Options

Non sweary alternative to GTA?

Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
Forum Member
Can anyone think of an open world type game similar to GTA that is suitable for under 18s?

They either seem to be full of swearing etc or designed for kiddies such as Toy Story 3 or the Lego games.

is there anything that sits somewhere in-between?

Comments

• Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is it that appeals to you? There are lots of "open world" games, but the play styles and objectives vary massively. Are you looking for gun play, driving, exploration......?

As for recent examples, you don't say which format you have, but Infamous Second Son on PS4 has very little in the way bad launguage.

Alternatively, Sunset Overdrive on Xbox One is full of it, but you can choose to bleep the swearing out.

Both are open world, but not particularly "similar" to GTA V.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is it that appeals to you? There are lots of "open world" games, but the play styles and objectives vary massively. Are you looking for gun play, driving, exploration......?

Yeah, that's a good point. This question was raised after a friend asked me if GTA would be suitable for her 12 and 14 year old boys. I said no. Got me thinking that I couldn't think of any big release games that feature open world type gameplay that were suitable without being overly childish. Havent played the new one but would think Far Cry wouldnt be suitable. Far Cry 3 wasnt. I think even the Batman Arkham games feature the odd swear.

Maybe the Tomb Raider remake would fit.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fine, I know GTAV is 18 rated but by 12 and 14 they will have heard a fair few swears by now, surely? Is it just the swearing that is an issue? Violence towards others not being a problem?
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Sleeping Dogs PS4, can't remember much in that, when I played it on the PS3, Tomb Raider (ok not so much of an open world). Dragon Age (not GTA) but open world, as makes no difference.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Are you talking the new consoles ??

Because there's always Skyrim on the old ones. I wouldn't consider Tomb Raider an open world game. You can return to previous areas but it's not really open world.

Oh and don't knock the Lego games. They're awesome. Lego Marvel Superheroes is my favourite and that has quite a nice open world in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The platform isnt important. I have looked at Skyrim, Sleeping dogs and Dragon Age but they all have ratings that would make them unsuitable (17+ or M).

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to suggest the Assassins Creed 4 or Unity but just checked and they're rated 18 as well. I suppose they're pretty violent but there isn't quite the same abundance of swearing and, er, sexual activity as featured in the GTA games.
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Simpsons Hit and Run is a pretty good GTA style game for kids.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its been awhile since I played it but Just Cause 2 might fit the bill. Otherwise you might want to look at games like NFS Most Wanted or Burnout Paradise which offer an open world driving game.
  • Options
    Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »

+1 Cracking game, and very clean!
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Well the Final Fantasy games were all very open world but didn't rely on bad language. And from there I guess a lot of JRPGs would suit.

What about Nintendo games like Zelda. Maybe not very open world but certainly suitable for younger folk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some great suggestions, thanks. Simpsons Hit N Run and Burnout Paradise...didnt think of those.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The platform isnt important. I have looked at Skyrim, Sleeping dogs and Dragon Age but they all have ratings that would make them unsuitable (17+ or M).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Skyrim & DA are only rated that because of the abundance of violence. But it is mainly fantasy violence.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think sleeping dogs will be suitable... Has its fair share of violence and language...

At nearly 15 I have bought GTA V on PS4 for my oldest...

The youngest has no chance at 11... Although I have let him fly a plane wth no sound
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Skyrim & DA are only rated that because of the abundance of violence. But it is mainly fantasy violence.

I agree. I would be quite happy a 12 year old playing Skyrim. There's no swears or sexytime.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LEGO City Undercover is excellent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    It depends on the level, I would suggest the Fallout series.

Personally I don't like playing as a criminal, that always gets me.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LEGO undercover on the WiiU! 👍

(Absolutely fantastic game imo) 😉
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    LEGO undercover on the WiiU! 👍

(Absolutely fantastic game imo) 😉

It is, wish I had kept it, traded it in last year
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is, wish I had kept it, traded it in last year

CEX is ya friend! 😉 ... I still can't believe it never got a multiplatform release! 🙈
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Theres a fair amount of sex in DA, so it's more than 'just' violence.

Skyrim is probably ok. The violence there is more like Lord of the Rings/Hobbit level, so ok for early teenagers.

They're in a bit of a middle ground, too old for proper kids games, but not old enough for more adult things. Once they get to around 15/16, then they're probably ok.
  • Options
    MmmbopMmmbop Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »

+2. Genuinely one of my favourite games of all time, completed it three times I think. Traded it in a couple of years ago and have regretted it numerous times when I've been in the mood for playing it.