Breaking Bad to remain without UK Broadcaster

CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Almost two weeks ago, TVWise reported that Channel 5 did not own, nor did they have any intention of acquring the broadcast rights to the third, fourth and fifth seasons of Breaking Bad from Sony Pictures Television. At the time we also reported that we had heard rumblings that a new UK broadcaster may move in and pick up the rights to the series.

However, after making contact with various contacts and sources at Sony as well as at a number of UK TV channels, it would appear those rumblings were merely that. I have been told that there are no plans to pick up the series among any of the bigger channels such as BBC, ITV, Channel 4, FX or Sky.

The truth of the matter is that the series has been given two chances to find its audience here in the UK, first on FX and then later on 5USA, and on both occasions it failed to do so. I’m told that this is a source of frustration for Sony as, in the United States, the series continues to attract awards and grow its audience year-on-year. So for a series which seems to have no proven audience in the UK, and awards sure to be driving up the licensing fee for the series, I’ve been told there is almost no chance of Breaking Bad finding a new broadcaster.

Breaking Bad was created by Vince Gilligan and follows Bryan Cranston as Walter White, a terminal cancer patient who, concerned that his family will be without means following his death, turns to cooking methamphetamine to make large amounts of fast money. The series is broadcast by AMC in the United States who recently ordered a fifth and final season consisting of 16 episodes. Production is currently underway on the first batch of 8 episodes, which are expected to be broadcast as a mini-season in the summer.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2012/03/breaking-bad-to-remain-without-a-uk-broadcaster/

It's a shame really. Ah well, there's always the internet :)

Comments

• MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Longstanding thread already here discussing this:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1237349&page=12
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    agreed, I am no netcop but starting a new thread when the old one is never off the front page seems like attention seeking.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Looks like BB fans will either have to order the Region 1 DVDs or try something
    like Netflix then. A shame.

Maybe Irish fans could try contacting RTE, TG4 or 3E and ask if they'd be interested
    in showing BB?
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    At least we have Netflix now so we don't need to pirate it.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Netflix will hopefully add 3-5. I know a lot of people have been asking them for it on Twitter.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So for a series which seems to have no proven audience in the UK, and awards sure to be driving up the licensing fee for the series, I’ve been told there is almost no chance of Breaking Bad finding a new broadcaster.

But .. but .. but .. don't they know it's SKY who drive up the licensing fees for shows so they can "steal" them from other broadcasters ? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Fed up of hearing people bitch about Breaking Bad. It hasn't got a UK broadcaster and is unlikely to get one, deal with it and stop informing me for I have never seen the show, but can already tell you why it has failed...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somebody mentioned Netflix showing Season 3 and 4. They have seasons 1&2 available. I suppose there is no law that says a show must appear on TV before it can appear online(legally). Netflix obviously deals with Sony. So it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that it may appear on there one day. Depends on the asking price and how well the Netflix enterprise works out.

Has a show ever been shown online over here before it was aired on TV? I know a season of The West Wing got a DVD release before Ch4 showed it. Season 6, I think?
    Forum Member
    Fed up of hearing people bitch about Breaking Bad. It hasn't got a UK broadcaster and is unlikely to get one, deal with it and stop informing me for I have never seen the show, but can already tell you why it has failed...

Then don't read any of the threads about "Breaking Bad" then.
    Simples! (meerkat). ;)
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I have never seen the show, but can already tell you why it has failed...

If you've never seen the show, how can you know why it's failed, why don't you give the show a try at least? It's a brilliant series that just keeps getting better and better and is easily the best thing to come out of America in years, such a shame Channel 5 bought out the rights to pimp their dead zone digital channels. It actually done quite well on FX, I imagine that's where a lot of us started!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Well I just found the twitter of the guy who wrote that post for TVWise and found he had tweeted the following, earlier today
    UK #BreakingBad fans: there may be news about season 3. Stand by....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rickywal wrote: »
    Well I just found the twitter of the guy who wrote that post for TVWise and found he had tweeted the following, earlier today

Here we go again:rolleyes::D:D:D
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody mentioned Netflix showing Season 3 and 4. They have seasons 1&2 available. I suppose there is no law that says a show must appear on TV before it can appear online(legally). Netflix obviously deals with Sony. So it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that it may appear on there one day. Depends on the asking price and how well the Netflix enterprise works out.

Has a show ever been shown online over here before it was aired on TV?

Castle Season 4? It appears to be available here on iTunes at US pace even though only one episode has aired on UK TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    If you've never seen the show, how can you know why it's failed, why don't you give the show a try at least? It's a brilliant series that just keeps getting better and better and is easily the best thing to come out of America in years, such a shame Channel 5 bought out the rights to pimp their dead zone digital channels. It actually done quite well on FX, I imagine that's where a lot of us started!

Show about drugs - wipes out consverative audience
    Show about drugs, only suited to 10PM timeslot - Wipes out more of audience
    Lack of promotion - Wipes out the entirety of the audience, except dedicated fans and people who read the tv guide like a religion....

I has a quick look once, ran out of time before 5 mins was up. Walt (I think that his name) hadn't even left the vehicle, i will have a look this evening...

