So scared, Dog face swollen.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Hi everyone.

I am extremely worried about my Dog right now.

On Saturday evening she knocked her face on a chair, it wasn't a big knock, just a little knock as she was running to come for a walk. I didn't think any of it, she enjoyed her walk.

When I gave her her dinner that night she was eating it strangly, she was picking it up at the front of her mouth and seemed to struggle with eating it.

Yesterday she wasn't taking treats, wasn't barking nearly half as much as usual and again seriously struggled with her dinner. So of course panic sets in.............today she has been kind of her usual self, barking when we put the bins out, but not barking at walk times. She won't take treats, and now this evening we have noticed that the side of her face is swollen :cry:

She doesn't seem to mind if we touch the outside of it, or stroke her head, but she won't let us look inside.

Of course she is going to have to go to the vets, but I am terrified of what is going to happen next. If it's something like a tooth abscess, will she have to stay in overnight? She's 10 years old and never been away from home, I am panicking at the thought of having to leave her there...........

If it is a tooth abscess, will she need surgery or could she be treated at home with antibiotics? Has any one been through this before? x

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to do I know but calm down, she will pick up on your mood and that won't help at all. Tooth abscess is usually treated with antibiotics at home and tooth removal is not an over night stay either. But it may just be bruising so try not to worry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Hard to do I know but calm down, she will pick up on your mood and that won't help at all. Tooth abscess is usually treated with antibiotics at home and tooth removal is not an over night stay either. But it may just be bruising so try not to worry.

Thank you mollie, you're right I know she picks up on my mood, so I am acting normal with her. She has eaten her dinner tonight, slowly but she did enjoy it. She is sleeping like a baby now, I will speak with the vet tomorrow and see what he says.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eves, maybe the swelling will go down tonight but you're doing the right thing taking her to the vet's. As molliepops says, it would possibly be antibiotics, before anything surgical, anyway. In the meantime, I'd take some comfort from the fact she did eat - if it is something really bad, they usually won't eat at all, eh? Love to her, and let us know how she gets on.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it possible she has a stick injury? I used to throw my dog sticks till she caught one awkwardly though I didn't realise at the time. She went off both food and water! Turns out the stick had injured her throat and she had to have surgery to remove some little splinters remaining.
    Good luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is she this morning ?
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is she?
    Maybe it is just bruising
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news OP ?
    Forum Member
    We're off to the vet at 4:15 today, I am so nervous I feel sick!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck !
    Forum Member
    Good luck !

Thank you mollie :), we're leaving in 30 mins, I'm praying that we can just get her antibiotics and painkillers and all will be well, so scared that it is something more serious and will need an operation!
    Forum Member
    We're back.

It's not her teeth, the vet said that she has very good teeth for her age! She has an infection in her mouth which is causing the swelling, she's been given ceporex and rimadyl that she needs for the next 5 days which will hopefully sort her out.

Shes also a little bit overweight :blush: but only a little bit.

Fingers crossed these meds help, thank you everyone for the support xxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh poor girl still it's good she hasn't got a tooth problem hopefully this will be sorted out with the tablets. Give her a little gentle hug from me , horrible when they aren't feeling well isn't it :(
    Forum Member
    Oh poor girl still it's good she hasn't got a tooth problem hopefully this will be sorted out with the tablets. Give her a little gentle hug from me , horrible when they aren't feeling well isn't it :(

Thank you :).

She's getting plenty of TLC, she's snoring away in her bed at the moment with a full tummy and her first dose of meds. I will certainly give her that hug x

It really is awful when they're not well, I would rather be unwell myself that her be in any pain. I'm hoping she wakes up her usually cheeky self tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah those antibiotics normally work pretty fast. It's good that she doesn't need surgery and a good side effect of all this is you can catch the weight thing before it becomes a real problem. When you're with them all the time it's sometimes difficult to realise they're putting on weight so a result all round!
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Ah those antibiotics normally work pretty fast. It's good that she doesn't need surgery and a good side effect of all this is you can catch the weight thing before it becomes a real problem. When you're with them all the time it's sometimes difficult to realise they're putting on weight so a result all round!

She is already about 50% better I am so happy!!

I know we really need to get her weight in check, she does have too many treats, I think if we cut down on those it will help a lot. I'll take her for a check over in the new year to see if it's down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will she eat carrots ? we give raw carrots as treats - low calories but sweet.
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Please don't give your dog sticks or let them chew on them.
    My dog was a stick dog until the day he did a poo and there was something sticking out his bum.
    It was a tiny little thing and we tried to get a hold of it(with gloved hands).
    It came out but it was a splinter of wood that was quite bigger than would be normal out of a human body so we knew it was too big for a dog.
    Since then ....no sticks for our dog.
    He adores them and we need to keep sticks away from him.
    If you want a vets bill...let your dog eat sticks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is already about 50% better I am so happy!!

I know we really need to get her weight in check, she does have too many treats, I think if we cut down on those it will help a lot. I'll take her for a check over in the new year to see if it's down.

Pleased to hear she's feeling better. Only a little bit overweight so cutting down the treats should be a great help. We've been going to puppy training classes with our pup and using hot dog sausages cut into little pieces as high value treats and as we practice a couple of times in the day (and use them for recall in the garden!) I was shocked to realise today pup ate 3 whole sausages over the course of the day. On top of her normal 3 meals. (She's only 13 weeks). :o I bet it soon adds up!