Options

Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A brand new thread for a brand new decade, the 1980's have finally arrived on Top Of The Pops! :cool:

Friday 2nd January 2015 at 9pm on BBC4 kicks off the new year with "Top Of The Pops - The Story Of 1980", to be followed immediately at 10pm by "Top Of The Pops 1980 - Big Hits".

Both shows have a repeat 4 hours later in the early hours of the same evening between 1am and 3am.

Unconfirmed yet, but the first weekly TOTP of the 1980's should be on BBC4 at 7.30pm on Thursday 8th January 2015, with the edition presented by Peter Powell from Thursday 3rd January 1980.

Enjoy! :)

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks RT. :)

Another note for Sky+ users. You may have to re-set your series link. I had to do that last year when it changed from 1978 to 1979. Unless one of the updates during the year have made this unnecessary of course. I am sure far wiser posters than I will know the answer :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks RT. :)

Another note for Sky+ users. You may have to re-set your series link. I had to do that last year when it changed from 1978 to 1979. Unless one of the updates during the year have made this unnecessary of course. I am sure far wiser posters than I will know the answer :)

You're welcome JC. ;-)

So how come I never see you input into the current 1979 thread for the show? I may be wrong but I cannot recall seeing your name crop up in the discussions. :confused:

I don't have Sky so re-setting will not bother me. Just humble Freeview is good enough for my modest tastes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    You're welcome JC. ;-)

So how come I never see you input into the current 1979 thread for the show? I may be wrong but I cannot recall seeing your name crop up in the discussions. :confused:

I don't have Sky so re-setting will not bother me. Just humble Freeview is good enough for my modest tastes!

Oh, I often poke my head around the corner, and have posted a few times as well (may have been on the '78 thread) . :) I enjoy reading the posts - whatever I want to say has generally already been said. I also watch about 3 or 4 eps back to back, so am always behind too. I am not as knowledgeable as the regulars, so I like to sit back and learn from a distance. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I often poke my head around the corner, and have posted a few times as well (may have been on the '78 thread) . :) I enjoy reading the posts - whatever I want to say has generally already been said. I also watch about 3 or 4 eps back to back, so am always behind too. I am not as knowledgeable as the regulars, so I like to sit back and learn from a distance. :cool:
    Don't put yourself down. A lot of us on there probably sound like we know more than we really do. There's always something to say I find. I would never watch them back to back myself, as the enjoyment is that old Thursday night sitting down feeling. I'm quite pleasantly surprised they have decided to go on into 1980 with them. The end of the 70's seemed a neat end point I'd long anticipated, so never got my hopes up much. Very pleasing that someone controlling output at the wonderful BBC4 has got their finger on the pulse regards these re-runs.
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately the Summer of 1980 was the winter of discontent!!!

Loads of Strikes by the Unions and cancelled shows
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Don't put yourself down. A lot of us on there probably sound like we know more than we really do. There's always something to say I find. I would never watch them back to back myself, as the enjoyment is that old Thursday night sitting down feeling. I'm quite pleasantly surprised they have decided to go on into 1980 with them. The end of the 70's seemed a neat end point I'd long anticipated, so never got my hopes up much. Very pleasing that someone controlling output at the wonderful BBC4 has got their finger on the pulse regards these re-runs.

I was pleasantly surprised that they're going to show 1980 as well. :):cool:
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent, I can start getting involved in the discussion now that the repeats have come round to a musical decade I'm interested in.

Will there be many shows taken out of the run because of Yewtree?
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Will there be many shows taken out of the run because of Yewtree?
    10 shows in 1980 featured Savile & DLT (including the Christmas Show), but the key thing which will skew the schedules will be the industrial action which meant 9 shows were cancelled in June & July...
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glad Yewtree didn't put paid to this. The 80's is my era. I have about 2500 7"singles from the eighties and I'm still buying them. I was at college and I was into all the big bands along with quite a few not so big ones too. This was the era of indie music and I think it was Record Mirror published a separate Indie chart.

Great times and it's great that I'll see a lot of the 80s TOTPs again. Now if only they will also show Rock Goes to College, The Oxford Road Show.....
  • Options
    beaky29beaky29 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Hurrah for the start of the '80s!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    44 Shows
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/trivia/presenters/list3.shtml

34 that they could show ??

