Options

3rd Narnia film and Gulliver's Travels to be released in 3D

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
Forum Member
20th Century Fox will release both The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Gulliver's Travels in 3D this December. ComingSoon.net has confirmed through our source that it is indeed the case - the studio will be adding a third dimension to those two holiday films.

The Michael Apted-directed third installment of the "Narnia" franchise is scheduled for a December 10 release, followed by the Jack Black-starring fantasy action adventure Gulliver's Travels on December 22.

Comments

• Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Urgh... as long as Narnia III is released in 2D as well, I'll be happy.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    'Dawn Treader' in 3d will mean loads of shots of the boat sailing straight at the camera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :p
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember thinking when I read the Narnia books as a child, why aren't these stories in 3D?
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That'll be a busy time for 3D releases then with Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1 also being released in 3D on November 19th. I've also heard they're palnning to re-release the first six Potters in 3D too although I don't know either when or how it would work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I remember thinking when I read the Narnia books as a child, why aren't these stories in 3D?

Well, some of them are in more than 3D. If we are assuming that Narnia, Earth and the other worlds (Charn, True Narnia, the wood between worlds) exist in separate dimensions, then Aslan knows how many 'D' it will be.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :p

That's how I felt about Prince Caspian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So really, the third one should put you in a coma?
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »

The only good thing about that movie was how hot the girl playing susan was in her armor!

That said, Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a good book, so it should hopefully be a good film, and the 3D should be pretty cool, especially of the ship itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ and the Tilda Swinton cameo was a highlight in it too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    So really, the third one should put you in a coma?

and you watch films that puts you in a coma then..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, not at all. I enjoyed the sequel.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    'Dawn Treader' in 3d will mean loads of shots of the boat sailing straight at the camera.

Didn't see Prince Caspian (the advertising made me feel uncomfortable enough not to bother) but the Dawn Treader was my favourite of the series as a child and frankly I can't wait to see it in 3-D :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »

One thing I noticed about the ocean sequences in the Pixar film How to train a dragon 3D was how fantastic they looked. I think the rough seas will be better than the ship.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe but Prince Caspian was boring. Dawn Treader was one of my favourite Narnia books though so hopefully the film will be brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sendibo wrote: »
    I liked the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe but Prince Caspian was boring. Dawn Treader was one of my favourite Narnia books though so hopefully the film will be brilliant.

I wouldn't say it was boring, but it was flawed. I think the biggest problem is you are going back to Narnia.
    In the first film it's ll new so you have the wonderment of wow it's Narnia, itsn't it beautiful and magical. When you go back there you know what to expect so don't have the same feeling.
    I think it's the same with LOR. The first film you go wow, Hobbits, Orcs etc. The second one you go oh look Hobbits and Orc. Third film oh look more of those things... meh!

I'm still wondering how Reepacheep is going to be different in Narnia 3 now Bill Nighy is voicing him and not Eddie Izzard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it was boring, but it was flawed. I think the biggest problem is you are going back to Narnia.
    In the first film it's ll new so you have the wonderment of wow it's Narnia, itsn't it beautiful and magical. When you go back there you know what to expect so don't have the same feeling.
    I think it's the same with LOR. The first film you go wow, Hobbits, Orcs etc. The second one you go oh look Hobbits and Orc. Third film oh look more of those things... meh!

I'm still wondering how Reepacheep is going to be different in Narnia 3 now Bill Nighy is voicing him and not Eddie Izzard.

I agree. It's no coincicdence that following Prince Caspian, Lewis chose to take the advetnures to other locations, like the open seas in 'Dawn Treader', Harfang and Underland in 'Silver Chair', Calormen in 'Horse & His Boy' etc...
  • Options
    elite fileselite files Posts: 15,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »

pray they never adapt the horse and the boy:)
  • Options
    Julie JJulie J Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prince Caspian himself was very very hot indeed - never mind the film :D
  • Options
    savedlatinsavedlatin Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Julie J wrote: »
    Prince Caspian himself was very very hot indeed - never mind the film :D

