Options

Opinion Polls Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That NOP poll is slightly out of line with the rest, all of which show a small Labour lead and have done for most of the last few years.
    The Conservatives are relying on a big giveaway in the next budget immediately before the election. It will probably work, but not enough to give them a majority. Of course in between now and then we have events.
  • Options
    J LeninJ Lenin Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yougov showing 4 point Labour lead.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J Lenin wrote: »
    Yougov showing 4 point Labour lead.

The figures:

Con 32%, Lab 36%, LD 6%, UKIP 16%;
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    That NOP poll is slightly out of line with the rest, all of which show a small Labour lead and have done for most of the last few years.
    The Conservatives are relying on a big giveaway in the next budget immediately before the election. It will probably work, but not enough to give them a majority. Of course in between now and then we have events.

I hate to say it but tell me the pollster and I will probably predict the poll result - UKIP, Tory and LD scores always vary dramatically between pollsters depending on methodology and weighting. Cos they can't all be right - and they haven't yet had the chance to be tested in a five party general election world rather then a 3 party one in England.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @LordAshcroft: Survation/Mirror poll LAB 33% CON 30% UKIP 21% LDEM 10%

Doesn't seem the UKIP negative press has had any affect on this poll - quite the reverse.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The figures:

Con 32%, Lab 36%, LD 6%, UKIP 16%;

Ouch :D
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Ouch :D
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
    Latest UNS projection puts Labour on course for a 26 seat majority, certainly could be a hell of a lot better, but with an election just a little over 3 months away, it could also be a hell of a lot worse.
    The Tories really do have a mountain to climb if they want to even have a chance of being part of a coalition, and their chances of gaining a majority are not looking good at all,
    So, we go into the new year on a cautiously optimistic note,
    My best wishes for the new year to ALL who read this.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, next year it's a choice between vomit pie (Conservative) and mouldy leftovers with gravy (Labour). yum.

The Fish 'n Chips (UKIP) are overcooked and soggy, and the cabbages and sprouts (Greens) are going to be left on the hob as usual.

The economy burgers (LibDem) are probably best left in the freezer, you don't know what's in them.

Happy Christmas everyone! Now, where's that shortbread (SNP)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's end this Eton mess.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't Labour the point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tories really do have a mountain to climb if they want to even have a chance of being part of a coalition, and their chances of gaining a majority are not looking good at all,

Ho, ho, ho :D
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
    Latest UNS projection puts Labour on course for a 26 seat majority.

Which would be Labour's lowest majority victory to win an Election since 1964.

That's far too low for a secure government if you ask me.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soppyfan wrote: »

Yup. We are well into hung parliament territory now. Labour & SNP & Lib Dem coalition is looking likely.
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about the 3 seat majority in 1974?

Also the Conservatives had a 5 year term with a 21 seat majority, despite it being effectively wiped out in 1996.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They won a 3 seat majority in 1974 and managed to hold out until May 1979, with a pact with the Lib Dems.

Major won a 21 seat majority in 1992 and went on for 5 years.

Heath won a 30 seat majority in 1970 and went for 3 and a half years, forced into an early election by the three day week.

Churchill won a 17 seat majority in 1951 and the Tories carried on for 4 years.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which I would gladdy accept because the Tories would be out of government and that will do for me, Also, it might very well only be a small majority, but it is a majority that Cameron would have been delighted with in May 2010, and I am certain would be delighted with in a little over 3 months time,

I may well be "too low for a secure government IF I asked you" but low or not, I can bet there would be no shortage of Tory supporters sneering and cheering in this very thread should THEY have such a "low" majority on the morning of May 8th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    They won a 3 seat majority in 1974 and managed to hold out until May 1979, with a pact with the Lib Dems.

I'm aware of that, I was just basing it on Labour winning an Election after being the opposition party.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

26 might be uncomfortably low but i believe that if you were to offer that to either Cameron or Miliband right now, both of them would snap your hand off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never vote for either of them and never will, BOTH are as bad as each other.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    A Labour/UKIP coalition would be funny to see, if only for witnessing the foaming at the mouth from the eternally loyal supporters of the party.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salmond now 6/1 to serve as a minister under Ed Miliband government.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/12/alex-salmond-now-61-to-serve-as-a-minister-under-ed-miliband/

Who would have predicted that a year ago. Could SNP be a bigger story than UKIP in May?
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,595
    Forum Member

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/12/alex-salmond-now-61-to-serve-as-a-minister-under-ed-miliband/

Who would have predicted that a year ago. Could SNP be a bigger story than UKIP in May?

Come May 8th the story will be that UKIP are dismayed that they have so few seats and Farage was not elected
    The SNP are the only party who can look at the polls and feel confident of a good result in May
  • Options
    DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Come May 8th the story will be that UKIP are dismayed that they have so few seats and Farage was not elected

You may well be right, but it's a start and would guess UK politics will never be the same.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Be interesting if it happens - could be a constitutional crisis within a year if a Labour supporting SNP start voting on Laws that dont affect Scotland.

What fun.. :D
This discussion has been closed.