Options

Any chance of a Jo Grant return?

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now that DW is largely filmed in Wales, and Jo Grant settled down in Wales in 1973, any chance of the character returning? Katy Manning is still very proud of her role, attends conventions and plays a Time Lady in audio versions of the show, so why not.

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Now that DW is largely filmed in Wales, and Jo Grant settled down in Wales in 1973, any chance of the character returning? Katy Manning is still very proud of her role, attends conventions and plays a Time Lady in audio versions of the show, so why not.

Hardly. She spent the next 40 odd years travelling around the world.

You don't mention her return in Death of the Doctor? Have you not seen it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I'd welcome a Jo Grant return. She was a fun character and Katy Manning is a lovely person
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

That was enough for me, personally.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her appearance in the sja was a very satisfactory revisit to the character. For me time to look forward to brand new stories and new characters rather than look back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Not seen that one , but I know she was in the Sarah Jane Adventures. She did undertake an Amazonian adventure after marrying Professor Jones and I imagine UNIT might have wanted a few more years out of her. I think she could make some kind of cameo as an environmentalist.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind seeing her crop up a series or two down the line. The RTD era had Sarah Jane as a link to the past, and I've somewhat missed that link in the Moffat era - Kate Stewart is a bit of an indirect tie, and I like her :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad thing is when you watch the seventies series and see Jon Pertwee, Roger Delgado, Nicholas Courtney, Liz Sladen, Mary Tamm, and the actress who played Liz Shaw and you realise they're all dead. Katy is one of the few survivors from the classic Pertwee/ Baker era and well loved by the fans.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I think it would be nice to have another classic companion brought back. My personal choice would be Peri - like Sarah Jane, I felt her story didn't have any proper closure. I could imagine her return being very differed to School Reunion: a warrior queen angrily reunited with the man who abandoned her all those years earlier. Could be fun.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo Grant? No thanks. Hardly one of the all time great companions (imo).

If they have to bring back a Classic Who companion (and I see no real reason why they should - those companions had their day last century) I would rather it was someone like Ian, Jamie, Zoe, Romana II, Turlough or Peri.
  • Options
    gareth1408gareth1408 Posts: 408
    Forum Member

If they have to bring back a Classic Who companion (and I see no real reason why they should - those companions had their day last century) I would rather it was someone like Ian, Jamie, Zoe, Romana II, Turlough or Peri.

An Ian return would be quite feasible this series, seeing as Clara works at Coal Hill school, and we must be going to revisit that at some point as it has been widely reported about that guy being cast as a fellow teacher from there, and being in some episodes

If I remember rightly, wasn't his name on the board at the front of the school in DOTD?
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Sad thing is when you watch the seventies series and see Jon Pertwee, Roger Delgado, Nicholas Courtney, Liz Sladen, Mary Tamm, and the actress who played Liz Shaw and you realise they're all dead. Katy is one of the few survivors from the classic Pertwee/ Baker era and well loved by the fans.
    Caroline John.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    gareth1408 wrote: »
    An Ian return would be quite feasible this series, seeing as Clara works at Coal Hill school, and we must be going to revisit that at some point as it has been widely reported about that guy being cast as a fellow teacher from there, and being in some episodes

If I remember rightly, wasn't his name on the board at the front of the school in DOTD?

Sarah Jane said that Ian and Barbara hadn't aged since the 1960's in an episode of SJA. I expect they could gloss over that if they wanted to but I quite like the idea of Ian and Barbara being forever young :)
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Yeah, anyway, Ian was chair of governors, not the headmaster. So he wouldn't be on the school premises a lot of the time. In addition, Barbara cannot return as her actress has died. So if Ian were to show up, how would you explain his (presumably) wife not being with him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Sarah Jane said that Ian and Barbara hadn't aged since the 1960's in an episode of SJA. I expect they could gloss over that if they wanted to but I quite like the idea of Ian and Barbara being forever young :)

I like that idea too - but I seem to remember Sarah-Jane actually said 'rumour has it....' rather than confirming it as fact. :)

I half expected an appearance from Ian when we saw his name on the board in DOTD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Yeah, anyway, Ian was chair of governors, not the headmaster. So he wouldn't be on the school premises a lot of the time. In addition, Barbara cannot return as her actress has died. So if Ian were to show up, how would you explain his (presumably) wife not being with him?

That she had died?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I don't know, she was never as vulnerable as she looked and karated her way out of a difficult situation in The Sea Devils and she was more intelligent than she let on. Maybe as well she was popular becausre of her mini skirts.:p
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I don't know, she was never as vulnerable as she looked and karated her way out of a difficult situation in The Sea Devils and she was more intelligent than she let on. Maybe as well she was popular becausre of her mini skirts.:p

I'm not a fan of Jo Grant mainly because I'm not a fan of the Pertwee era (not keen on the Earth exile scenario, not really a fan of UNIT, and as brilliant as Roger Delgado was in the role the Master appeared far too frequently). If they have to bring back Classic Who companions then I personally would rather have ones who remind me of my preferred eras (i.e. the William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Tom Baker and Peter Davison eras).
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Nope, I wouldn't bank on it. What we got with Jo in Death Of The Doctor is probably the last time we'll see her onscreen. Still, there's always Big Finish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of Jo Grant mainly because I'm not a fan of the Pertwee era (not keen on the Earth exile scenario, not really a fan of UNIT, and as brilliant as Roger Delgado was in the role the Master appeared far too frequently). If they have to bring back Classic Who companions then I personally would rather have ones who remind me of my preferred eras (i.e. the William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Tom Baker and Peter Davison eras).

Pertwee divides fans, some people don't like this modern day Britain theme to his stories and the BBC trying to make it like The Avengers on a BBC budget, but for all I like Troughton, the series was sagging in the ratings by the end of the sixties and was on the verge of cancellation. Pertwee tried to make it more modern and he doubled the ratings in two years.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pertwee divides fans, some people don't like this modern day Britain theme to his stories and the BBC trying to make it like The Avengers on a BBC budget, but for all I like Troughton, the series was sagging in the ratings by the end of the sixties and was on the verge of cancellation. Pertwee tried to make it more modern and he doubled the ratings in two years.

Quite. For me, the Pertwee era is the high water mark of the show. I loved the Bondian-Avenger vibe. Of course, the fact I was 8 when he took over helped. But even now, I don't think his first season has ever been bettered. Everyone forgets they had to try something different to keep the show alive. And whether some fans like it or not, the strategy worked.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to think of Doctor Who as a giant tapestry - there is the big whole picture that everyone loves. Then when you look closer there are smaller sections that people are more divided about but you need all the different bits leading from from the other to get the whole. You can't have Sarah Jane without Jo Grant before her and Tom Baker's alien madness needs to be bookended Peter Davidson's more calm portrayal and John Pertwee's early 70's action hero. The Hinchcliff era needs the lighter tone Douglas Adams or the show becomes too dark.

You may not like every era but the whole doesn't exist without all the different parts.

Umm back to the original question - Jo might be nice to see but she wouldn't be that high on my list. I'd rather have Romana, Ian, Nyssa, Ace ( who's story is unfinished), Turlough, Tegan or Susan.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God! I hope not.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »

She's not a member of the board of governors?
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It the case of Pertwee's first season in particular, I'd draw a parallel with Quatermass too. Compare, for example, Quatermass II with Spearhead from Space.