Do you ever get embarrassed when...

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
...someone you barely know is telling you a long, unfunny 'joke' and you feel compelled to laugh.

IE, put on a fake laugh?

I hate such situations, and like to dig a hole and bury myself. :D:D

Comments

• idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    If it is really unfunny I'll either laugh really enthusiastically in a sarcastic manner or simply say "I don't get it?"
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it impossible to fake laugh. Best I can do is manage a half grin/half grimace.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard so many bad jokes that it slaughtered my ability to feel embarrassed a long time ago. Many clients and colleagues believe they're good comedians when drunk. Looking on the bright side, everyone knows my laughter is always silent so it's not that hard to fake a laugh.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I hate it when someone tells you a joke that isnt funny but is offensive or rude. When you dont laugh because its not funny, they then imply that you didnt get it.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its unfunny, I normally just say 'very good...very good!' and walk away!
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone tells me a joke that isn't funny I will straight up tell them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to crawl away when someone starts one of those awful "I'm doing to drone on and tell a joke" monologues. They are NEVER funny. I guess I try and force out a weak laugh unless it is actively offensive.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Force a thin, momentary smile and faint nod, while saying nothing: l think that would be my natural reaction to someone saying something to me that I'm not impressed with.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sometimes block out what they're saying and think of a joke that IS funny and try to laugh at that just as the bore is finishing his 'joke'. :D
  • PiazzaPiazza Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I hate it when someone tells you a joke that isnt funny but is offensive or rude. When you dont laugh because its not funny, they then imply that you didnt get it.

Or claim that you don't have a sense of humour. I do, I just hate nasty, offensive jokes.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh..... that's made me think!!................ I haven't been in the situation for a long time with someone telling me a joke!...........................:o............ not that I liked it when I was!... I used to find it the most boring thing ever having to stand and listen, waiting for the punch line!............................BORING..................................:D

But hey!............. what has happened to my social life?................. I must get out more!.......:D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    If someone tells me a joke that isn't funny I will straight up tell them.

me too.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piazza wrote: »
    Or claim that you don't have a sense of humour. I do, I just hate nasty, offensive jokes.

Yes, I hate that. They tell an extremely offensive joke, and when you confront them about it they come out with the old "Don't you have a sense of humour?" generally favoured by all kinds of bigots and abusers.
  • Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you ever get embarrassed when...

You have been standing there chatting to an incredibly attractive women at the local pub for the last half hour, go to the toilet and realise that your flies were down all that time. You thought that particularly attractive women was laughing with you, but than dawns the possibility, that she might have been laughing at you.
  • Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »

There are plenty of people like that. If you don't: bust a gut laughing at the brilliance of their wit/joke they automatically assume it went above your head.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    ...someone you barely know is telling you a long, unfunny 'joke' and you feel compelled to laugh.

IE, put on a fake laugh?

I hate such situations, and like to dig a hole and bury myself. :D:D
    In those situations, I've often been so preoccupied to make sure I laugh at the right time etc, and to get the punchline, that I often miss it, and the whole thing falls flat, and I end up blaming myself to make them feel better!