain or North Britain.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »

Nor is North East England, Scotland is the North of Britain.
    As somebody who comes from Greater Manchester I've never heard anybody refer to it as the Midlands, it's definitely in the North of England. People in the North East are in the far North.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Nor is North East England, Scotland is the North of Britain.
    As somebody who comes from Greater Manchester I've never heard anybody refer to it as the Midlands, it's definitely in the North of England. P eople in the North East are in the far North.

It's all relative, Glasgow and Scotland (where I suspect some of these comments originate) are in the South of Scotland but like to talk as if they are in the 'North'.