Does the terrorism threat scare you?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    How many people in the UK died of terrorist offences in the UK last year?
    On average between 5 - 10 people die per year putting on their socks. I am more worried by socks.

However....how many terrorist incidents were there? The answer would surprise you once you add all the foiled jihadist plots...

...to all the pipe bombs left on window sills or doorways in Northern Ireland, or the terrorist punishment shootings, or the bomb scares, or the abandoned devices...

There's an average of at least one terrorist incident a day here in N.I. of some sort from one side of the "community" or another. It's been mere luck and excellent onging security efforts that have meant so few deaths.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However....how many terrorist incidents were there? The answer would surprise you once you add all the foiled jihadist plots...

...to all the pipe bombs left on window sills or doorways in Northern Ireland, or the terrorist punishment shootings, or the bomb scares, or the abandoned devices...

There's an average of at least one terrorist incident a day here in N.I. of some sort from one side of the "community" or another. It's been mere luck and excellent onging security efforts that have meant so few deaths.

The 'they only have to be lucky once' theory. Which has a valid point. It still does not worry me though, although I don't live in NI. Visited Lisburn and Belfast once and found it a strange experience.
  • Options
    Paul_PPaul_P Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    The 'they only have to be lucky once' theory. Which has a valid point. It still does not worry me though, although I don't live in NI. Visited Lisburn and Belfast once and found it a strange experience.

Even if you're born and bred here, visiting Lisburn is a strange experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_P wrote: »
    Even if you're born and bred here, visiting Lisburn is a strange experience.

Ah, fair enough then!
  • Options
    Paul_PPaul_P Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Not in my part of the country.
    The thing about the Cuban thing is that it would have wiped pretty much all life on earth.

Not really, it would have killed millions, but it wouldn't have been the global extinction that you hear bandied about. If it had kicked off in the early to mid eighties, when both sides had many times the amount of nuclear weapons they had in 1962, then you could have had the end of civilization as we know it.

Nuclear war became much less likely once both sides realized it was not winnable.
  • Options
    Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, lived through the IRA bombings, suppose I should worry living near to the Islamic City of Birmingham :D:D
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd rather die then be severely injured amongst bodies and limbs and such
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many people in the UK died of terrorist offences in the UK last year?
    On average between 5 - 10 people die per year putting on their socks. I am more worried by socks.

Of course you're aware this fortunate figure is mostly due to the admirable efforts of our security services, as opposed to there being no threat.

http://news.sky.com/story/1379349/forty-terror-plots-foiled-since-7-7-attacks

You're not worried, because men and women are working their socks off to keep it that way.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Of course you're aware this fortunate figure is mostly due to the admirable efforts of our security services, as opposed to there being no threat.

http://news.sky.com/story/1379349/forty-terror-plots-foiled-since-7-7-attacks

You're not worried, because men and women are working their socks off to keep it that way.

How do we know that they are telling the truth when they say a plot has been stopped when a lot of the time we just have their word? These agencies exist only as long as there is terrorism or some other kind of enemy out there so it's not out of the question to wonder how many times there whether some of these threats are either exaggerated or completely fabricated. A story about how your agency stopped a deadly terror attack is great for when your arguing why they should be exempt from the next round of budget cuts for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    How do we know that they are telling the truth when they say a plot has been stopped when a lot of the time we just have their word? These agencies exist only as long as there is terrorism or some other kind of enemy out there so it's not out of the question to wonder how many times there whether some of these threats are either exaggerated or completely fabricated. A story about how your agency stopped a deadly terror attack is great for when your arguing why they should be exempt from the next round of budget cuts for example.

Are you suggesting that young Muslims are not being radicalised, that firebrand clerics are not warping their minds, and it's all a conspiracy concocted by our own security services? That could have come straight out of a sermon from Finsbury Park Mosque.
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not living in NI i'm more likely to get run over walking to the local shop (to get a paper to read about terrorism). Since this thread started 36 hours or so ago 4 or 5 people would have died on our roads and more seriously injured. Yet this poll currently showing 20% are scared of terror attack whereas i bet 20% aren't scared of getting in a car tomorrow morning.

...... it was only yesterday i was 2-3 feet away from death. A bus went by on the road whilst i stood on the pavement!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfamale wrote: »
    Not living in NI i'm more likely to get run over walking to the local shop (to get a paper to read about terrorism). Since this thread started 36 hours or so ago 4 or 5 people would have died on our roads and more seriously injured. Yet this poll currently showing 20% are scared of terror attack whereas i bet 20% aren't scared of getting in a car tomorrow morning.

...... it was only yesterday i was 2-3 feet away from death. A bus went by on the road whilst i stood on the pavement!

Don't forget the risk from socks, don't even think about the deaths in baths.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the risk from socks, don't even think about the deaths in baths.

I think it's bad taste trivialising the casualties of terror attacks in this way, and also being dismissive of those who foil the countless attempts at massacres, not just in this country, but globally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's bad taste trivialising the casualties of terror attacks in this way, and also being dismissive of those who foil the countless attempts at massacres, not just in this country, but globally.

Not trivialising anybody. Just the ludicrous over reaction.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Are you suggesting that young Muslims are not being radicalised, that firebrand clerics are not warping their minds, and it's all a conspiracy concocted by our own security services? That could have come straight out of a sermon from Finsbury Park Mosque.

No, those things definitely do happen but maybe not at the quantity the security services like to claim. When they tell us a terror plot has been uncovered and stopped we are being asked to just take their word for it. The word of an agency who relies on the continued existence of "terror threats" to justify it's own existence and funding, and who make a living out of lying manipulation and deceit. If people think that a terror attack has been foiled, that's the intelligence agencies jobs secure for the immediate future and their budgets won't be slashed and might even be increased. Can you not see how at times they might be tempted to exaggerate a threat and also why I can't trust "the word" of people whose profession is to avoid telling the truth?
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nobody is trivialising. You are officially more likely to get killed as a cyclist in London than you are by terrorists. This is a fact.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a very rare occurence here, so no it doesn't scare me. If something is going to happen and I'm going to get caught up in it, it's pretty much out of my control anyway, so I'm not going to worry too much about it.