January 3, 1980 - Peter Powell
    January 10, 1980 - David Jensen
    January 17, 1980 - Simon Bates
    January 24, 1980 - Mike Read
    January 31, 1980 - David Jensen
    February 7, 1980 - Steve Wright (1st Totp)
    February 15, 1980 - Simon Bates
    February 22, 1980 - Peter Powell
    February 28, 1980 - David Jensen
    March 13, 1980 - Steve Wright
    March 20, 1980 - Mike Read
    March 27, 1980 - Peter Powell
    April 3, 1980 - David Jensen
    April 10, 1980 - Simon Bates
    April 24, 1980 - Steve Wright
    May 1, 1980 - Tommy Vance
    May 8, 1980 - Peter Powell
    May 22, 1980 - Mike Read
    May 29, 1980 - David Jensen
    August 7, 1980 - Peter Powell & Elton John
    August 14, 1980 - Roger Daltrey
    August 14, 1980 - Tommy Vance
    August 21, 1980 - Steve Wright & Cliff Richard
    August 28, 1980 - Peter Powell & B.A.Robertson
    September 18, 1980 - Simon Bates
    September 25, 1980 - Russ Abbot & Mike Read
    October 9, 1980 - Peter Powell
    October 16, 1980 - Tommy Vance
    October 30, 1980 - Peter Powell & Colin Berry
    November 13, 1980 - Simon Bates
    November 27, 1980 - Tommy Vance
    December 4, 1980 - Peter Powell
    December 11, 1980 - Richard Skinner
    December 18, 1980 - Simon Bates
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 shows in 1980 featured Savile & DLT (including the Christmas Show), but the key thing which will skew the schedules will be the industrial action which meant 9 shows were cancelled in June & July...

The BBC showed alot of Proms on FOUR in the Summer so they could use that as a reason for the gap ???
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why DJ's such as Andy Peebles & Paul Burnett only ever did a handful of shows.

Seemed to be a nice payday for Jensen, Read, Powell and the Yewtree Two.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    This was the era of indie music and I think it was Record Mirror published a separate Indie chart.

Great times and it's great that I'll see a lot of the 80s TOTPs again. Now if only they will also show Rock Goes to College, The Oxford Road Show.....

Most of the inkies had an independent chart at this time, but Record Mirror was unique because it was the only paper (other than Music Week) to have the official BBC charts as used by TOTP and the Sunday top 40 show, though it also had the most authoritative dance charts too...

And yes, would be great to see The Oxford Road Show again, OGWT too, and Riverside, which in my memory was none-more-80s...
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Tops, I always download on iPlayer, gives me some new tunes every week.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member

There's also still the remote possibility that Cliff could be facing charges which could cause severe havoc to the shows in a year when he had a lot of chart success. Let's hope of course it doesn't come to this.
  • Options
    ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'll start a TOTP 81 thread as it's only 386 days till it dawns :p
    I'm also doing it to annoy Jedikiah as he seems to have it in for '81.:D
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beaky29 wrote: »
    Hurrah for the start of the '80s!

I can only second that lol ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    I wonder why DJ's such as Andy Peebles & Paul Burnett only ever did a handful of shows.

Seemed to be a nice payday for Jensen, Read, Powell and the Yewtree Two.

I wonder what the fee was a show in 1980 wages?
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad the 80s have finally arrived! Soon we'll be seeing big hair, boy george, spandau ballet and balloons flying everywhere haha. Altho in the first half of 1980 there isn't much change and is more like a continuation of the music of 79. Looking forward to seeing Altered Images (the lovely Claire Grogan), Haircut 100, Ultravox and OMD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already hoping we'll be taking about 1984 to 1989 in years to come - my favourite part of the decade 😋
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also still the remote possibility that Cliff could be facing charges which could cause severe havoc to the shows in a year when he had a lot of chart success. Let's hope of course it doesn't come to this.
    Virtually non-existent Chemical. Remember he was never even arrested, never mind anything else. Plus, since that "incident" at one of his homes back in August there has not been another peep, and in the meantime he and his team have gone ahead with a series of sell out shows next October centred around his birthday that month. My mother's going to one of the Albert Hall gigs. Does anyone seriously think that Cliff and his management would organise all that and sell tens of thousands of tickets if they thought for one moment something untoward might get in the way and prevent it in the meantime with all the chaos that would ensue? Not a chance. Look forward to his first hit to kick off the 80's, the very credible top five hit Carrie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    I wonder what the fee was a show in 1980 wages?

All TOTP presenters were paid £150 per show towards the late 80's. 85-89. Not a lot, and as Mike Read once claimed " it was enough to buy a new shirt"

So they never got wardrobe expenses either.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All TOTP presenters were paid £150 per show towards the late 80's. 85-89. Not a lot, and as Mike Read once claimed " it was enough to buy a new shirt"

How do you know this? Just curious.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

A shirt for £150?!? Looking at some of their outfits, I think someone was being cheated.
This discussion has been closed.