'Americans don't get British Humour' - But do British People get American Homour ?

007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've always viewed the statement as a beating stick to say, 'They aren't as clever or as cool as Us'. Which is a bit unfair considering the cultural differences. But overall, do we get their sense of humour?

We consume a lot of their television and general entertainment industry. But do we 'get' their sense of humour or are we just as bad - Does the statement 'British People just don't get American Humour' fit?

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,260
    Forum Member
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I've always viewed the statement as a beating stick to say, 'They're aren't as clever or as cool as Us'. Which is a bit unfair considering the cultural differences. But overall, do we get their sense of humour?

We consume a lot of their television and general entertainment industry. But do we 'get' their sense of humour or are we just as bad - Does the statement 'British People just don't get American Humour' fit?

We have fully embraced all the critically and publicly love comedies they have produced: M*A*S*H, The Simpsons, I Love Lucy, Bewitched, Arrested Development, Seinfeld, Friends, i could go on forever. The same can't be said across the pond. There's a reason shows like QI and Only Connect aren't shown on BBC America, but i'll play nice and stop here.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i get it, i just find a lot of it too obvious to be actually funny.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty confident that I get it, and I'm not just talking about Seinfeld or The Simpsons.
    I go to comedy clubs in the U.S. and I get 99.9% of what the "stand-up" comes out with, unless they're satirising something that has only been in the news for about 30 minutes.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are many funny US comedy shows, but have you ever seen an episode of that God awful 'The Big Bang Theory' with it's laughter track removed? Man, that is dire!
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I get it, and I can find it funny in parts, but yeah it can be too predictable.

I like Big Bang Theory but there are many times where I know where a joke's headed. Someone or something will happen and I know what's coming. I always know when Bernadette is going to use that annoying angry voice that we're meant to think is cute and funny, or when Penny makes a "dumb blonde" comment or something. Family Guy suffers with it, too, and not just predicting when they'll make a cultural reference resulting in a cutaway.

But then you get shows like South Park and Scrubs. Two of my all-time favourite shows. Particularly Scrubs. Both are clever, and South Park's always been great at satire and not entirely predictable.

Not that we don't suffer with predictable humour over here. While watching something like Mock the Week I'll sometimes know where a joke is going and they also sometimes suffer with relying on cultural/popular references for easy laughs. Like someone won't have said anything for a while so decides to say something about Pierce Morgan in order to get a few claps from the audience.

There are people here that don't particularly get/enjoy British humour but enjoy American humour. I know people who don't like things like South Park (not British, but clever) or shows like QI/Would I Lie To You, but love "How I Met Your Mother".
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I get it, and I can find it funny in parts, but yeah it can be too predictable.

I like Big Bang Theory but there are many times where I know where a joke's headed. Someone or something will happen and I know what's coming. I always know when Bernadette is going to use that annoying angry voice that we're meant to think is cute and funny, or when Penny makes a "dumb blonde" comment or something. Family Guy suffers with it, too, and not just predicting when they'll make a cultural reference resulting in a cutaway.

But then you get shows like South Park and Scrubs. Two of my all-time favourite shows. Particularly Scrubs. Both are clever, and South Park's always been great at satire and not entirely predictable.

Not that we don't suffer with predictable humour over here. While watching something like Mock the Week I'll sometimes know where a joke is going and they also sometimes suffer with relying on cultural/popular references for easy laughs. Like someone won't have said anything for a while so decides to say something about Pierce Morgan in order to get a few claps from the audience.

There are people here that don't particularly get/enjoy British humour but enjoy American humour. I know people who don't like things like South Park (not British, but clever) or shows like QI/Would I Lie To You, but love "How I Met Your Mother".

I like QI, don't like Would I Lie To You, love Scrubs, thought that Frasier was the DBs, but now it seems so dated, still get mildly amused by How I Met Your Mother, although I'm not an avid viewer, but who the hell is Pierce Morgan? :D:D
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You only have to look at Friends to see what happens when they think they get irony. OTT.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the use of facial expressions and the playing up to the camera of American humour, Married with Children was a great show if it wasn't for the over enthusiastic audience clapping every line and the actors standing waiting for them to stop whopping.

There is a large amount of smugness in American comedy too which often puts me off it.

The Simpson is probably the closest we have come to a cross over of the humour and probably The Golden Girls managed to mix it up too.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Judging from the yank TV comedies I've seen, I think any problem is on their end rather than ours.

Shows like MASH and, more recently, The Big Bang Theory, demonstrate that yanks can do clever comedy if they want to but I suspect a lot of the TV companies prefer the idea of doing nice, safe, comfortable, low-brow comedy shows in order to avoid any risk of alienating the audience by making them feel like it's "going over their heads".

I guess it's kinda like those daytime TV quiz shows, where the questions are so simple that a 12 year old could probably answer them. Shows like that make the audience feel smart because they can answer at least as many of the questions as the contestants.

When you've got characters like Sheldon making jokes about going to a fancy-dress party as the Doppler Effect, you risk having a percentage of the audience feeling alienated because they don't understand the joke.

Funny thing is, if there is any "comedy snobbery" afoot, it's probably created by the US audiences who do enjoy more cerebral comedy because they will, effectively be suggesting that "if you don't think it's funny it's 'cos you're not smart enough to understand".
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I like some US comedies like Friends and Family guy. They should stick to their own comedy style though and stop trying to rip off our comedies. I sat through the abortion that was their version of The Inbetweeners for example. I think it missed the point of the original on almost every level.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I would say that for a while British comedy was the absolute ruler of the world, the US got its act together and has made some superb stuff over the last twenty years. Even those things i particularly dislike [Friends, Everybody Loves Ray] are well written and well crafted. British humour seems to have stagnated and stuck in this 'must be a sitcom to be successful] mindset, with occasional pearls that are driven by the creativity of one person [Royle Family, Partridge]. To me The Mighty Boosch is appalling, but at least they tried something a little different.

