BBC's plans for coverage of Winter Olympics

Comments

• coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    You would hope so, he's a huge Sheffield Steelers fan.

i think Premier Sports should use him on Elite League hockey...
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think Premier Sports should use him on Elite League hockey...

Yeah but he also does football commentary for BBC Radio Sheffield & the Football League Show, he might not be able to make it to all EIHL live games.
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but he also does football commentary for BBC Radio Sheffield & the Football League Show, he might not be able to make it to all EIHL live games.

yea i know. hes a good all rounder really isnt he
  • AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Ballard was also on ice hockey for the past three or four Olympics. Haven't heard him yet? (I presume at this stage as well that we won't)
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any reason why Figure Skating is on the RB and BBC2 ? I'm wanting to watch the Hockey, Team Canada are playing.

Because BBC2 tends to dip in and out of events. Red Button is showing events uninterrupted - which means some duplication will exist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Am I the only person here having problems with receiving BBC Red Button 2 on satellite (out of contract Sky box) on Channel 978 or via the Red Button? At the moment I either get a load of colourful pixellation or a no satelite signal is being received message depending on the time of day (colourful pixellation in the day and no signal message at night). It is already bad enough the stupid BBC thinks we must all have web connected tvs and so have axed down the cable and satellite Olympics and Wimbledon offering from 6 to only 2 feeds and have also replicated the horrid Freeview menu interface to navigate between them instead of the excellent press 1 to 6 system we had before.

My box is connected to a communal satellite dish serving 17 flats that was put up 8 years ago. After the big downpour on Christmas Eve the signal from the dish failed and I believe the LNB was replaced after several days wait due to the xmas holidays and my generally stupid resident's management company run by a bunch of aggressive control freakery driven old pensioners not having 24/7 repair cover in place.

When the dish failed on Christmas Eve there was no signal at all. Now it has been "repaired" the Sky box signal strength menu tells me I have virtually maximum signal strength and about 90% signal quality, which is way better than with the old LNB. I went to known problem channels like France 24 and True Movies and they were all fine. Apart from Red Button 2 the only other stations I seem to have signal problems on are Travel Channel (but not Travel Channel +1), Horse & Country, Fitness Tv, Planet Pop, Clubland Tv, Heart Tv and Capital Tv. This doesn't appear to be everything broadcast on Astra 2F at www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-Kingdom.html by a very long way and I am getting Red Button 1 and all the BBC Channels and Film 4 etc on 2F with no issues. It seems particularly odd that Red Button 1 is ok and Red Button 2 is not.

Clearly I need to chase my resident's management company to get them to chase the satellite installer to come back and realign the dish but before I do this can anyone here give me an idea of why just these few channels are being affected when the Sky box (old Panasonic TU-DSB 20) still gets nearly all the other channels with no problems. Apart from anything else if I report the problem to the aggressive Col Blimps who run the management company here they are likely to demand access to my flat to get proof of the problem (they are so boring they will only ever watch mainstream channels like BBC1 and ITV1) and as I don't keep a very tidy flat I don't wish to give them that pleasure in order to allow to them add to their usual unpleasant and rude harrassment of anyone here who is not on their ruling elite and dares question the way they do things.
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On sky 977 and 988 are red button and recordable.

Can I just say thank you as I hadn`t known about these two channels before reading this thread. Now catching up with the Luge from earlier.
  • ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    Did anyone see Don Cherry with Seth today? I missed it. Don is a legend. A racist, dinosaur of a legend, but a legend nonetheless.
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ElMarko wrote: »
    Did anyone see Don Cherry with Seth today? I missed it. Don is a legend. A racist, dinosaur of a legend, but a legend nonetheless.
    It was yesterday (unless he was on today as well?), but it was great to hear him on the BBC.
    Forum Member
    So no one else has issues receiving BBC RB2 on Sky channel 978 it would appear, even though I can receive RB1 on 977 and all other BBC, ITV, C4 and Five channels plus numerous obscure ones like Information Tv, Africa Channel and Vox Africa and all of the news channels from 501 to 519.

Any suggestions on why I can't receive only BBC RB2, Horse & Country and a few other obscure FTA music channels.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capvermell wrote: »
    So no one else has issues receiving BBC RB2 on Sky channel 978 it would appear, even though I can receive RB1 on 977 and all other BBC, ITV, C4 and Five channels plus numerous obscure ones like Information Tv, Africa Channel and Vox Africa and all of the news channels from 501 to 519.

Any suggestions on why I can't receive only BBC RB2, Horse & Country and a few other obscure FTA music channels.

Im afraid I cant help you in suggesting a fix, but the reason that you are having trouble with BBC RB 2 and no other BBC channels, is because its not on a BBC transponder, its on another transponder with totally unrelated channels to the BBC!

