(Least) Favourite Doctor

Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
Forum Member
✭✭
Everyone who's played the Doctor has been good. Some, like Tom Baker, are more iconic than others, but favourites always vary from person to person. So I was curious what the polar extremes were for people. Who's A Doctor, and who's The Doctor (the definite article).

Favourite: Paul McGann. For a while my favourite was just whoever was next in the role. But that changed during the 50th when I was introduced to the Eighth Doctor audio universe.

I really like the Edwardian Adventurer demeanour he has going on. He has boundless enthusiasm, but it's underlined by a sense of melancholy. He's really a great bridge between the classic and current era of the show.

Least Favourite: Peter Davison. I dunno what it is, but he just doesn't click with me like like the others do.

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Least favourite: McCoy. I hate that era of the programme.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easiest question I've had to answer for some time, least favourite = McCoy, worst actor ever to take on the role and his tenure was a complete disaster IMO.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvester McCoy by a million miles.

Lovely bloke, terrible Doctor. Not entirely his fault, the whole era was awful.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, there's a lot of agreement about McCoy at the moment. Although I agree his Doctor is the weakest, I don't dislike his Doctor or his era. It's like the weakest player on your team, he's still on your team and you love him for doing his best with what he's given.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I'm the same about McCoy! But that was the BBC's doing - not HIS!! No decent budget, stupid stories (most anyway), and ridiculous timings in the schedules!
    The BBC simply wanted an excuse to get rid of it!

Aside from that, my least favourite Doctor was Jon Pertwee I hate to say! Simply because of the Earth-bound stories and lack of the use of the Tardis for three years. It improved in the last two years though!
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classic era Colin baker, new era peter capaldi.
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Baker was always my favourite by miles, but I love Capaldi as much now too.

Matt Smith is absolutely my least favourite, nothing about his take on the Doctor worked for me at all. I just couldn't watch the show when he was in it, I found him so irritating.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favorite Doctor is always the current one. It
    took a litlittle while to warm to Peter Capaldi but I'm there now and I really like the relationship between his Doctor and Clara.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Must admit - Matt Smith got on my wick a lot!! All that prancing around and using that bloody Sonic Screwdriver for EVERYTHING!! But I warmed to him in Day and Time of the Doctor! Took three years though! (didn't like Amy either!)
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a horrible question but I guess I'll answer any way:)

Least favourite the War Doctor (if he counts) the whole concept was nonsense and probably wouldn't have happened if they had got Chris on board.

The McCoy criticisms is a bit harsh though,especially saying he was the worst actor,in fact he was probably the most accomplished actor to take the role at that point,not his fault that the BBC had basically given up at that point and the scripts and more so the production was pathetic then,
    His audio stuff is excellent
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like 'em all, and that definitely includes Sylvester. Kind of by default, it's McGann for me on my geek list (haven't explored the audios; really should some time) due to so little airtime, followed by Colin, Christopher and Jon. But it's just that I like the others more rather than any antipathy towards them.

Still Matt top of the tree for me at present...
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked colin bakers doctor although I do like colin. I didn't like him trying to throttle peri in the twin dilemma or his snearing I am the doctor whether you like it or not. He was just the complete opposite of the likeable peter davison who was very popular at the time. I have similar feelings about capaldi with his doctors cowardly behaviour in deep breath and his aloofness in into the dalek again the complete opposite to matt smith who was so likeable as the doctor.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly I would have to say the War Doctor.

Fine with the concept and the portrayal (I mean, it's John Hurt), but it's still not an incarnation I particularly think about when I think of The Doctor... and as I'll often find the incumbent being a favorite (even including rewatches!), he really didn't get that chance - only appearing in a multi-Doctor story.

Would have made more of an impact if we saw anything of what we were told about him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    David Tennant.I don't like his style of acting at all.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Peter Capaldi's Doctor.

Great actor, but Moffat has taken the whole "mad man in a box" theme way too far that it's just silly.

Matt Smith is the strongest I think. Again the MMIAB theme was sometimes too much, but he was definitely a delight to watch.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Six and Eleven are my two top Doctor's.

The First Doctor is my least favourite. Which isn't to say I think he's bad in the role, not at all. But for me, there's just no 'hook' with him, nothing that's ever made me want to watch any of his stories again (outside of the first episode). Indeed, Hartnell's Doctor is the one Doctor that's absent from my DVD collection, simply cos I know that they'd never get watched, even if I did own any of 'em.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they all bring something different to the role. CE had northern grit, ,DT had charm MS had the zany geek thing going on. PC has gravitas he reminds me bit of my dad who is only 2 months older. Every doctor will have the odd bad moment bad episode but if they get a good story they make it come to life.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McCoy by a long, long chalk. I loathed his gurning, the stories, the production values, the writing, the worst companion in the show's history (Ace) - well, until Amy came along... I loathed the whole era. The nadir of Classic Who.

