Options

Where on earth do I buy my Blu Rays now?

2»

Comments

• Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    People should bear in mind that much of the stuff on Amazon isn't sold by Amazon. It's sold by 3rd party sellers. The site is much like eBay now, but much cheaper, and doesn't force Scampal on its users.

Scampal?
  • Options
    BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Scampal?

I think it's a dig at PayPal.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Bluray wrote: »
    I think it's a dig at PayPal.

It did occur to that it might be, but what's wrong with PayPal?
    I use it on a few sites, its just a shame more sites don't have it as a payment option.
  • Options
    BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    It did occur to that it might be, but what's wrong with PayPal?
    I use it on a few sites, its just a shame more sites don't have it as a payment option.

I agree.
    I've never had a problem with PayPal, and you're right - more sites should offer it as an option.
  • Options
    Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, Scampal is fine until you start using it as a seller, and selling stuff to buyers who then claim non receipt despite you having proof of delivery. Scampal will then, despite you having provided it with proof of delivery, steal the money back from you, often leaving the seller with a negative balance, and leaving you with no means of recourse other than to go legal on the scam outfit.

Scampal is a fraudsters paradise. Always has been, always will be.
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, Scampal is fine until you start using it as a seller, and selling stuff to buyers who then claim non receipt despite you having proof of delivery. Scampal will then, despite you having provided it with proof of delivery, steal the money back from you, often leaving the seller with a negative balance, and leaving you with no means of recourse other than to go legal on the scam outfit.

Scampal is a fraudsters paradise. Always has been, always will be.

I couldn't agree more. The one and only time I've used EBay was to sell something.
    That was in October 05. I heard no more about it and the money went in my bank. By August 06 I'd moved house, and city, and my parents got a letter from a collection agency addressed to me. It turns out it was on behalf of Paypal.
    The person I had sold to claimed they never received the item and PayPal automatically refunded them without making any attempt to contact me.
    They had also dumped £50 worth of charges on to the original amount.

I contacted Paypal who wanted proof of posting I explained that as this was 10 months after posting, and I had just moved that month, that I no longer had it. I asked them why they hadn't contacted me sooner, either by phone or email, rather than leave it months and go to a debt collection agency, they couldn't answer.
    I still get on average two letters a year from Debt Agencies looking for this money, and every time I call Paypal and explain and tell them I'm not paying. Then 6 months later another letter arrives and so it goes.

So yes, they are bloody scam artists and I've probably got a black mark on my Credit history because of them.
    Obviously I've never used eBay or PayPal again.
  • Options
    AndyLouPandyAndyLouPandy Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    My local Blockbuster shut down last summer. Big unit as well. I would've frequented it more often had it not always been baking hot with the associated stench of BO from the one member of staff behind the desk, and so damn expensive. Even during the closing down sale, the pre-owned PS3 games were more expensive than they were new on Amazon.

Bye Bye, Blockbuster. You've been Blockbusted.

Sorry about your future employment predicament, Andy.

Thanks Theo :) In all honesty the rest of us are just waiting for the phone call, DeLoitte aren't interested in the slightest about saving the company, only interested in making money for the creditors .Unless someone comes in and purchases the core of the business for more than they can make by selling off the stock they won't sell it to anyone.We're just preparing ourselves for what's coming :(
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Vashetti wrote: »
    Online.

I don't feel a moral obligation to spend more of my money in a high-street store in the vain hope that it survives. That's not my responsibility.

I go wherever's cheapest. Online I click a few buttons and in a few days it's at my door. Don't have to walk through crowds and spend £20+ on a single Blu-Ray.

Watch it, someone will come on here crying "its all me me me" ;)
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't buy them.
    Instead simply subscribe to sky movies and Netflix and enjoy yourself

Netflix !! - yeah that is up there with Blu ray picture quality.............not. Even Sky Movies HD is not up to blu ray standard - and why else would you want to buy on Bluray ?
  • Options
    monrosemonrose Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    Blockbuster has gone. HMV no longer stock the latest releases (or didn't in Sheffield) and many other stores having ludicrous prices, where does one go to purchase the latest releases :(

I find it really sad that I can no longer trot to Blockbuster on a Monday to get my new releases and there really isn't anywhere else that sells them locally.

Just thought I'd take a moment to lament the passing of the high street (again).

/sniff

Maybe you could buy them off Play.com, Amazon or the Zavvi website (that's if you do internet shopping)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finding Amazon aren't often the cheapest option on new releases all that much lately. I use find-DVD to compare prices before I buy anything and generally it's The Hut/Zavvi that comes up cheapest. I've also noticed Blockbuster actually popping up at the top of the list a lot too!
    More often than not though I will wait for the prices to drop a bit before I buy things anyway, it just depends how desperate I am to own it 'right now!'

I've also noticed Sainsburys had a good run if doing Bonus Disc new releases cheap for about a week before putting them up to ridiculous prices. (Avengers, Spider-Man, Hunger Games). They do Steelbooks to if that's your thing, although I've only ever seen them online.