My Cat is a Squirter

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    All your cats are so adorable.

I used to have a cat called Clouseau (my mum used to spell it Closo) and she was so adorable. I loved her so much. I really missed leaving her behind when I went into care. :(

Unfortunately, she died of a heart attack. :( It still makes me really upset and that was 2 years ago. :(

I really want another cat. I'm such a cat lover. We have a shelter about 10 miles from us, but I suffer from agoraphobia so I can't get to it. :(

xx

Have you thought about ringing them up? Not sure which shelter is closest to you (I know there's at least a Blue Cross and Wood Green) but if you rang and explained to them about your situation maybe they could help? There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to offer a home to a needy cat, though the only problem I could see is it may be difficult for you to choose one as most people would look around a shelter. Maybe they'd consider home visit or similar? Hope you can find a solution :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Not had problems with any of our female cats squirting or marking, but the boy has been known to wee in certain places :mad:

One of our female Bengal cats (not good quality pic)

Tasha

and her nephew, also a Bengal (he's a real big boy:D)

Dennis
  • lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My big ginger boy does this too, it's nothing to do with "spraying", the smell is totally different, in fact it's VILE and almost impossible to get out of upholstery, and duvets as we found to our cost.

We asked our vet and he said his cat does the same thing(!) but there's not a lot that can be done about it except try a change of diet. The substance does come from the cat's anal glands - which normally empty when they do their no. 2's - however, if their faeces tend to be soft, or they have a weak gland "valve" it can leak out involuntarily any time, especially if they've not had much exercise, i.e. eaten, then fallen asleep for hours on end, like ours tends to do. Then if he gets up and stretches, or we pick him up and make a fuss of him, it puts pressure on the gland and it secretes.

Our cat alway knows immediately it's happened and if he's been sitting on my lap he always jumps off me straight away and tries to lick away the evidence (yuk). I feel a bit sorry for him actually - I think he's as ashamed of it as we're appalled! Our vet suggested we try feeding him on some high fibre dried food he sells in his practice, which we did but it made no difference. We try to make sure he exercises regularly by putting him out after he's eaten (and trying to ignore his scratching at the door to come back in after a minute:D), and playing with him regularly with a stick and string which gets him jumping about, but apart from that there doesn't seem to be a lot we can do.

I found this link which seems to confirm what my vet said:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/345904

I hope this at least helps you understand what it is, even if you can't cure it!
  • gonnaenodaethatgonnaenodaethat Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh boy I'm glad I'm not alone LOL.

Bella is a very very energetic cat and torments the life out of the older ones. She eats EVERYTHING. She even likes broccolli!! It only happens every couple of months and only when she is really ecstatic to see me. Its just the one squirt and its gone but the smell is appaling LOL. It seems us few here have little rarities on our hands.

I'll take Bella to the vet in the new year but i'm not worried at all as I know she isn't unwell. (Shes attacking my fingers from nehind the keyboard as I type this Grrrrr)

Thank you to everyone who has took the time to read and respond. Your moggies are lovely too.

and yes Laura Jane your wee sweetheart looks like my Chicken Barbara. So sweet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ninjakev wrote: »
    Not had problems with any of our female cats squirting or marking, but the boy has been known to wee in certain places :mad:

One of our female Bengal cats (not good quality pic)

Tasha

and her nephew, also a Bengal (he's a real big boy:D)

Dennis

Crokey he's a big boy!!
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lorry wrote: »
    My big ginger boy does this too, it's nothing to do with "spraying", the smell is totally different, in fact it's VILE and almost impossible to get out of upholstery, and duvets as we found to our cost.

We asked our vet and he said his cat does the same thing(!) but there's not a lot that can be done about it except try a change of diet. The substance does come from the cat's anal glands - which normally empty when they do their no. 2's - however, if their faeces tend to be soft, or they have a weak gland "valve" it can leak out involuntarily any time, especially if they've not had much exercise, i.e. eaten, then fallen asleep for hours on end, like ours tends to do. Then if he gets up and stretches, or we pick him up and make a fuss of him, it puts pressure on the gland and it secretes.

Our cat alway knows immediately it's happened and if he's been sitting on my lap he always jumps off me straight away and tries to lick away the evidence (yuk). I feel a bit sorry for him actually - I think he's as ashamed of it as we're appalled! Our vet suggested we try feeding him on some high fibre dried food he sells in his practice, which we did but it made no difference. We try to make sure he exercises regularly by putting him out after he's eaten (and trying to ignore his scratching at the door to come back in after a minute:D), and playing with him regularly with a stick and string which gets him jumping about, but apart from that there doesn't seem to be a lot we can do.

I found this link which seems to confirm what my vet said:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/345904

I hope this at least helps you understand what it is, even if you can't cure it!

Thanks, lorry, that is all very helpful. My cat hardly exercises - she doesn't go out at all - except for the mad run-around every now and then. :D
  • Laurajayne7981Laurajayne7981 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWINS LOL. uncanny. 2 Felixes!!

I know! i showed my OH the pic of your cat and he was laughing cause they look so much alike. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    MigMogMash wrote: »
    Have you thought about ringing them up? Not sure which shelter is closest to you (I know there's at least a Blue Cross and Wood Green) but if you rang and explained to them about your situation maybe they could help? There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to offer a home to a needy cat, though the only problem I could see is it may be difficult for you to choose one as most people would look around a shelter. Maybe they'd consider home visit or similar? Hope you can find a solution :)

That's a good idea. :) Just need to get over my phone phobia first.lol.

