Options

How to implement a child lock on a TV?

DallyDally Posts: 468
Forum Member
Hi
A friend wants to find a way of disabling her TV altogether. Her husband watches sport on tv, but she wants to stop her children (who get up early) watching TV. Is there something like a PIN number you add for TV use? She wants something safe that will not encourage them to mess with electricity etc. Any ideas will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    When I was a child we had to ask permission to watch television.

Some televisions have PIN locks.
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .......then you forget the pin number...... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MindeeMindee Posts: 22,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, as stated above, if they are told when they can or cannot use the TV that should be sufficient.

Other than that it's a simple job to remove the (5 amp) fuse fitted to the TV 13 Amp plug and keep it out of reach.
  • Options
    andyhurleyandyhurley Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mindee wrote: »
    Indeed, as stated above, if they are told when they can or cannot use the TV that should be sufficient.

Other than that it's a simple job to remove the (5 amp) fuse fitted to the TV 13 Amp plug and keep it out of reach.

I agree that should be sufficient but I understand that for some it may not be enough. Removing the fuse would encourage playing around with the plug - maybe even shorting the fuse holder which would not be desirable and was explicitly ruled out by the OP.

An easy way would be to arrange for the aeriel feed to go via the parent's bedroom (or some other secure location such as a lockable junction box) and fit a join in there so the aerial can be disconnected. Won't work for areas with set top aerials though.
  • Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats the point, the kid will problary figure it out anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    dpwykesdpwykes Posts: 372
    Forum Member
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if it still exists today, but there's this thing we used to use back in the day.

It's called discipline, and best of all it's free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    Disconnect the aerial from the TV (and hide the flylead) - stops them watching analogue - and set a lock on the STB (stops them watching digital).
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Move the aerial from the STB to the TV. Now you can watch analogue again.

Do a hardware reset on the STB. Now you can watch digital again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for ideas. Yes - discipline is the obvious answer but not always realistic. The children are often up before parents and if you take on a 13yr old step son, discipline is not established overnight.

I am surprised there is nothing easy and safe to use on the market as I'd have thought this would be an issue for many households. Putting in a 4 digit PIN (that's changeble through a given a specified email address for example) before channels are shown would be idea.

I know early morning cartoons are supposedly within child certificates - but if you look at them they are really very violent.

(My friend would rather have no TV to solve the issue, but the husband enjoys some sport.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your friend is asking for trouble if they are trying to restrict viewing of television by a 13 year old. It's bound to result in anger, frustration and a breakdown in the parent-child relationship, even worse if it's a step child the potential outcome isn't worth thinking about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Why would your friend want to restrict a 13 year old from watching cartoons on a morning?. Seems overly restrictive to me and something I've only ever heard of in an overly religious friend of mine many years ago. Your friend may as well ban the reading of comics, books like Harry Potter etc. as they are more violent than the morning cartoons. I would think daytime TV like Jeremy Kyle does more harm than cartoons.

My overly religious friend has a very bad relationship with her daughter now, in fact they hardly speak at all and her daughter rebelled quite badly. I agree with DVB, these kinds of restrictions will have a very bad impact on the family relationship long term. Better to talk to her kids about what she thinks is acceptable and how they should behave and live their lives than implement fairly draconian restrictions. A 13 year old will always find ways around such restrictions anyway, even down to staying over at friends homes to watch what they want etc.
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see a child lock on this forum never mind set top boxes :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The cartoon comment was actually with a younger child in mind (who used to not watch tv without permission but now follows the 13yr old). Anyway, as anyone with any sense knows, family situations and backgrounds vary hugely. Why would anyone offer advice on bringing up children without knoweldge of their background?

I was asking for advice on TV locks not random advice on child rearing / religious zealousy, the virtues of Jeremy Kyle etc etc!!

I was surprised there appears to be nothing on the market and was asking if there was something I was not aware of.

Thank you for the comments about disabling the arial. Not sure this is the route to go as don't want children messing with electrical bits that they don't understand.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Dally wrote: »
    I was asking for advice on TV locks not random advice on child rearing / religious zealousy, the virtues of Jeremy Kyle etc etc!!
    And so this thread follows its predictable course ... ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my children were younger they were banned from playing violent computer games and watching cartoons (except for "The Simpsons", which puts over some interesting moral values). This ban definitely reduced some violent tendencies in them. Also, they mostly obeyed our instructions and we never resorted to hitting them. You can call this "luck" or good parenting. It was certainly hard work in the early days!

The aerial cable switch is the most practical suggestion. There's no electricity involved and it will certainly prevent reception (and probably cause some arguments.) Frankly, the real answer is to get the children under control. No excuses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    And so this thread follows its predictable course ... ;)

I still stand by my points, The 13 year old should have his own Televsion to watch whatever he chooses in his own room. He's old enough to be trusted. As for the younger offspring that's up to the parents, but any severe restricition on their ability to watch suitable programmes bothers me too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    When my children were younger they were banned from playing violent computer games and watching cartoons (except for "The Simpsons", which puts over some interesting moral values).
    So they didn't watch 'Itchy and Scratchy' then ???????

Let them stay up late with you - therefore watching under your control - and then they won't wake up early anyway!
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most TVs/Set top boxes have a child lock/parental control on them where all you have to do is enter a pin number to watch TV.

Ask your friend to check on her TV Menu & see if there is a setting for this.

Btw The Pin is usually 0000 but i think you can change it.