How much does society oppress you?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
Forum Member
Okay, going from a few threads on here, I'd love to know how you lot feel society plays a vital part in molding you as a person.

Yeah, sure we all are shaped by what surrounds us but how much do you conform to what you are told by society is as acceptable?

Where do you draw the line, in punching a hole through that wall of what is not only expected of us but what we should wear, listen to watch on tv. etc

A few examples, most blokes must watch, follow and enjoy football. In reality it is just one game out of many played by men (and women) but the social pressure is to not only enjoy that game but to make it a must in most male group situations.

Then there is fashion, where people who earn lots of money, tell publishers who make lots of money, what we should wear and what we should shun.

Etc

What is so wrong with being an individual?

What would you like to do but fear societies reaction?

What do you do that goes against the grain?

Comments

• comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a white, straight, male I do not feel the slightest bit oppressed. Or have any need to conform really. maybe I'm just lucky.

having said that - I still wear clothes in public - F**CKING SOCIETY AND ITS 'RULES'!! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    As a white, straight, male I do not feel the slightest bit oppressed. Or have any need to conform really. maybe I'm just lucky.

having said that - I still wear clothes in public - F**CKING SOCIETY AND ITS 'RULES'!! :mad:

That's the thing, some rules make no common sense what so ever. They change at the drop of a hat and yet we are all too happy, not only to follow but chastise those that don't conform.

At the end of the day, you only have one life.

Do you live it for others on how they think you should live or be true to yourself?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    That's the thing, some rules make no common sense what so ever. They change at the drop of a hat and yet we are all too happy, not only to follow but chastise those that don't conform.

This is Britain! Winge and moan but do ****-all about it!

Despite being clearly shafted by politicians and banking elites alike, hardly anyone has the balls to stand up and fight.
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »

Despite being clearly shafted by politicians and banking elites alike, hardly anyone has the balls to stand up and fight.

I do love a good old moan though, sometimes. :D

Don't get me started on old people in those electrical moped things, especially the ones who drive at full throttle through pedestrianised shopping centres, they then .....:mad: Bah

Actually, maybe they are just throwing caution to the wind and thinking, "what the hell, just floor it!"
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »

Nope, x-factor and the latest shoes seem to be more important, rather than what is really happening in the World.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) I dunno, I just wanna own a Bentley GT like all my friends do.

2) I wish i could cut my own grass.

3) I don't have a strong opinion on who killed/abducted Maddy.
    Forum Member
    1) I dunno, I just wanna own a Bentley GT like all my friends do.

2) I wish i could cut my own grass.

3) I don't have a strong opinion on who killed/abducted Maddy.

1) So if you owned a Bentley thing, you'd feel happy? Why though? Sure, don't get me wrong it may be a nice car but it gets you from A to B. Is it being seen driving a Bentley or the ride?

2) Are you able to cut your own grass?

3) That's a good thing, you are open minded and not swayed by the majority opinion.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I believe that society can only oppress you as far as you allow it too, I'm not so passionate about it as to go on strikes or marches but I do what I want to do and as long as its not illegal and doesn't hurt anybody than nobody can stop me. I've never felt like I needed to fit into a label or stereotype, even at school I had friends from all walks of life. I am a very versatile and adaptable person and can fit it anywhere if I choose, but all of the time I'm me.
    Forum Member
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I believe that society can only oppress you as far as you allow it too, I'm not so passionate about it as to go on strikes or marches but I do what I want to do and as long as its not illegal and doesn't hurt anybody than nobody can stop me. I've never felt like I needed to fit into a label or stereotype, even at school I had friends from all walks of life. I am a very versatile and adaptable person and can fit it anywhere if I choose, but all of the time I'm me.

That's a good outlook. :)
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the end of the day, you only have one life.

You mean "YOLO"!

I just learnt that today apparently..
    Forum Member
    You mean "YOLO"!

I just learnt that today apparently..

:D Lol me too just now.

Definition googled and taken from Urban dictionary.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Lol me too just now.

Definition googled and taken from Urban dictionary.

It's cool on Twitter apparently.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's cool on Twitter apparently.

it was about a month ago for about 32 hours
  • PankrationPankration Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit, they all think I'm crazy. S'ok though, they respect me, from a distance.