Gary Glitter - Guilty

GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,967
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just broke on the BEEB.
The 70-year-old former singer - real name Paul Gadd - was convicted of attempted rape, four counts of indecent assault and one of sexual intercourse with a girl under the age of 13.

Gadd, who denied all charges, was acquitted of three other counts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31153633

Comments

• Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope this will keep him off the streets for quite some time.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now there's a surprise.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    Now there's a surprise.

Not! He's always given me the heebie jeebies with that horrible, manic expression on his face, yuk.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not! He's always given me the heebie jeebies with that horrible, manic expression on his face, yuk.

Well, exactly...was my point.

At least that's him off the streets and slopping out for awhile then. One less fiddling freddie to worry about. Plenty of other lecherous g1ts to take his place, sadly. :(
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And now an 85 yr old is being questioned by Yewtree too. Wonder if that's another celeb.

Glitter is facing a life sentance so hopefully will never leave prison.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like justice has finally caught up with him.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my gast is flabbered... who'd have thunked it... and he always seemed such a decent man!
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    according to twitter it's rolf who's been arrested again by yewtree over more allegations. He's in prison in staffordshire.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    according to twitter it's rolf who's been arrested again by yewtree over more allegations. He's in prison in staffordshire.

It's breaking on the beeb too.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ISIS has knocked Yewtree off the radar for a while. I can't say I like either subject.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I just hope the punishment reflects the crime.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. I hope he rots in there.

I always knew the was something bad about him and remember my late MIL saying how wonderful he was but I just felt he was creepy.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    And now an 85 yr old is being questioned by Yewtree too. Wonder if that's another celeb.

Glitter is facing a life sentance so hopefully will never leave prison.

That's Rolf again.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

I do not condone what was done. However, I do not understand the behaviour of the mothers of the victims. And where are the mothers now? Why did they not give evidence.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Whether you hate Glitter or not,I feel the same about all these very old situations .I just don't see how can there be any 100% genuine evidence for these things that possibly happened decades ago?
  • nerdgirlfromthek83nerdgirlfromthek83 Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought people already knew he was a pedo? Didn't something happen somewhere in a different country?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought people already knew he was a pedo? Didn't something happen somewhere in a different country?

Yeah, he got convicted of having sex with underage lasses in Vietnam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Glitter#Vietnam
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    I do not condone what was done. However, I do not understand the behaviour of the mothers of the victims. And where are the mothers now? Why did they not give evidence.
    mickmars wrote: »
    Whether you hate Glitter or not,I feel the same about all these very old situations .I just don't see how can there be any 100% genuine evidence for these things that possibly happened decades ago?

Agreed.

And, with publicity in the media about previous convictions, I cannot believe that any jury would not have been prejudiced against him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Surely with no actual proof against him,this should have never gone to court? There's no way to know if these girls are lying to sell stories to the paper.its one persons word against another.how can the jury be sure beyond reasonable doubt without evidence?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Agreed.

And, with publicity in the media about previous convictions, I cannot believe that any jury would not have been prejudiced against him.

That's one of the biggest flaws with human juries. A lot of people can't seem to focus only on the facts, but instead, they let their emotions get the better of them. If Gadd truly is guilty of what he's been convicted of, great. The perfect jury would be a group of people who just focused on the facts and ignored any emotions that they might feel towards the accused.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely with no actual proof against him,this should have never gone to court? There's no way to know if these girls are lying to sell stories to the paper.its one persons word against another.how can the jury be sure beyond reasonable doubt without evidence?

There might have been records of his movements back when he was supposed to have had illegal sex with them lasses. The records might show that he was with the underage lasses in a room. Of course, that's not absolute proof that he had sex with them though. I am wondering what convinced the jury that he did have sex with them.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    That's one of the biggest flaws with human juries. A lot of people can't seem to focus only on the facts, but instead, they let their emotions get the better of them. If Gadd truly is guilty of what he's been convicted of, great. The perfect jury would be a group of people who just focused on the facts and ignored any emotions that they might feel towards the accused.
    There should be psychometric screening of jurors to weed out the ones who can't assess evidence properly.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,688
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    That's Rolf again.

Really? :o:( What actual evidence was there against Rolf? As for GG, I thought he was convicted of being a paedo when he was in Vietnam.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So if you yourself were abused as a little boy, and you only found the courage to come forward to the police now, would you not want them to do anything ?

As you say, there would be no evidence so how could a court be sure beyond reasonable doubt.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »

Well luckily you're not on the jury.