Tarrant to cover for Steve Wright

Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,677
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he going to bwe another permanent candidate for R2. I think he should do a Sunday afternoon show in place of Elaine Paige.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he going to bwe another permanent candidate for R2. I think he should do a Sunday afternoon show in place of Elaine Paige.

I doubt Mr Tarrant's knowledge of musicals is as good as Paige or Barrowman somehow.
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    Chris Tarrant sitting in for Steve Wright? This is excellent news! :D

For once, somebody decent sits in for Steve Wright rather than a z-list celebrity!
    Forum Member

I actually think Chris Tarrant would be excellent on Sunday mornings, 10.00am - 1.00pm followed by Pick of the Pops.

Michael Ball could replace Elaine Paige, with the show moving to Sunday nights in place of the awful Alan Titchmarsh.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Tarrant sitting in for Steve Wright? This is excellent news! :D

I hope Chris isn't given free reign over this show as the last show he did for GMG's Real and Smooth were nothing short of awful.

Hopefully if he sticks to Steve's format, it should be an interesting listen.
  • Phillip SwiftPhillip Swift Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For once, somebody decent sits in for Steve Wright rather than a z-list celebrity!

Or Allinson who's just dull. Safe music jock yes but personality no.
    Forum Member
    I hope Chris isn't given free reign over this show as the last show he did for GMG's Real and Smooth were nothing short of awful.

Hopefully if he sticks to Steve's format, it should be an interesting listen.

I am sure Chris will stick to Steve's format. Chris is a good interviewer and is a very lively and entertaining broadcaster. I still remember his Capital FM days. They were brilliant.
    Forum Member
    Or Allinson who's just dull. Safe music jock yes but personality no.

This is the reason why I disapprove of Richard Allinson sitting in for Chris Evans.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member

Quite. The Smooth radio show was a disaster from day one. I tried to convince myself it needed a few weeks to bed in but it never improved.
    Forum Member
    I am sure Chris will stick to Steve's format. Chris is a good interviewer and is a very lively and entertaining broadcaster. I still remember his Capital FM days. They were brilliant.

I'm sure Chris will have no say in the matter. But yes, his Capital dsays were brilliant. Let's just hope we hear some of tat enthusiasm coming back.

The interesting thing will be whether he has a sidekick or not. Tarrant is at his best on the radio when he has a good team - not quite as "zoo format" as Steve Wright but he needs other people to bounce off. I just hope it's not Mike Osman who he brought with him to Smooth.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Liza Tarbuck will be the studio sidekick?
    Forum Member

That had crossed my mind though I doubt that Tarrant's doing it for free. I think it's more likely that it'll be someone who - frankly - is a little cheaper than Liza.
    Forum Member
    That had crossed my mind though I doubt that Tarrant's doing it for free. I think it's more likely that it'll be someone who - frankly - is a little cheaper than Liza.

Well, we know it won't be Emma Forbes! It's a shame she's quit.

If a female co-host will be introduced I really cannot think of anyone off the top of my head.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder who will be his co-host? Mike Sweeney as they worked together on the smooth radio shows?
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,669
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    I wonder who will be his co-host? Mike Sweeney as they worked together on the smooth radio shows?

Mike Osman you mean?
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aye, poor Steve must be exhausted having been back at work for a whole 3 weeks by the middle of May. Jeeeez!

Are you Tarbuck's agent per chance? You seem to suggest her for everything that crops up or Radio 2.
    Forum Member
    Aye, poor Steve must be exhausted having been back at work for a whole 3 weeks by the middle of May. Jeeeez!

Are you Tarbuck's agent per chance? You seem to suggest her for everything that crops up or Radio 2.

And then says he can't think of any other female co-host :D

Surely Lynne Parsons, Janice Long, Janey Lee-Grace...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need The Sun to tell us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/radio/2010/wk20/mon.shtml#mon_radio2
    Chris Tarrant returns to BBC Radio as he sits in for Steve Wright all week, playing three hours of top tunes and talking to celebrity guests.

Chris last presented on BBC Radio 2 with pop star and songwriter Nik Kershaw in December 2009, profiling the Great British Songbook Of The Eighties.

Chris has a rich and diverse history of broadcasting, ruling the London airwaves from 1987 to 2004 as the host of the legendary Capital Radio Breakfast Show, as well as changing the face of the television game show as presenter of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? from 1998 until today.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,669
    Forum Member
    I will be very interested to hear how Chris sounds on the radio since his year long stint at Smooth/Real Radio.

I, like many, have such fond memories of his glory days at Capital but the Smooth/Real shows were awful in my opinion.

I hope that with having some reigns on with a playlist and format to stick to he maybe back to his former radio glory.
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Graham Norton will be better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danslink wrote: »
    Graham Norton will be better.

Then we would have three weeks of him. Breakfast to afternoons. No two weeks will be sufficient. Thanks:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I will be very interested to hear how Chris sounds on the radio since his year long stint at Smooth/Real Radio.

I, like many, have such fond memories of his glory days at Capital but the Smooth/Real shows were awful in my opinion.

I hope that with having some reigns on with a playlist and format to stick to he maybe back to his former radio glory.

Capital was brilliant. It will be nice to have him back on day times. Chris in the morning and a chris in the afternoons.

I wonder if he will be driving the desk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Mike Osman you mean?

Osman;)
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the first person to complain about Radio 2 using tv celebrities with no radio experience ;)
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »

Usually its you who breaks the news. Did you sleep in?