How do I introduce my cats

flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I already have two 5 year old female cats that I've had since kittens. One is quite bolshy while the other is quite timid although a devil at times.
3 weeks ago I acquired another 5 year old female. She was going to be taken to a rescue centre unless a new owner could be found so I took her in. We've had her living in my daughters bedroom upstairs. She is the most nervous cat and kept running away from her previous owner due to not getting on with the dog they had.
She's settled nicely so far but is yet to meet my other 2 cats. This seems to be taking forever and I'm not sure how best to go about it. I'm afraid my timid cat will run for her life and I'm afraid my bolshy cat will attack the new one. To make matters worse my bolshy cat Fliss was hit by a car a week after the new one arrived. She has a fractured pelvis and is currently on cage rest so although she wouldn't be able to attack the new one, she is already stressed about being a cage and I'm afraid she'll feel like she's been locked up to make way for a new cat.

I've been leaving the bedroom door open upstairs at night so the new cat can have a sneaky wander around, but closing off the living room so she doesn't come face to face with the others. She runs back under the bed at the slightest noise and it makes her very nervous if I'm up there with her and she hears the others meow or something.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I'm going to get them all to mix together peacefully. I'm beginning to think it's never going to happen and I really want to give the new cat a chance and not end up having to put her in a rescue home after all. She's a very sweet cat and has been through a lot so I really want it to work, I just don't know how.

Comments

• GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Patience is key in these situations.
  • ianinclevelandianincleveland Posts: 21,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intriduce her to the timid non caged cat first,remove any food and remove the caged cat leave them on the floor but sit quite close to them,chances are there wont be any problems with two nervous cats,theyll probably ignore each other.

Wait until the caged cat is fully fit before you introduce and then do the same thing.

good luck:)
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    I agree with ianincleveland - timid two first, and as soon as possible.

And possibly use the cage to introduce the new cat to the bolshy one in future. The new cat could also go in the cage if necessary when the bolshy one is fit and released, to permit bolshy to get used to seeing/sniffing it in the same room, while the cage gives the new cat some protection.
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice :)
    I like the idea of the 2 nervous ones meeting first. I think it will be the easiest approach. I'm going to have to take Missy upstairs to the new one because the new one doesn't seem to want to come out of the bedroom. I've been leaving the door open at night and I know she's been in my room but so far I can see no signs of her going downstairs, even though I close the living room door where the other 2 sleep so they don't meet by suprise.
    The vet thinks Fliss will be out of the cage and ready to get back to normal this week. She's doing really well but I'm terrified of the thought of her going out again. Thing is she's just one of those cats who loves outside so it will be impossible to keep her in.
    I think the suggestion of putting the new one in the cage is also a good idea. At least I'll get an idea of how things will go without any fur flying. I'm still feeling like it's never going to work out but my fingers are crossed. I've got lots of patience so I hope it pays of.
    It's been a month already so I'm wondering how much longer I should give it to be fair to all cats.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice is first of all don't be holding either cat when they are introduced, I did that.... a year ago, and I still have claw scars on my leg,
    Make sure there is an escape route so either cat can leave, don't introduce them in a closed room,

It will, or can take a while, don't rush it, you could try putting some of the new cats bedding in the areas where your other cats sleep, and letting him out of the bedroom when the others aren't around is a good idea, they will know there is another cat around by now, and so will the new guy,

I wouldn't advise trying a face to face intro on your own either, if it goes 'pear shaped' it can get very nasty very quickly, have a blanket handy to throw over them if it 'kicks off',
    It just takes time, good luck.
    :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had 9 cats over the years all came at different times, some love death other some hated, the ones that get really upset will never get on accept it.
    I put a series of suitcases and blankets on a table so the cats always had a place to get higher, also clippe dthe claws, just got a 11 week old puppy on Friday and one has had its face licked by the pup the other just stands outsides and gives me 'feline eveils'