I forgot to add that I found Scrubs almost perfect, managing to pull every human emotion out of you.
    Forum Member
    I watched the first episode of a new US comedy called summat like "Marry Me" last week and that was a pretty good example of all that I don't like about US comedy.

Some of the stuff in it could have been very funny but they insisted on making it all so exaggerated and cliched that it felt like I was being spoon-fed every joke.
    Sometimes, as they say, less is more... but that's when you risk having the less awake members of the audience missing out on the jokes.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are any American comedies funny? I used to watch Friends and never laughed once. Can't stand the "hoo ha" and (fake) roaring audiences of american shows. Brit comedies will always win for me.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Britain we have a darker and more subtle sense of humour that doesn't translate well over there. In the US they very clearly spell it out so people know it's a joke, which a child or monkey could understand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Are any American comedies funny? I used to watch Friends and never laughed once. Can't stand the "hoo ha" and (fake) roaring audiences of american shows. Brit comedies will always win for me.

Never ever got Friends - Jennifer Aniston would pull facial expression with hands on her hips and act wooden and the audience would fall about laughing, Ross would wine in a high pitched voice, Joey would go hey like the Fonz, the blonde one would act dippy and shake her head and laugh and the other two were generally boring.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,041
    Forum Member
    When the US get comedy 'right' for me (Frasier, TBBT, HIMYM). I can see how much effort goes into creating something that can run for years.

Like UK comedy, there are some gems, but an awful lot of dross
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    When the US get comedy 'right' for me (Frasier, TBBT, HIMYM). I can see how much effort goes into creating something that can run for years.

Like UK comedy, there are some gems, but an awful lot of dross

TBBT? HIMYM? please don't talk in acronyms we don't all know what they are supposed to be.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    There are many funny US comedy shows, but have you ever seen an episode of that God awful 'The Big Bang Theory' with it's laughter track removed? Man, that is dire!

I can't manage to watch it with the laughter track because of Kaley Cuoco. She annoys me no end.
    Forum Member
    S'funny, I was okay with Friends but I could never get past the idea that HIMYM was just a knock-off of Friends.

I never really found Friends to be properly funny though.
    To me it was more like a sort of soap opera that was also a bit light-hearted at times.

Another good one that springs to mind is Brooklyn 99 though. Anybody who enjoys stuff like Scrubs will probably like it.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers, Frasier and Scrubs (last season excepted) were the pinnacle of US sitcoms for me.

Friends and How I Met Your Mother had it's moments but that latter did feel like a Friends rip off and was ruined by the ending. Killing off the mother and going back to Ted and Robin? Come on!
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, the days when we could point to a superior comedy intellect than the US are passed. UK comedy has stagnated over the past couple of decades, and is now as bad as it's ever been. There is a dearth of truly inspired, inventive writers prepared to take risks, and BBC comedy - once the driving force - is shamefully bad.

My problem with US comedy, particularly those with audiences/tracks, is American's habit of exaggerated reactions. It's in the blood - every emotion is over-done, and that includes hysterics at the most mundane and corny joke. I shudder to think what The Simpsons would sound like with a laughter track.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference I see between US and UK humour is that the US has 3 part jokes - the setup, the punchline, and then something to let you know that was the punchline. UK humour has 2 parts - the setup and the punchline. We don't need the 3rd part, so we in the UK will get the US joke at the punchline, but the US won't get our jokes as much because they need the 3rd part. I'm generalising of course, but look out for the 3 part jokes in most US sitcoms and they're usually there. Not all US humour is like this though, some of their stand-up is the best in the world, every bit as good as UK standups.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    Sadly, the days when we could point to a superior comedy intellect than the US are passed. UK comedy has stagnated over the past couple of decades, and is now as bad as it's ever been. There is a dearth of truly inspired, inventive writers prepared to take risks, and BBC comedy - once the driving force - is shamefully bad.

My problem with US comedy, particularly those with audiences/tracks, is American's habit of exaggerated reactions. It's in the blood - every emotion is over-done, and that includes hysterics at the most mundane and corny joke. I shudder to think what The Simpsons would sound like with a laughter track.

I disagree. I think the last 20 years have been great for UK comedy. Things like Peep Show, The Inbetweeners, The IT Crowd, Brass Eye, The Office, Extras, Coupling, I even liked The Mighty Boosh when it was first on, especially series 2. Panel shows like Mock The Week, 8 out of 10 Cats, Never Mind The Buzzcocks. Charlie Brooker's screenwipe etc...

Granted, the past few years have been a little bit slow. A lot of great series have come to an end, we've done the panel show thing to death, and there doesn't seem to be any brilliant comedies waiting to take over. I'm hoping there's another great series just around the corner though.
  • himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i get it, i just find a lot of it too obvious to be actually funny.

I agree.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I don't get the use of facial expressions and the playing up to the camera of American humour, Married with Children was a great show if it wasn't for the over enthusiastic audience clapping every line and the actors standing waiting for them to stop whopping.

There is a large amount of smugness in American comedy too which often puts me off it.

The Simpson is probably the closest we have come to a cross over of the humour and probably The Golden Girls managed to mix it up too.
    Agree with your post, re the smugness and the playing up to the camera. I think on the whole, american comedies are never going to be as good as traditional british humour, although there have been some great american comedies over the years, like The Golden Girls or Roseanne which I absolutely loved and could still watch today, but not so much the sort of comedies that are shown on E4. I can't recall the names of the shows, just that I hate them with a passion!