Options

Polish Alternative Posters

NickClapperNickClapper Posts: 119
Forum Member
I had the chance to get Polish poster designer Maks Bereski to do some 'alternative poster designs' for my website and I thought I'd share them here.

Poland has a long history of minimalist posters and a lot of cinemas there still choose to design their own posters rather than using the ones that studios force on them.

Here are the ones he's cooked up so far:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two
Captain America
Ghost Rider 2
Cowboys and Aliens
Hanna

The Cowboys & Aliens one is my favourite but I think they're all great!

Comments

• Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they were OK I guess. I didn't get how the Harry Potter one related to the film at all, but maybe I was missing something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    they were OK I guess. I didn't get how the Harry Potter one related to the film at all, but maybe I was missing something.

The Harry Potter one is definitely the most elliptical.

To my eyes the ideas is that it's Snape's tear falling into the pensieve but I guess it might be different things to different people.
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Harry Potter one is definitely the most elliptical.

To my eyes the ideas is that it's Snape's tear falling into the pensieve but I guess it might be different things to different people.

Oh right yeah, that could well be it, I am a book fan rather than the films so it's not a tear so it didn't click with me, but now you said it, it seems obvious :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I like the Ghost Rider and Hanna one best, I think it's a fine line between minimalism and half cooked/unfinished.

I thought you were going to post something like these (Far more in the 'classic' Polish style IMO)

http://www.polishposter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=MP

Some real beauties in there!
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's such a wide variety of Polish posters that are all so quirky. It's a great by-product of having cinemas produce their own posters, although I'm sure globalisation is stamping out that practice.

Maks' posters are definitely minimalist and not hand drawn but they're very classy (or at least to me they are).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New poster released today for Lars von Trier's Melancholia. I think Lars would approve of this stripped down design.

Melancholia Alternative Poster
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One of my favourite ones so far is a retrospective look at Moon.

For people who haven't seen the film it's a wonderful piece and this poster pretty neatly captures its spirit of isolation.

Alternative Poster for Moon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Just came across this thread and i'm glad i did.
    Loving some of these alternate posters, some really brilliant artwork :cool:

Thanks for posting up the links guys, enjoyed looking through them :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Adeel_8_6 wrote: »
    Just came across this thread and i'm glad i did.
    Loving some of these alternate posters, some really brilliant artwork :cool:

Thanks for posting up the links guys, enjoyed looking through them :)

Glad you enjoyed them! There are some amazing alternative posters out there. I've actually found a couple of people through Twitter who are brilliant and, if I can, I'll post their versions here as well some time.

Maks' latest, and possibly best, poster is a reworking of the Transformers franchise with a bit of genuine quality!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Not seen Ghost Rider or Hanna so couldn't comment on them, but I'm not too keen on the HP & Cap America ones. Love the Cowboys & Aliens one though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JPartridge wrote: »
    Not seen Ghost Rider or Hanna so couldn't comment on them, but I'm not too keen on the HP & Cap America ones. Love the Cowboys & Aliens one though.

I agree that some work better than others and I'm not too fond of the HP one myself (like you I think Cowboys and Aliens is the tops).

The latest is a curious one for The Skin I Live In by Pedro Almodovar...
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't really understand that Contagion one, but maybe thats because I haven't seen the film (want to soon though!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JPartridge wrote: »
    I don't really understand that Contagion one, but maybe thats because I haven't seen the film (want to soon though!)

:D Yer, I had to Wikipedia it to understand it. Now that I understand it I think it's really cool.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont see the point in any of these ...
    Whats wrong with the original movie posters ? 100 Times better than these rubbish plain ones :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dont see the point in any of these ...
    Whats wrong with the original movie posters ? 100 Times better than these rubbish plain ones :D

Hmm... I think I have to disagree. There are some modern posters that are very good, don't get me wrong, but a lot of them seem to miss the idea that poster design should be an art form in itself. Drew Struzan's stuff and the Saul Bass style designs are so amazing that it seems a shame that many movies, especially blockbusters, resort to crappy photoshop montages of their star actors.

