Options

Cameron No Greens no Debates for me.

oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well that's that done and over.

Options are.

1, they allow the greens SNP will take legal action (as would plaid)
2. they leave his space empty
3. the debates are called off

What really irks me about this back in 2010 the pressure on Brown was immense from Sky and the BBC. that doesn't seem there this time I wasn't a fan of the format for one reason we are not electing a president yet with it all focused on one person that's the impression you got.

Sorry nothing will ever beat the good old battle busses

Comments

• Options
    SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If UKIP are in the debates so should the Greens. You could also make a strong case for the SNP as well.

Cameron is doing this for political purposes but I don't blame him. He would be attacked from the left by Lab and the Lib Dems and attacked from the right by UKIP. He would be in the middle trying to fend off attacks from two flanks, not an easy task for anyone.

With the Greens in and maybe some other parties it would be more difficult to let it become a tory bashing exercise.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the concept of leader's debates anyway. Another horrible American import designed to give the appearance of public scrutiny.

Far better for there to be debates in town halls up and down the country where normal people can come along and ask questions of local representatives, and get a response that has not been prepared in advance.
  • Options
    Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Greens should be allowed but this is an obvious move by Cameron to avoid the debates. Probably terrified of being out Toried by UKIP on the big stage.

He is nothing but a spineless coward.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the concept of leader's debates anyway. Another horrible American import designed to give the appearance of public scrutiny.

Far better for there to be debates in town halls up and down the country where normal people can come along and ask questions of local representatives, and get a response that has not been prepared in advance.

Absolutely this. Local debates are much better at getting the issues that matter to people discussed than TV 'let's quote the sounbites' debates..
    The Greens should be allowed but this is an obvious move by Cameron to avoid the debates. Probably terrified of being out Toried by UKIP on the big stage.

No, IMO he is sensible when it comes to this. The TV debates are little more than who can shout the loudest while saying the least.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »

Options are.

What really irks me about this back in 2010 the pressure on Brown was immense from Sky and the BBC. that doesn't seem there this time I wasn't a fan of the format for one reason we are not electing a president yet with it all focused on one person that's the impression you got.

Do you have a link?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more the merrier - and the more he's able to "miss" things out
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron must really be terrified of Farage.

If the broadcasters do include the Greens what excuse will he use to get out of the debates then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I had a feeling the debates wouldn't happen because of the recent rise of UKIP.

I laugh at the fact all the lefties are attacking Cameron. The LibLabCon don't want people to hear the truth. Labour don't want UKIP there as they will further expose them. Miliband will be secretly relieved he has a scape goat now.

It's all about stopping UKIP taking the big stage. Farage would wipe the floor with them.

But hey lets have a Ed vs Nigel debate then Labour??

Thought not..........Ed Milibawk returns.

:cry::kitty::kitty:
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we can safely say that it's the first time a Tory PM has ever stuck up for the rights of a radical left party to be included in a public debate.

Really, the whole Green thing is the thinnest of thin pretexts to scupper the whole thing. If the Green's are included what will be the next excuse? Sorry, the cameras aren't freetrade, the bottled water isn't sustainable, the light bulbs aren't eco-friendly? ;-)

I understand people's concern about the debates but like it or not the position of PM is extremely important - they are the key person for setting the political agenda of any government. If a party's manifesto is a cook book then the PM is the chef.

Maybe we could agree on having a leaders debate just between Cameron and Miliband and then have a series of'party' debate where each party nominates a spokesman to put forward their argument on a certain topic. That would seem to me to be a reasonable solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of the debates either. I think it works fine in America as you have two choices, Democrat or Republican, with so many parties in the UK it just doesn't work.

Too much potential for political gamesmanship with parties ganging up on a particular one and also whoever shouts the loudest at the right time tends to get the most from it.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

Cameron must be wishing he hadn't insisted on the debates in 2010. Before the debates he was in line to get a reasonable majority, but Brown did better in them than expected and Clegg played a total blinder. Without the debates he wouldn't have been in a coalition. This time as PM he's on a loser either way. Either he's too yellow to debate with the others, of he gets hammered from both sides. Basically he manoeuvred himself into a lose / lose situation.
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Do you have a link?
    A link to what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LibLabCON wrote: »
    I had a feeling the debates wouldn't happen because of the recent rise of UKIP.