Favourite is Jon Pertwee by an equally long chalk. My favourite era. Season 7 - his first - has never been bettered in my opinion.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Least favourite: Peter Capaldi. I have stopped watching Doctor Who.

Most favourite: William Hartnell currently, but that tends to change dependent on what I have been watching and how I am feeling.
  • RozesRozes Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    McCoy by a clear distance. He did not have the presence that all the others had to a certain degree. His voice also got on my nerves His stories and era wasn't the best either!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'm less familiar with many of the Classic Doctor's (or their stories at least) so sticking to the new era, my least favourite would have to be either the War Doctor or the Tenth Doctor.

The War Doctor, though well acted (John Hurt, who'd have guessed it'd be anything other than well-acted), was a load of contrived nonsense.

The Tenth Doctor was pure and simply dull. His companions were fascinating, his adventures were fascinating... but leave him alone without a consistent companion and everything went downhill. I feel that's partly why the Specials year that Tennant ended on didn't work out very well, why the Christmas specials were so heavily criticised (except The Christmas Invasion...which was both his debut and featured a regular companion, and The Runaway Bride has developed more fans since Donna came on long-term). There was just so little about him that made him "The Doctor" rather than a man who happened to have a TARDIS... he didn't seem remotely alien, but rather simply smarter than everyone else, more patronising quite often, and had a holier-than-thou attitude a little too much. This isn't a slight on Tennant necessarily, though it was always awkwardly embarassing whenever he was trying to play 'angry Doctor'... that just didn't work for me.
  • brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker. I started off watching Jon Pertwee (who I also love) but Tom really was my Doctor. No-one's come close to matching him since, although I have to say that Peter Capaldi is easily the best Doctor since the 2005 return (and since Tom himself, in fact). He's the only one to have that magical, alien quality that Tom had. If I were a kid watching Who today (as opposed to a cynical middle-aged grouch), I'm sure he'd have me spellbound in the same way Tom Baker did back in the 1970s. And he's certainly restored this cynical middle-aged grouch's faith in what had been a programme hurtling into unwatchability. While I think the stories have actually improved of late, there are still quite a few duffers. The thing is, I can sit through even the duffest of duffers (In the Forest of the Night) because Peter's performance is so magnetic.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favourite: Paul McGann. For a while my favourite was just whoever was next in the role. But that changed during the 50th when I was introduced to the Eighth Doctor audio universe.

I really like the Edwardian Adventurer demeanour he has going on. He has boundless enthusiasm, but it's underlined by a sense of melancholy. He's really a great bridge between the classic and current era of the show.

I was pretty much the same with McGann,I hadn't thought about him as the Doctor at all after Nu Who started,but after hearing one of his audios I was hooked,I even got into the comic strips and some of the novels.(Apparently he read some of them as well to see where his Doctor might have gone)
    Just something right about him as the Doctor and it was great when Moff threw us 8 fans a bone for the 50th
  • .:Tom:..:Tom:. Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    7 is actually my favourite. One of the most cerebral doctors with much more to give than what we saw, I think McCoy was growing into the role well. A few reasons why:

The Curse of Fenric chess game and the manipulation of Ace over the course of that serial (same for Ghost Light)
    When he said Ace meant nothing to him
    The way he talked the Daleks into their own destruction
    Causing the alien in Ghost Light to disintegrate when the Doctor convinces him that evolutionary change is inevitable

I also liked Ace as a companion, he idealism and gung-ho approach a total contrast from the seventh doctor. Of course, there were some absolute stinkers in McCoy's era but nothing I think that was his or the seventh Doctor's fault. Its clear that the character was far more suited to the stories on the later episodes than the slapstick earlier episodes. Plus his version of the Pandorica speech was better than Matt Smith's attempt. http://youtu.be/TqqRUh69L8A?t=4m57s

My least favourite doctor if I had to pick one would be Matt Smith. Too often swinging wildly from manic to sentimental - always trying too hard to be quirky (bow ties are cool!). While I appreciate the show has a broad audience, I thought the tone was just too childish and not for me but still there were some standout moments and overall and he still did a good job. There's no doctor I dislike. Preferring Capaldi as doctor a lot more.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brouhaha wrote: »
    The thing is, I can sit through even the duffest of duffers (In the Forest of the Night) because Peter's performance is so magnetic.

For all of it's many flaws, Forest had some of Peter's enthused best bits :)
    "A glass of coke is only this big... but it's actually got THIS much sugar in it!"
    "It's brewing up a solar wind big enough to blow this whole planet away! I assume your teachers have mentioned this..."
    "It would be slightly awkward if the world was destroyed at this point."
    "Aaahhhhhh!"