Comments

• Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Er?

Really? Still sure about that? :D

Good to see Mrs. James Cracknell and Shelagh Fogarty on board. Both listen to callers and don't interrupt them mid sentence or are aggressive like JHB.

I am not that familiar with Shelagh Fogarty, but it is very important to challenge some callers perceptions, is she likely to do this?

I might listen for her first week, but if she just agrees with everybody, like many presenters do, I'll be listening to Steve Wright in the afternoons.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    The days are gone when I used to like him.

I used to like him too in the beginning. But over the last six months or so he's got very big-headed and rude.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Olly Mann is boring, I rarely tune in to his show at all now. Sam Pittis is even worse. They just haven't got any personality to make me want to listen.

LBC need livening up, big time. We either get the boorish Barkes or the insipid Pittis, nothing inbetween.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    I am not that familiar with Shelagh Fogarty, but it is very important to challenge some callers perceptions, is she likely to do this?

I might listen for her first week, but if she just agrees with everybody, like many presenters do, I'll be listening to Steve Wright in the afternoons.
    Don't let Nick Abbot know that you listen to him!
    Olly Mann is boring, I rarely tune in to his show at all now. Sam Pittis is even worse. They just haven't got any personality to make me want to listen.

LBC need livening up, big time. We either get the boorish Barkes or the insipid Pittis, nothing inbetween.
    I don't agree about Barkes as he does challenge some of the callers which does make good Radio.

John Stapleton seems ok but again is a bit boring. I wander what Darren Adams will be like, I think LBC need to try new presenters but not ones that have a background in politics, Tv or reading news. I think Katherine Boyle would be good for this I know she is a producer but she has been a presenter and knows about good radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barkes was boring when he first started on LBC but he's improved and I like his spats with callers.

I'm glad Larry 'the' Lamb is going. Never liked him. Boring and out of his league.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barkes was boring when he first started on LBC but he's improved and I like his spats with callers.

I'm glad Larry 'the' Lamb is going. Never liked him. Boring and out of his league.

The good new is you can catch him on the BBC he has been signed up for the cast of "New Tricks";-)

Personally l liked him on LBC.
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hard to believe, but it's true. Why can't LBC get decent presenters?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

The good news is you can catch him on the BBC he has been signed up for the cast of "New Tricks";-)

Personally l liked him on LBC.

Nice Christmas present for you then. :):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They have but give him less work Ian Collins.!:(>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice Christmas present for you then. :):p

Yes indeed. Ho Ho Ho.:D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They don't have the guts to sign someone like Tommy Boyd, and Tommy wouldn't do it anyway as he'd be given a long list of things NOT to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't have the guts to sign someone like Tommy Boyd, and Tommy wouldn't do it anyway as he'd be given a long list of things NOT to say.

No i think you are right they could forget a topic list and it all starts next,as it would all really start next.!:o

Cannot imagine how the late great Mick Dickin would have got on ,on LBC now.

I am very surprised Mike Graham stayed with talkSPORT after their switch away from talk radio too.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Don't remember her doing her own show. She used to appear weekly with David Prever, I think.

Would seem more likely. The old duffer forgets stuff.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tommy Boyd was a presenter on LBC in a previous incarnation. Don't know if he was generally popular, but I didn't like him, far too 'silly' for my liking!
  • Options
    dfisher1dfisher1 Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have but give him less work Ian Collins.!:(>:(

Ian Collins is great. I just don't know why they don't use him more? I'd like to see him stand-in for Iain Dale on Drive rather than the insipid Ian Payne. I feel Collins certainly has enough political nous to carry on the format of Iain Dale's show whilst he is away.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Well he did work for the BBC so he might if they asked him. I can always hope!
    Tommy Boyd was a presenter on LBC in a previous incarnation. Don't know if he was generally popular, but I didn't like him, far too 'silly' for my liking!
    I think most people hate him but tune in every time he is on! Because they can't get enough.
  • Options
    coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dfisher1 wrote: »
    Ian Collins is great. I just don't know why they don't use him more? I'd like to see him stand-in for Iain Dale on Drive rather than the insipid Ian Payne. I feel Collins certainly has enough political nous to carry on the format of Iain Dale's show whilst he is away.

Does he have another job? I always get the impression he is busy with other things in the week.
  • Options
    dfisher1dfisher1 Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Does he have another job? I always get the impression he is busy with other things in the week.

Quite so. I had thought perhaps it is a decision he has made not to do so much with LBC. Being able to do work here and there offers more flexibility and variety than being tied down to a regular slot day in and day out. It also means he has several sources of income rather than rely wholly on a single regular contract that could be terminated suddenly at the end of a year after which he'd be stuck for work (all your eggs in one basket sort of thing). This way if he looses one of his "gigs" he still has others to fall back on?
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dfisher1 wrote: »
    I don't find Ian Payne insipid. Far from it. I'd prefer to see Collins doing Drive instead of Dale, who's been disappointing in that slot, especially his creaky knowledge of foreign affairs. But I see Collins works P/T and covers for regulars on BBC Radio Kent. So it looks like he's trying to get his foot in the BBC's door, and is happy just to do his 2 day weekend stint at LBC.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    coulsdon59 wrote: »

I'm sure that I have heard him on Radio Kent or similar (Ian Collins, that is).
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member

Hmmmm, I thought he was a bit of a pedagogue and know-all.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This is the point I always try (and miserably fail to make) when the "LBC doesn't represent the ethnic diversity of the nation" discussion comes up. It would appear that engaging and competent speech radio presenters are thin on the ground. It is a niche skill. Then add in the further restriction of them really only being allowed to talk about current affairs so remove all the lightweights and you have a further limitation. Then it has to be someone prepared to work for what we all recognise to be a right leaning commercial station. A niche within a niche within a niche. Now find some black/Asian presenters within all of that... I suspect LBC would snatch the arm off anyone who even gets close to it.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just checking online that Tommy Boyd did the breakfast show with Anne Diamond (he did and the hatred between them was palpable) and came across this very old, funny piece from the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2003/oct/01/radio.commercialradio
  • Options
    sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    I'm sure that I have heard him on Radio Kent or similar (Ian Collins, that is).

found him on iplayer, downloaded 4 shows and now listening :) might make up for missing him on the weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sandstone wrote: »
    found him on iplayer, downloaded 4 shows and now listening :) might make up for missing him on the weekend.

He does a weekly podcast called Ian Collins Wants A Word. It's free and on iTunes. 109 episodes so far. That should keep fans going for a bit.
This discussion has been closed.