Cleaning the screen of a Tablet

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This question has probably been asked before but I just want to make sure - I want to clean the screen of my tablet, its a bit grubby with fingertip marks (SURPRISE!!!! SURPRISE!!!!) but how do I actually clean it, is it just the case of using a cloth? or can I use the special cleaner I have for my LCD tv screen ( its a soft jelly like substance? - that you spray) its just that I am unsure due to the fact that its touch sensitive and can any "liquid" cleaner cause it to be unsensitive. thanks a lot for replying bbuk

Comments

• tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    baldbilluk wrote: »
    This question has probably been asked before but I just want to make sure - I want to clean the screen of my tablet, its a bit grubby with fingertip marks (SURPRISE!!!! SURPRISE!!!!) but how do I actually clean it, is it just the case of using a cloth? or can I use the special cleaner I have for my LCD tv screen ( its a soft jelly like substance? - that you spray) its just that I am unsure due to the fact that its touch sensitive and can any "liquid" cleaner cause it to be unsensitive. thanks a lot for replying bbuk

It's basically glass, you should be able to use anything.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Is this really a serious question??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Is this really a serious question??

Yes, its just the touch sensitive was making me think that I had to be careful with what I used? So it was/is a serious question
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not just use a screen protector on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't that effect the sensitivity of the pad thus making it more difficult to use, what I am trying to avoid when using a cleaner.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a cloth that came with my LCD TV. I think it's anti-static?
    But basically anything as long as it's not abrasive. If you'd use it to clean your specs then it'll clean your screen.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I use disposable lens wipes, remember the screen needs a good clean as bacteria can buid up on it.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The screen protector i used on my iPhone made the retina screen all rainbow/polarised. So i ripped it off. it made the screen look crap.

Also, dont you then have to just clean the protector instead?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    May I suggest 'Touchscreenkleen' which is available on-line and at Argos. The kit contains a micro fibre cloth and a spray. I heard about it on Frequency Cast and thought I'd give it a try. Very impressed with the results on our Samsung tablets.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I used my sleeve. The one I don't use for my nose.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    microfibre cloth, 99p from 99p shop

And there is a difference between your LCD TV and your tablet. The tablet screen is designed to be touched, the LCD TV is not.

In the olden days touch screens used to work by you press down on the display and the display deforming and making contact with an electric grid underneath which meant the screen had to be soft. These days, touch is recognised by a conductor (such as your finger) touching an electrically charged piece of glass. This is why if you put on normal gloves the screen does not work and also why the screen on your tablet is hard.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very slightly damp (with water) microfibre cloth. Nothing else is needed.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good old fashioned idea. Works on mine with perfection every time.

Get one of those cloths from opticians used for cleaning your glasses and do exactly what you do with glasses. Breath and wipe. As I say, works with perfection!

Do not be tempted to use standard type tissues. They scratch.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Good old fashioned idea. Works on mine with perfection every time.

Get one of those cloths from opticians used for cleaning your glasses and do exactly what you do with glasses. Breath and wipe. As I say, works with perfection!

Do not be tempted to use standard type tissues. They scratch.

I do like simple but effective solutions, I will try that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    A microfibre cloth is all you need,3 for a pound at poundland.I get a box of maltesers while I'm in there.
  • joan13joan13 Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Mr Sheen Express Mist it is smear free and a microfibre cloth I use it on all my glass surfaces :D
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    microfibre cloth, slightly damp if dry one doesn't shift the marks
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    joan13 wrote: »
    I use Mr Sheen Express Mist it is smear free and a microfibre cloth I use it on all my glass surfaces :D
    Don't use glass sprays as although they initially look great, nearly all leave a deposit which, to my mind, create more problems than they solve. Most tablets, including my Samsung have Gorilla glass and so nothing more than a microfibre cloth perhaps with a trace of water, is necessary.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I use a cloth that came with my LCD TV. I think it's anti-static?
    But basically anything as long as it's not abrasive. If you'd use it to clean your specs then it'll clean your screen.

I clean my specs with washing up liquid and rinse them under the tap - I don't think that's a good idea for the ipad:D.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I use my tshirt, or jumper. depending on the weather.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I use my tshirt, or jumper. depending on the weather.

Not a good idea frankly. Could have tiny particles of grit on. :eek:
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Not a good idea frankly. Could have tiny particles of grit on. :eek:

please.

carrying around a microfibre cloth is bout the worst idea i've ever had. every phone or table i have ever had has been cleaned the same way and i've never scratched it.

it's corning gorilla glass. look on youtube. there are people using there phone as a chopping board, going at them with screw drivers and all sorts.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I use a stylus so my the screen doesn't get too grubby as such - dust particles are more of an issue.

To clean it I use the cloth that came with my reading glasses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    please.

carrying around a microfibre cloth is bout the worst idea i've ever had. every phone or table i have ever had has been cleaned the same way and i've never scratched it.

it's corning gorilla glass. look on youtube. there are people using there phone as a chopping board, going at them with screw drivers and all sorts.

Just being cautious. Not all tablets have the advantage of gorilla glass and the OP doesn't state type etc.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't they have oil repellant coatings that get worn away eventually ? I would use a microfibre and water and then put a screen protector on .