Options

Buying Sports without Mixes

loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,071
Forum Member
Is there anyway you can get Sky Sports 1,2,3,Xtra (not bothered about Sky Sports News) on its own without any mixes?

Comments

• Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in a nutshell no you have to have a least 1 mix unfortuantly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loyalsince wrote: »
    Is there anyway you can get Sky Sports 1,2,3,Xtra (not bothered about Sky Sports News) on its own without any mixes?

There is a newish thread on here which does mention that from September time Sky are offering a '0 mix' option where you can take out sport 1/2 or movies 1/2 or both without any mixes. Unfortunately it will only be a pound less than with one mix. Can't find the thread but it is around somewhere.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    satman17satman17 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can't find the thread, but thats brilliant news i don't waant to watch the total Shxt which is on the other channels.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satman17 wrote: »
    can't find the thread, but thats brilliant news i don't waant to watch the total Shxt which is on the other channels.

£1 saving or the extra channels,thats a tough decision to make,and hey you are not forced to watch EVERYTHING,surely you cannot think everything in 1 mix is shat :)

Now if it was £16.50 cheaper per month for no mixes that would be attractive
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £1 saving or the extra channels,thats a tough decision to make,and hey you are not forced to watch EVERYTHING,surely you cannot think everything in 1 mix is shat :)

It was mentioned on the other thread that this has been forced on sky by ofcom.

The way they have done it, with effectively a £15 "standing charge" (the 0 mix option) before you add any subscription channels, is effectively a two fingered salute to ofcom.
  • Options
    denis1501denis1501 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about a person with only the HD mix?? Can this person then add sports and movies???
    If the answer is yes then how much is HD mix + Sports for example?
  • Options
    gary77gary77 Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you get Sky Sports 1 or 2 do you still get Sky Sports 3 as a bonus channel?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    denis1501 wrote: »
    What about a person with only the HD mix?? Can this person then add sports and movies???
    If the answer is yes then how much is HD mix + Sports for example?

As I understand it, it would be £34.50 for the sports mix (with zero of the standard mixes), plus £10 so £44.50 in total for just the sports in HD. or £45.50 for all the sports in HD plus the variety mix - so it's a £1 saving over current prices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    gary77 wrote: »
    If you get Sky Sports 1 or 2 do you still get Sky Sports 3 as a bonus channel?

You can subscribe to either 1 or 2 seperately, if you subscribe to both, you get 3 and xtra as bonus channels
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    That's unfair ... it means standard pack people don't subsidise sports pack people. :rolleyes:
    ProDave wrote: »
    The way they have done it, with effectively a £15 "standing charge" (the 0 mix option) before you add any subscription channels, is effectively a two fingered salute to ofcom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I should have posted,if it was £16.50 for Sports with no mixes that would be attractive
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I should have posted,if it was £16.50 for Sports with no mixes that would be attractive

That would be suicide. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be suicide. ;)

No,That would be fair :)

It's never been mentioned that £15.00 is/was a standing charge and your first mix was just a £1 extra.

It as always been sold as £16.50 for 1 mix plus £1 per extra mix and then add on movies and or sport as required
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's never been mentioned that £15.00 is/was a standing charge and your first mix was just a £1 extra.

It as always been sold as £16.50 for 1 mix plus £1 per extra mix and then add on movies and or sport as required

It alwas WAS £16 for your first mix.

But Ofcom told them they must stop insisting on you having one mix and allow you to have no mixes and just buy sports for example.

So this is their response, a £15 "standing charge" and £1 per mix with no obligation to buy any mixes.

As I say, a great big two fingered salute to Ofcom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It alwas WAS £16 for your first mix.

But Ofcom told them they must stop insisting on you having one mix and allow you to have no mixes and just buy sports for example.

So this is their response, a £15 "standing charge" and £1 per mix with no obligation to buy any mixes.

As I say, a great big two fingered salute to Ofcom.

Its currently £16.50 for 1 mix :D

http://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/skytv/pricesandpackages

I get your drift though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    yes.. all that's well and good of Sky for finally offering the Sky Sports package on its own.. however, everyone seems to be missing the point that you are not actually going to be saving £1 at all.. read the small print that the operator on the phone either never tells you or they speak too fast or with an accent so strong you'd have more chance understanding a pi$$ed Stephen Hawking..