The nearest shelter to us is Wood Green I think which is in Godmanchester but I've heard that there might be a Cats Protection shelter closer to the town where I live.

I don't see why not either. We have the room and the house is very tidy and we both have the time for a pet.

I've seen people selling cats in the local paper. That's kind of a grey area with me because my mum says it's wrong to sell animals so I'm confused about whether it's a good way to get a pet or whether it's cruel..lol.

Thanks for your help. *hugs*

xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    GRAPHIC POO TYPE ANSWER! :eek: A cat or dogs' anal glands are normally emptied when they go for a poo. Sometimes if the poo isn't firm enough the glands don't empty normally and can get a bit full and even infected. Then if the cat or dog is nervous or excited a bit of the stinky stuff in the gland can be released - (being at the vet is a usual 'squirting' scenario - poor vet)
    Some dogs especially are partcularly prone to this problem and changing their diet can sometimes help but in extreme cases the glands need to be removed completely.
    I've never known of a case where a cat's glands have had to be removed.
    Hope this is helpful and hasn't put anyone off their dinner.
    :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    That's a good idea. :) Just need to get over my phone phobia first.lol.

The nearest shelter to us is Wood Green I think which is in Godmanchester but I've heard that there might be a Cats Protection shelter closer to the town where I live.

I don't see why not either. We have the room and the house is very tidy and we both have the time for a pet.

I've seen people selling cats in the local paper. That's kind of a grey area with me because my mum says it's wrong to sell animals so I'm confused about whether it's a good way to get a pet or whether it's cruel..lol.

Thanks for your help. *hugs*

xx

If it was me I would prefer to get one from a shelter, though I admit I'm a little biased as I work for one :o If you have a problem with phones as well, you could consider emailing them? Or would your mum phone one for you?

Here's a link to shelters in Cambs, most seem to have email contact :)
    http://www.catchat.org/adoption/cambs.html

I really hope you can get a suitable cat, certainly at my shelter there's lots that would benefit from someone being around to give them lots of attention. I would expect most other shelters will be the same :)

(sorry for hijacking your thread slightly OP, I tried to PM but wasn't able to)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

For the poster who wants a cat - go to a rescue. Give an older cat a chance. Most of my cats came about this way. You won't regret it.

I'll come back and report if and when I have the pleasure of a squirty bum again and let you know what the vet thinks.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Smelly pussy that cant be nice. Lol :D
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad this thread turned out not to be a boast by someone having an inappropriate relationship with their cat.

:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies for dragging up an old thread. Squirty bum Bella has been squirt free this year until now. And my god does she pick her place. It was all over my keyboard and monitor. The whole place stinks to high heavens ha ha ha. By the way the vet said it was nothing to worry about. Its not unusual for a cat to do it but its not very common. That'll teach me for giving her a clap when she was all lovey dovey. i should have known the little b*gger had an hidden agenda.
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    my cats anal glands was always full once a year and he had brown liquid come from him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshsarah wrote: »
    my cats anal glands was always full once a year and he had brown liquid come from him

And don't it half reek?!?! If its once a year I can just about cope with her doing it LOL.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I'm so glad I found this list... I thought we had an oddball puss and it has been really hard to find any info on the net about this.

We have three cats (Brother and Sisters) and only one of the girls "squirts" what looks like watery poo - much more watery than loose stools - I don't know what it smells like... I think I'd be sick if I caught a whff. I've only see her do it twice but it's normally when she's getting a fussing so I try to avoid her rear end.. which is hard because she stands with her back to me most of the time.

We will bring her to the vet because not only did she squirt but she was also sick last night after she made a mess so there may be something more going on there. She is a very greedy cat and is therefore overweight. She is always looking for food and will eat the her siblings food if we don't watch her. We feed her less than the others to try to control her weight but I just know she goes out and finds food elsewhere because it has been almost impossible to reduce her weight.

I wonder if she has some sort of medical condition which causes her savage appetite and this squirting too?

Anyway, thanks all!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    My male cat has done this a few times..Its not a squirt..more of a leak. As others have said mine has done it when we are fussing him. It is the most disgusting vile thing I have ever smelt. Indescibably. oooooowwww im gagging at the thought.

Fortunately the few times he has done has been when he has been sitting on my OH lap so its gone on his clothes and not mine! i throw them straight in washing machine and so far havent had a problem with it getting on the sofa etc.

I spoke to vet about it when he last went for a vaccination and he said there is nothing wrong with him and its just something some cats do. My cat does suffer occasionally with acid stomach (where is builds up and makes him sick) but that happens about once a year not matter what I feed him. No idea if there is a connection but you have my sympathies!
  • Tuffnutz2008Tuffnutz2008 Posts: 2,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still squirting lol. I know the signs now. She gets all excited and tries to suck my hear. Then in a flash she.s squirted on anything thats in the direction of her bum. I love her to bits still. Honestly. Lol
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirty Girl :D (Harry Hill Mode)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So long as the cat isn't unwell those that do void their anal glands tend to do so when particularly emotional, i.e things that could cause a sudden buttock clench I suppose (:o), hence the squeezed, voided glands: vet visits particularly injections, cat fights, sudden startles, scarey dogs suddenly up close, petting etc. Not much you can do about it, other than avoid getting the cat over emotional.....and maybe carry a nose peg :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its the petting that does it. Nothing scares her. She.s a bit of a monster really. If i go on the pc thats when she jumps up for the rare cuddles she demands. She.s not a lap cat at all usually. It only happens every 2 or 3 months now thankfully. I know to avoid the business end when she starts to sniff my ear lobes lol