I agree with that! :D
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

See, I enjoyed Prince Caspian more than The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Possibly because LWW has always been one of my favourite books (and I adored the 1980s BBC adaptation :D ) and I felt they twisted the story in some ways, not wholly successfully. Whereas I was never overkeen on Prince Caspian (or Dawn Treader really, although the adventures are truly bonkers in that book) so what they did with it really worked for me :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See, I enjoyed Prince Caspian more than The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Possibly because LWW has always been one of my favourite books (and I adored the 1980s BBC adaptation :D ) and I felt they twisted the story in some ways, not wholly successfully. Whereas I was never overkeen on Prince Caspian (or Dawn Treader really, although the adventures are truly bonkers in that book) so what they did with it really worked for me :)

I prefers LWW and don't think PC is as bad as people make it out to be.
    It fails for me in 3 areas.

1) Prince Caspian is too old and a bit wet.
    2) Reepacheep. I hate those kind of cute/funny heroric animal kind of characters. Scrappy Doo killed the Scoony Doo cartoons.:mad:
    3) Narnia wasn't right. It was 100 years on, The kings (Kids) were gone as was Aslan. There had been a war and the place was a darker, less alive place. But you never really got a sense of that as they walked about through the landscape of Narnia.
    When you compare that to the Disney film "Return to Oz" as Dorothy was going through Oz it was evident that things had changed and it was a much darker and troubled/dangerous place. The first time she encountered The Wheelies they unsettled you because they had a sense of menace about them.
    PC really needed to get that over more. They are back in narnia but it's not the lovely place they left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was 100 years on, The kings (Kids) were gone as was Aslan. There had been a war and the place was a darker, less alive place. But you never really got a sense of that as they walked about through the landscape of Narnia.
    When you compare that to the Disney film "Return to Oz" as Dorothy was going through Oz it was evident that things had changed and it was a much darker and troubled/dangerous place. The first time she encountered The Wheelies they unsettled you because they had a sense of menace about them.
    PC really needed to get that over more. They are back in narnia but it's not the lovely place they left.

It was over a thousand years on, which I think makes your point even more ture.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's the same with LOR. The first film you go wow, Hobbits, Orcs etc. The second one you go oh look Hobbits and Orc. Third film oh look more of those things... meh!I'm still wondering how Reepacheep is going to be different in Narnia 3 now Bill Nighy is voicing him and not Eddie Izzard.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

This statement is wrong on so many levels. Actually no thats your opinion and I respect that.

I thought the Two Towers was amazing on its first release although in hindsight, Fellowship is now my favourite.

As for Narnia, I have'nt seen PC although I did feel scheduling it for a summer release was a big mistake at the time-its a Christmas movie. Voyage is a better story but it is up against part one of the Harry Potter final and could well be lost in the scrum.

Roll on the Hobbit!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    leosw4 wrote: »
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

This statement is wrong on so many levels. Actually no thats your opinion and I respect that.

I thought the Two Towers was amazing on its first release although in hindsight, Fellowship is now my favourite.

As for Narnia, I have'nt seen PC although I did feel scheduling it for a summer release was a big mistake at the time-its a Christmas movie. Voyage is a better story but it is up against part one of the Harry Potter final and could well be lost in the scrum.

Roll on the Hobbit!:D

LOL! :D

I'm not talking about the whole films, just the Hobbits and Orcs.
    It's like anything. The more you see it the more you become familiar with it and the less impressive it becomes.
    The first time you see a Centaur in the narnia films you think wow that's so cool. By the end of the film you've adjusted to seeing it over an hour or so and so that moment has gone. When you see them in the next film it becomes almost an afterthought. Oh there's a Centaur.
    Human nature is to always look for the new and be interested or in awe of it.

One of the best things that happened to the Harry Potter films is as the series progressed they started to get darker. Had they all stayed like the first one people would have lost a lot of interest in them.
    With the PC film it needed to go slightly darker to reflect the time and how Narnia had changed. When the kids are walking through the forest have broken trees where a battle had been at some point. That would straight away turn it from being a lovely walk through a forest to something a bit less pleasant. Even if you don't know what caused or why there was that damage you know it was likely to be something bad.
    It would of also added for the return of King Peter. He has returned to Narnia and now it is time for the darkness to turn back to light. It would be mirroring the events of LWW. Aslan has returned and now good shall prevail.