I laugh at the fact all the lefties are attacking Cameron. The LibLabCon don't want people to hear the truth. Labour don't want UKIP there as they will further expose them. Miliband will be secretly relieved he has a scape goat now.

It's all about stopping UKIP taking the big stage. Farage would wipe the floor with them.

:
    Is that deliberate irony? If so, it's brilliant:)
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Do you have a link?
    A link to what?
    A link to the story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30726499
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Greens have one MP and have been in parliament for 5 years after winning a seat at a GE. UKIP have two that came from defections then by-elections and have been in parliament for 5 minutes.

How is it fair that UKIP get a platform to build up their support and not the Greens?
  • Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »

Options are.

I wasn't aware of the pressure from the broadcasters on Brown to have a debate. I thought he was open to it himself, seeing as he was doing so badly at the time, he must've thought it was the last throw of the dice, nothing to lose.

Anyway, I think this is a wise decision from Cameron. He has absolutely nothing to gain from another round of debates. He's doing alright in the opinion polls at the moment of leaders. He certainly doesn't want to give a platform to Miliband or Farage. I honestly don't think the debates will happen at all now. It makes no sense to simply have the debates between the other parties and 'leave the space empty' for Cameron. Think about it, why would Miliband give the other left of centre parties a chance to split his Labour vote? He's gunning for Cameron, and if he's not there, its all rather pointless.
  • Options
    The infidelThe infidel Posts: 3,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Greens are a minority party so have no place in a serious debate. If they are invited then the BNP will want to come. If the BNP get invited, SNP will see that they have grounds to be there as well. Before you know it you just have a room full of extremists.

The debate should only be between the main parties namely UKIP, Labour and The Conservatives.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to think of the last round of these as the precise moment I completely gave up giving a shit about politics in this country. It was 3 grown men, competing for sound bite style youtube "must see most inspiretion evar speach!" hits. Mixed in, with a bit of X Factor. It made me angry, then I found peace in knowing that its all pointless, either side will continue to help the interests of those already rich and powerful people.

Only the Greens and the BNP have any sort of honor to their cause, and I wouldnt want one of them anywhere near power, and the other I dont think would have a full grasp on what to do. Thats the shitty state we find ourselves, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Greens are a minority party so have no place in a serious debate. If they are invited then the BNP will want to come. If the BNP get invited, SNP will see that they have grounds to be there as well. Before you know it you just have a room full of extremists.

The debate should only be between the main parties namely UKIP, Labour and The Conservatives.
    Feeding time again?
    The Greens and SNP are not extremists, both have MPs and several per cent in the polls. The SNP even runs a government. In the latest polls the Greens get more votes than the Lib Dems, and the SNP gets about half the vote in Scotland.

The BNP is a has been party of racists and thugs and it's support has drifted to UKIP. They have been destroyed at the ballot box and should retire to live under some rock at the bottom of a cess pit where they belong.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Both UKIP and the Greens have MP's. It's a general election so BNP don't qualify.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    as ive said Cameron would be a fool to take part in this,he has nothing to gain

and since hes the one people want to see, they wont happen

only Farage and salmon and the aussie will push for them as they will give them a platform (I agree with nick!)

Cameron isnt a fool and wont take the bait, just stick to pushing the Economy

millipeade will stick to NHS clegg taxing the rich
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcom ruled Greens are not a major party.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My view is that this cannot be a strategy for Cameron to avoid the 3 debates, because.....he would never live that down.

The BBC explanation seems much more likely. That he is saying privately that he wants Miliband to contend with "people to their left" during the first debate.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as ive said Cameron would be a fool to take part in this,he has nothing to gain

and since hes the one people want to see, they wont happen

only Farage and salmon and the aussie will push for them as they will give them a platform (I agree with nick!)

Cameron isnt a fool and wont take the bait, just stick to pushing the Economy

millipeade will stick to NHS clegg taxing the rich

In other words, 'I will defend Cameron no matter what he ever does'.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron's playing politics - no question. But he wants the Greens in because they'll prove to be a nice little alternative for many to Labour. Why on earth should Ed have it so easy? Answer: no reason whatsoever....
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    My view is that this cannot be a strategy for Cameron to avoid the 3 debates, because.....he would never live that down.

The BBC explanation seems much more likely. That he is saying privately that he wants Miliband to contend with "people to their left" during the first debate.

Oh, that rare thing - we agree. ;-)