Its on 12552 V 22000-5/6 Astra 2F

along with:
    Travel Channel UK
    Retail Therapy TV
    Sony SAB TV Asia
    More>Movies
    Best Direct
    QVC Beauty
    BelieVe TV
    Horse & Country TV
    JML Direct
    Fitness & Beauty TV
    ABP News UK
    Glory TV
    Tristar
    TV Warehouse

Details from http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2F.html
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    I am getting Red Button 1 and all the BBC Channels and Film 4 etc on 2F with no issues. It seems particularly odd that Red Button 1 is ok and Red Button 2 is not.

BBC RB1 and Film 4 are on Astra 2E according to lygnsat, Could it be you are getting bad signal with 2F only? If you have a large communial dish it might be possible to be out of tune of one of the sats and not the other, hard to say as I haven't a large dish myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    Because BBC2 tends to dip in and out of events. Red Button is showing events uninterrupted - which means some duplication will exist.

Thank you. It really pisses me off when Clair Blading said that that "if you want to watch the Ice Hockey, it's on the Red Button". Er, no it's not love.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    It was if you had a Connected TV.
  • AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is I'm sure a lot of people don't know what Connected TV is unfortunately...
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    its not on a BBC transponder, its on another transponder with totally unrelated channels to the BBC!

Its on 12552 V 22000-5/6 Astra 2F

along with:
    Travel Channel UK
    Retail Therapy TV
    Sony SAB TV Asia
    More>Movies
    Best Direct
    QVC Beauty
    BelieVe TV
    Horse & Country TV
    JML Direct
    Fitness & Beauty TV
    ABP News UK
    Glory TV
    Tristar
    TV Warehouse

Details from http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2F.html
    Ok thanks.

I also can't get Horse & Country, Travel Channel and More>Movies plus I would assume all of the above if I had a quick plan of channel numbers for them.

I also can't get

370 Planet Pop
    383 Clubland Tv
    387 Heart Tv
    388 Capital Tv

To be honest the reason I haven't spotted it up to now is the only channel I normally watch that is affected is the Travel Channel but it was BBC RB2 on 978 that brought the problem to my attention.

So now a difficult conversation with the ageing Col Blimps to persuade them a problem with channels they never watch matters. Of course it does mean the repair was not done properly as the full aligment was not exhaustively checked (alternatively the wrong kind of LNB for a large communal dish has been used) so it should be a free call out under warranty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Akilduff wrote: »
    Problem is I'm sure a lot of people don't know what Connected TV is unfortunately...

Just what I was about to say. I've no idea and never heard of that until just now.
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »

Regarding a Connected Tv what the hell do people mean by that? My mother has a Panasonic TX-P42GT50 model that was bought in January 2013 and has a built in BBC Iplayer module but it still can't do the additional BBC Olympic feeds as these need a full blown Java compatible web browser. It has a web browser but it isn't Java compatible. She also has a brand new Samsung BD-F 6500 Blu Ray player I bought her to provide the missing 4OD, Demand 5 and ITV Player that Panasonic can't be bothered with producing but that still doesn't do the BBC Internet Olympic feeds either as that needs a Java enabled browser capable of running the full BBC website.

The television is connected to the internet but still doesn't seem capable of receiving any of the additional BBC Internet Streams as these aren't available through the TV BBC IPlayer as they are BBC website and not IPlayer feeds! I think you will find this is the case for most of what you are defining as being Connected TVs without actually having one and experiencing how limited their capabilities actually are in the real world.

This is the www.thefutureisconnected.co.uk website but most of it seems to be fantasy in comparison to the capabilities of most Connected Tvs that people currently have in their homes and that have been sold over the last four to five years.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,325
    Forum Member
    Akilduff wrote: »
    Bob Ballard was also on ice hockey for the past three or four Olympics. Haven't heard him yet? (I presume at this stage as well that we won't)

Bob is in Sochi, but I'm not sure who he's working for? I should ask him really. He hasn't worked for the BBC for a while now, he's freelance now. The BBC used CBC's commentary of the USA v Slovakia game the other day, which was really good. I not a huge fan of Bennett and Pope.

I wish the BBC would put the Don Cherry interview on the website, it wasn't broadcast on the web feed of the game which I was watching.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding a Connected Tv what the hell do people mean by that? My mother has a Panasonic TX-P42GT50 model that was bought in January 2013 and has a built in BBC Iplayer module but it still can't do the additional BBC Olympic feeds as these need a full blown Java compatible web browser. It has a web browser but it isn't Java compatible. She also has a brand new Samsung BD-F 6500 Blu Ray player I bought her to provide the missing 4OD, Demand 5 and ITV Player that Panasonic can't be bothered with producing but that still doesn't do the BBC Internet Olympic feeds either as that needs a Java enabled browser capable of running the full BBC website.