It's not the threads that annoy me... It's people that are still bitching about it and struggling to work out why it failed when the answer is obvious...
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lack of promotion - Wipes out the entirety of the audience, except dedicated fans and people who read the tv guide like a religion...
    Not to mention (because most people in RL avoid it) the central character has terminal cancer. I suspect that people with cancer or who have / had someone close with terminal cancer - which is a hell of a lot of people - don't switch on to enjoy the ride.

The Big C is a far more appealing prospect for me but the central plot "device" is why I've never watched more than the trailers, unfair to the show though that might be.
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member

Perhaps you should stop going on to threads about it if it upsets you so much.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    The BBC 2 post newsnight (Band of Bros) slot, could be a good "home" for Br Ba. (+BBCHD simcast?).

Likewise, it would fit quite comfortably on BBC3/4 (ticks boxes for both channels) but the cost would probably rule this out.

TBH I can't see why it's not suitable for a 9pm slot, where it's far more likely to acheive the audience it deserves.

What time is it shown in the US?

My one glimmer of hope is that Sky Atlantic may pick this up from the start and then make Atlantic it's natural UK home.

I may even "write-up"!
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    What time is it shown in the US?

10 pm
    Forum Member
    "Breaking Bad" airs on AMC, a cable channel aimed at
    educated middle-class folk. I hardly think they're going
    to be scared off a show that depicts the nastiness
    of the drug trade.
    Lack of promotion - Wipes out the entirety of the audience, except dedicated fans and people who read the tv guide like a religion....

BB gets good promotion in the US AFAIK. It's just when
    it was airing in the UK and Ireland it never got any of the
    promotion that other AMC shows like "Mad Men", "The Walking Dead" or "The Killing" remake got (no gushing articles in
    Sunday supplements for Walt & co.).
    I has a quick look once, ran out of time before 5 mins was up. Walt (I think that his name) hadn't even left the vehicle, i will have a look this evening...

It's not the threads that annoy me... It's people that are still bitching about it and struggling to work out why it failed when the answer is obvious...

You can't seriously expect to form a serious opinion on a show
    based on 5 minutes, though. The BB pilot is an excellent piece
    of TV drama. :cool:
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Breaking Bad" airs on AMC, a cable channel aimed at
    educated middle-class folk. I hardly think they're going
    to be scared off a show that depicts the nastiness
    of the drug trade.
    But isn't this discussion about why no UK channel is picking up future seasons of the show? What channel it airs on in the US and that channel's demographic can't be relevant as to why it's not being watched over here.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many US TV series that have been repeatedly nominated for Outstanding Drama Series in the Emmys have not been shown on British TV?

In the multi-channel era I can only find a series called Joan of Arcadia, which had one nomination for Outstanding Drama Series, which I believe not to have been shown on a UK channel.

BB has won 6 Emmy awards, including 3 for Bryan Cranston as best actor. While it is not to everyone's taste, it is highly appreciated by its fans and my guess is that there are probably about a million people in Britain who have never seen it, but who would have loved it if they had.
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    But isn't this discussion about why no UK channel is picking up future seasons of the show? What channel it airs on in the US and that channel's demographic can't be relevant as to why it's not being watched over here.

Given that other US shows with controversial subject
    matter (The Sopranos-Organised Crime, Dexter-
    Serial Killer) have aired on UK & Irish TV, I hardly think
    BB's dealing with drugs and cancer would scare off prospective
    viewers in these islands.
    Killary45 wrote: »
    How many US TV series that have been repeatedly nominated for Outstanding Drama Series in the Emmys have not been shown on British TV?

In the multi-channel era I can only find a series called Joan of Arcadia, which had one nomination for Outstanding Drama Series, which I believe not to have been shown on a UK channel.

BB has won 6 Emmy awards, including 3 for Bryan Cranston as best actor. While it is not to everyone's taste, it is highly appreciated by its fans and my guess is that there are probably about a million people in Britain who have never seen it, but who would have loved it if they had.

Fintan O'Toole from "The Irish Times" is always praising
    "Breaking Bad", even though the show has never aired
    on an Irish channel. If more journos started promoting
    the show, I'm sure a UK/Irish network would eventually
    pick up the show.
    Forum Member
    Here we go again:rolleyes::D:D:D

Well so much for your scepticism. Here is the news he hinted at:

BREAKING BAD SEASON 3 IS GETTING A DVD RELEASE IN MAY

Full details here: http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2012/03/exclusive-breaking-bad-season-3-to-receive-its-uk-premiere-on-dvd/
    Forum Member
    EXCITED!!!!!!!!!

TVWise has just run an exclusive piece saying sources at Sony have told them season 3 is coming to DVD (at last) in the UK on May 14th!!!!!

heres the link: http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2012/03/exclusive-breaking-bad-season-3-to-receive-its-uk-premiere-on-dvd/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rickywal wrote: »
    Well so much for your scepticism. Here is the news he hinted at:

BREAKING BAD SEASON 3 IS GETTING A DVD RELEASE IN MAY

Full details here: http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2012/03/exclusive-breaking-bad-season-3-to-receive-its-uk-premiere-on-dvd/

Good news indeed. Wonder about the price.