Laptop booted then died

I was given a laptop to try and repair last night. It came with a multi adapter and I found that the laptop ran on 18.5v so I switched it on, it got to the windows logo screen and thought about it for a while then died and wont boot again. Originally the person who asked me to fix it said the screen wouldn't come on, but the vga was working when it booted earlier, it's just that now it's died completely.

Any ideas? :confused:

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure it's not just the battery/power supply?
  • Lemon HazeLemon Haze Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Yeah it could be I suppose, but I don't have a spare battery to test it. The adapter definitely works as it's a multi and I just tested it on something else. The battery should charge though, unless it's completely knackered.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lemon Haze wrote: »
    Yeah it could be I suppose, but I don't have a spare battery to test it. The adapter definitely works as it's a multi and I just tested it on something else. The battery should charge though, unless it's completely knackered.

The battery could be shot, or the power socket faulty.

Try removing the battery if you haven't already.
    Forum Member
    Yes I've tried removing and reinserting the battery but still no joy.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any lights lit on the laptop at all (battery charge, mains adapter etc.), or is it completely lifeless?
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lemon Haze wrote: »
    Yes I've tried removing and reinserting the battery but still no joy.
    Have you tried the mains adapter with the battery removed?
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    Have you tried the mains adapter with the battery removed?

I've removed the battery and tried but there's nothing. No lights, no anything. It's deader than a dead thing that's dead.