I think Maks does a really interesting job. Some of it's a little hit and miss and the minimalist style is not to everyone's liking (although Moon director Duncan Jones and Buried director Rodrigo Cortes have both contacted me to express how much they like his designs). If you want to see really interesting modern poster design that might change your mind about the subject then I recommend you check out Olly Moss who has really spearheaded the burgeoning alternative poster scene.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Olly Moss is a good one. He has a section each month in Empire. He recently did a really good one for 'Tower Heist'.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Hmm... I think I have to disagree. There are some modern posters that are very good, don't get me wrong, but a lot of them seem to miss the idea that poster design should be an art form in itself.
    True, but they're also a commercial artform, and the criteria for success - or at least a good part of it - is how well they sell the film and inform the audience. Some of these newer alternative poster designs are fine as pieces of art, but as actual posters for films some fall short with regards to this. Not telling us what sort of film we're in for seems to be a recurring error, perhaps because some of these designs have been made with the audience's prior knowledge in mind. Okay for an old film, but a new one?

I too am sick and tired of lousy 'shop and floating heads, but they're obviously effective in selling the film, which in the mainstream is the key issue. But as you say, they're not all bad. Nice to see some interesting minimalism in some major releases - the US one sheets for The King's Speech and Rise of the Planet of the Apes spring to mind (Caeser's moody gaze a winner here).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True, but they're also a commercial artform, and the criteria for success - or at least a good part of it - is how well they sell the film and inform the audience. Some of these newer alternative poster designs are fine as pieces of art, but as actual posters for films some fall short with regards to this. Not telling us what sort of film we're in for seems to be a recurring error, perhaps because some of these designs have been made with the audience's prior knowledge in mind. Okay for an old film, but a new one?

I too am sick and tired of lousy 'shop and floating heads, but they're obviously effective in selling the film, which in the mainstream is the key issue. But as you say, they're not all bad. Nice to see some interesting minimalism in some major releases - the US one sheets for The King's Speech and Rise of the Planet of the Apes spring to mind (Caeser's moody gaze a winner here).

You're definitely right; first and foremost a poster is there to sell the film.

Still, I don't think it's redundant to make alternative posters that are intended as works of art rather than commercial spreads. Sure, pretty much no one is going to watch Buried on the strength of Maks' poster or Tower Heist on the strength of Olly Moss' but they're still a fascinating way of looking at poster design.

I find it amazingly satisfying when I see a really clever, well designed poster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's Maks' latest offering for Tintin and it's very different from his usual fare. The idea was to take the WETA animated posters and strip them back to their Herge based essentials.

Check out Maks' poster for the new Tintin movie here!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a suspicion that this is the best poster so far and will appeal to all fans of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (and even those who though it was boring and/or confusing)!

An alternative poster for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy! Click, click, click!/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My fav are the Cowboy and Alien one and the Tinker Tailer Solider Spy one.

Trouble today is all the posters do is advertise the people in it, not the actual story, whereas - especially the C&A poster - that really tells you the storyline. Shame though that the film either has to rely on the cast (which sometimes means its not the best of films) or just doesn't have the guts to do something like the above - but the American audience, which is probably the biggest, would hate these type of posters, they want something in your face and something that doesn't require a bit of thinking - just bam! look at me! (not saying every American btw...) and so others have either just gone along with it and have to put up with it or have just got used to the American style. These posters are so refreshing.
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's Maks' latest offering for Tintin and it's very different from his usual fare. The idea was to take the WETA animated posters and strip them back to their Herge based essentials.

Check out Maks' poster for the new Tintin movie here!

No offence to the artist but it just looks exactly like a TinTin book cover. I was expecting something a lot more original than that.
    Don't think there's much skill on display given his other work.