"Sky TV subscription and VAT changes: Packages currently £16.50-£46 a month. From 1/9/09 most prices will increase by up to £1.50 a month and from 1/1/10 by no more than a £1 a month due to VAT change. (HD Pack & Multiroom prices increase by 25p a month.)

Prices shown apply to customers paying by Direct Debit. An additional 50p per month is payable by customers paying by continuous credit card.".

so there you go.. Sky are ripping people off well and truly and there's no chance of me giving them £35 a month for Sky Sports and a mix pack..

..the only way you'll get Sky to lower their prices is if 4 or 5 million subscribers say "..we've had enough, it's costing too much.." and cancel their contracts.. only then will Sky ever get the picture. But people in this country are too lazy to complain and just carry on putting up with it..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I have complained to sky.I think it is wrong for them to advertise ''you only pay for what you want to watch'' ads on tv when I dont want the Variety, Knowledge, Style & Culture, News & Events, Children's, Music channels.Just Skysports but you are forced to pay for one of the above to get it.:mad:

Its about time that they looked into sorting out a sports package only for the 1,000's of people out there that want just skysports.

Most of us have enough freeview channels nowdays with it all built into the new tv's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ins0mnia wrote: »
    I have complained to sky.I think it is wrong for them to advertise ''you only pay for what you want to watch'' ads on tv when I dont want the Variety, Knowledge, Style & Culture, News & Events, Children's, Music channels.Just Skysports but you are forced to pay for one of the above to get it.:mad:

Its about time that they looked into sorting out a sports package only for the 1,000's of people out there that want just skysports.

Most of us have enough freeview channels nowdays with it all built into the new tv's.

...And in future you will be able to get Sports without a mix and you will save a grand total of...................

£1 GBP............great eh ?
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO the standard 6 mixes as they are should be free as they are with numerous advert breaks and only subscription based with an ad break free option, with sky sports and movies being subscription based, and the multi-room fee should be dropped - after all I don't need a TV licence for every TV at home I want to watch on so why should I have to pay sky twice just to be able to watch something upstairs that I've already paid for downstairs? The fee should be per address not per box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    denis1501 wrote: »
    What about a person with only the HD mix?
    ins0mnia wrote: »
    I dont want the Variety, Knowledge, Style & Culture, News & Events, Children's, Music channels.Just Skysports but you are forced to pay for one of the above to get it.
    Who are these persons with only the HD Mix?:confused:
    I was one of them until two weeks ago when Sky decided they don't do the HD Mix alone!

I don't want that lot either, nor do I want Skysports, but I DO want the main HD channels - but Sky won't take my money for them now.
    What sort of way is that to run a business?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hhatkin wrote: »
    I was one of them until two weeks ago when Sky decided they don't do the HD Mix alone!

I don't want that lot either, nor do I want Skysports, but I DO want the main HD channels - but Sky won't take my money for them now.

You just want lots of HD channels ( around 15 ? ) for the £10, that is a big ask ;)
  • Options
    bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hhatkin wrote: »

Afraid its been that way since the launch of HD. You can't get the HD mix without at least 1 basic mix, but chordiant did allow this to be done in error so that's why you've had it until recently. Obviously someone has noticed and cancelled it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    It was mentioned on the other thread that this has been forced on sky by ofcom.

I wonder how they will justify it to OFCOM when Freesat/Freeview are able to offer a similar "basic" package for £0 per month?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    Pessable wrote: »
    I wonder how they will justify it to OFCOM when Freesat/Freeview are able to offer a similar "basic" package for £0 per month?

Why would they have to?, the exact same programmes (in fact a few more) are available from Sky without paying a penny.

It's not really different to the standing charge for your phone line.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would they have to?, the exact same programmes (in fact a few more) are available from Sky without paying a penny.

It's not really different to the standing charge for your phone line.

erm not all freeview channels are avalable for free on sky and soon if greedy sky have their way neither will the itv channels be free on sky