Christopher Reeve Superman films

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Channel 5 are running the four Reeve era Superman films on Sunday and I always wonder which one people find the best and worst. I always think Superman 2 is the best as it summarises what happens in the first film and expands on the expulsion of General Zod and his two allies from Krypton. Even thiugh it's 34 years old now, Superman 2's special effects are still very impressive and the story of General Zod trying to take over Earth is excellent. Also the supporting cast of Terence Stamp as Zod, Margot Kidder as Lois Lane, and Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor couldn't be bettered.
However, the standard had well and truly dropped by the final film. It seemed rushed and forgettable and I wasn't impressed.

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    4 is the worst, 3 is ok and 1 & 2 are the best.
    Though I must say that when it comes to Superman 2, I do actually prefer the Richard Donner cut over the theatrical release.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Though I must say that when it comes to Superman 2, I do actually prefer the Richard Donner cut over the theatrical release.

3 was where the standards dropped for me. It's still good, but Robert Vaughn isn't as good as Gene Hackman and Lois Lane being largely absent spoiled it as the romantic frisson between Lois Lane and Superman made the films better. I'll have to check out the Richard Donner cut of 2.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Four is so poor I don't have a copy in my collection. 1 & 2 are the best. Can't make up my mind about the Donner cut of 2 if I prefer it or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Four is so poor I don't have a copy in my collection. 1 & 2 are the best. Can't make up my mind about the Donner cut of 2 if I prefer it or not.

4 was supposed to herald the return of Lex Luthor, but it was a botched job and Nuclearman was totally forgettable. 3 sort of works, the comedy is quite good and the bad Superman is a clever idea, but the near absence of Lois Lane and Clark Kent falling for an old school friend spoils it for me as the main part of the stories is the relationship between Superman and Lois. However, it does carry over some ideas from the original with Clark going out with Lana and Brad, once the school football hero and dismissive of Clark, being shown as a failure with a liking for alcohol.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    All I remember about Superman three is that it had Richard Prior in it and something to do with being turned into a robot at the end.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The order of the films gives you the order of quality. 1,2,3,4.

Although there should be a massive gap between 3 and 4.

'Quest For Peace' is a terrible, terrible film.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never liked 3. Haven't seen 4. Find 1 heavy going for the most part now. 2 is quite fun, and the only one I'd want to watch again.
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't see Superman 4 on the EPG, looks like they are going up to number 3 on Sunday then stopping for Christmas films

As for preference

Superman 2 - Richard Donner Cut puts this one at the top of the list

Superman The Movie - What can be said, superb from start to finish but just edged out by 2

Superman 3 - In this film's defense, Clark v Superman in the junkyard is really well done. Richard Pryor doesn't really get a chance to show off his comedy talent too much though and the lack of Lex Luthor and Lois Lane hurts the film immensely

Superman 4 - Poorest of the CR films, and the man himself admitted in an interview somewhere making this film was a mistake.

Mind you the two films after the CR era haven't been much better, hopefully Dawn of Justice can go someway to redeeming Superman on film
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAHA
    what's the best and what's the worst!!!
    that's like asking when does the krypton sun rises?????

1>2>3>>>>returns>>>>>>>>>man of steel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 & 2 everything else forget about.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 2, superman turns out to be a bit of a bully at the end, doesn't he?
    Forum Member
    In 2, superman turns out to be a bit of a bully at the end, doesn't he?

No not at all, Clarke goes back to the diner and puts the bully trucker in his place.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member

Doesn't everyone?
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Doesn't everyone?

Where exactly can you see this Richard Donner cut of Superman 2? Everyone goes on about it but I have never seen it anywhere. Did it ever get a cinema release? Is it on dvd?
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Where exactly can you see this Richard Donner cut of Superman 2? Everyone goes on about it but I have never seen it anywhere. Did it ever get a cinema release? Is it on dvd?

Yeah it was released on DVD & Blu-ray ages ago.
    I originally got it on DVD in a Superman 2 three disc special edition which contained both theatrical and the Donner Cut, it was also included as part of the Superman Deluxe Edition Blu-Ray boxset.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I thought all four were rubbish to be honest, guessing I'm in the minority here though.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    I thought all four were rubbish to be honest, guessing I'm in the minority here though.

Do you not like General Zod?
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Donner Cut is generally pretty good. The ending, however, is AWFUL!
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    The main problem, imo, is that in the Donner cut, one important scene, is actually part of Chris Reeve's audition tape and if I remember correctly, the ending is just a rehash of the end of Superman 1 !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »

Fair does, I never got the Batman films.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superman 2
    Superman
    Superman 3
    Superman 4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    No not at all, Clarke goes back to the diner and puts the bully trucker in his place.

he's been working out lol

I love these Superman films, miss Reeve as Superman :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    he's been working out lol

I love these Superman films, miss Reeve as Superman :(

Also Lois Lane isn't exactly a shrinking violet, flattening Ursa, a theme that would be picked up in the television version where Lois is an expert in karate.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first movie is still a classic, and manages to balance the epic, the funny, the heroic and the camp (hell, even the romantic) in a way that no superhero movie has really done since, and Christopher Reeve will never get quite enough credit for his fantastic performance as Superman/Clark Kent...

And to answer the question, 1-2-3-4...
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member

I think the Donner Cut of Superman 2 is vastly overrated because it was "lost" for so long. I prefer the Lester version. That whole stuff of Lois throwing herself out of the Daily Planet window and then shooting Clark Kent was too much.