The television is connected to the internet but still doesn't seem capable of receiving any of the additional BBC Internet Streams as these aren't available through the TV BBC IPlayer as they are BBC website and not IPlayer feeds! I think you will find this is the case for most of what you are defining as being Connected TVs without actually having one and experiencing how limited their capabilities actually are in the real world.

This is the www.thefutureisconnected.co.uk website but most of it seems to be fantasy in comparison to the capabilities of most Connected Tvs that people currently have in their homes and that have been sold over the last four to five years.

The streams aren't available through the i-player, forget that, they are available through the BBC Sport app, which if it isn't already installed in the TV should be available to be downloaded from the apps store. For the price of that telly, if you can't do that I'd take it back!
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    The streams aren't available through the i-player, forget that, they are available through the BBC Sport app, which if it isn't already installed in the TV should be available to be downloaded from the apps store. For the price of that telly, if you can't do that I'd take it back!

The telly does have the BBC Sport App but normally that's a useless waste of time I never use that only promotes already broadcast stuff also available on the IPlayer. It never occurred to me they would use it to provide the red button feeds they have stupidly just removed from satellite and cable.

Why on earth doesn't the BBC Red Button function on a Connected Tv realise that it is "Connected" and also offer the missing four feeds via the normal red button menu that way. I am sure I am not the only person with access to a Connected Tv that did not realise where the additional feeds were available from.

On the whole if it was my tv it would have gone back to John Lewis as despite the great picture the lack of web functionality and Panasonic's total lack of enthusiasm for keeping the apps updated is utterly appalling. Its my mum's tv and she doesn't like to make a fuss and also her tv viewing requirements are not as demanding as mine so we are stuck with it.

I'm currently at my home where I have an ancient tv hooked to an 11 year old Mark 1 Tivo. and a Sky Digibox through the Tivo. There is no way to get any of the additional BBC feeds through that. My laptop has an HDMI socket but my tv doesn't. I don't know if a YouView box or a NowTv box (a lot cheaper than a YouView box) would let me get the missing BBC Olympic feeds either directly or by providing a way to connect my laptop to the PC via SCART at the tv end?
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »

Indeed - you shouldn't be looking at the BBC Sport website via your connected TV for these feeds - look for the BBC Sport App instead.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It never occurred to me they would use it to provide the red button feeds they have stupidly just removed from satellite and cable.
    In a Service Review by the BBC Trust (in 2010) they said this of the Red Button streams:
    finding that it is a widely used and popular service, but has substantial costs and should focus on the things it does well and which its audience uses the most - the provision of news and information through digital text and additional coverage of major live events - while seeking to reduce its distribution costs by providing a more consistent level of service across different digital TV platforms.

The BBC have reduced the streams down to 1 on all platforms, and are moving towards connected services which have a lower distribution cost, and therefore are getting better value.
  • JohnWJohnW Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the BBC have taken against the women in the Biathlon. There's no Red Button coverage scheduled of the Women's Mass Start and Women's Relay, also not the Mixed Relay. All very well being streamed online, but you can't record that.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The telly does have the BBC Sport App but normally that's a useless waste of time I never use that only promotes already broadcast stuff also available on the IPlayer. It never occurred to me they would use it to provide the red button feeds they have stupidly just removed from satellite and cable.

Why on earth doesn't the BBC Red Button function on a Connected Tv realise that it is "Connected" and also offer the missing four feeds via the normal red button menu that way. I am sure I am not the only person with access to a Connected Tv that did not realise where the additional feeds were available from.

On the whole if it was my tv it would have gone back to John Lewis as despite the great picture the lack of web functionality and Panasonic's total lack of enthusiasm for keeping the apps updated is utterly appalling. Its my mum's tv and she doesn't like to make a fuss and also her tv viewing requirements are not as demanding as mine so we are stuck with it.

I'm currently at my home where I have an ancient tv hooked to an 11 year old Mark 1 Tivo. and a Sky Digibox through the Tivo. There is no way to get any of the additional BBC feeds through that. My laptop has an HDMI socket but my tv doesn't. I don't know if a YouView box or a NowTv box (a lot cheaper than a YouView box) would let me get the missing BBC Olympic feeds either directly or by providing a way to connect my laptop to the PC via SCART at the tv end?

Because and I am not hot on this. To use say four more channels the BBC I assume have to rent the broadcast space. But adding it into its web service is more cost effective.

The BBC are trying to be fair and save us LF payers money.

Re the Sport App, I have a Samsung TV. and in the bottom right corner is a multi screen menu type logo. Hit that and the Winter options appear.