Quick vote. What should I see?
Can't decide!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy if you want a cross between The Matrix and Bruce Almighty.
    The Equalizer if you want to see 1,001 ways of killing people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got bored halfway through Lucy. Great start but lacked any real punch towards the end. haven't seen equalizer yet so cant comment.
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Equaliser is no great shakes to be honest. Too drawn out (as most films are nowadays), and suffers with that Taken affect. Lots of Euro baddies being offed in varying manner, by a seasoned ex "agency" man. Nothing to get too excited about.

At least Lucy has Scarlett to admire, if you're that way inclined..
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    The Equalizer is a censored version, which would affect my decision.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Equalizer got a one star review in the Evening Standard last week.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy, there's more substance to it.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are both pretty rubbish and ridiculous but The Equaliser has no random cuts to stock footage of animals, so I'd go with that one.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Denzel doing what he does best - kick ass. He's done these kinds of films before and you know what you're getting. You know it's not breaking any new ground but that doesn't make the film any less enjoyable. Very, very enjoyable and a very watchable film. I liked it.

Chloe Moretz is barely in it and if you took her out it would not make a slight bit of difference. She also looked far too young for the part anyway. I also liked the turn from the main Russian baddie Teddy who came down to take down Denzel, he had an edge to him which i truly liked. Loved the scene in the restaurant between them. Denzel is fantastic in this and so is Marton Csokas.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does The Equaliser have the theme tune from the TV Series?

From what I've seen it is not really like the series which seemed more subtle in the way Edward Woodward 'equalised' things.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does The Equaliser have the theme tune from the TV Series?

From what I've seen it is not really like the series which seemed more subtle in the way Edward Woodward 'equalised' things.

No. It's very loosely based on the tv show. Even the ad in the newspaper bit. Trust me, very loosely.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    No. It's very loosely based on the tv show. Even the ad in the newspaper bit. Trust me, very loosely.

Oh cheers for the info.

They can't have a film based on the TV show without the theme tune, that's sacrilege. :)
  • Options
    Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Having seen both films in the last 2 days, I'd say that Lucy is probably slightly more enjoyable, probably due to its far shorter length.

The Equalizer has little or no resemblence to the original series apart from the name of the lead character. Denzel does so much killing in this film, I'm not sure who was the bigger psychopath, him or Teddy. It all got tiresome pretty quickly, mainly because of the quick editing, 15 cert camera angles, and that half of the worst stuff is in the dark so you can't see it. That said, it's a very strong 15. I know the distributor made cuts after advice from the BBFC that the film would get an 18.

Lucy, while not at all original, was more fun, if rather silly. Scarlett Johannson's fast becoming the go to female action actress. The whole thing was half Matrix and half Trancendence. There's a very good Korean subbed copy at you know where if anyone wants to see it for free. The subs cover up some of the English translations for the Korean dialogue, but it barely matters.
  • Options
    Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Oh cheers for the info.

They can't have a film based on the TV show without the theme tune, that's sacrilege. :)

I wouldn't imagine anyone involved with the film has even seen the original show, besides using the original series theme would've involved paying royalties to Stuart Copeland. Not that he needs the cash.