My lovely cat died

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
Forum Member
✭✭
My lovely cat Cossie was killed on the road yesterday.

I lived all my childhood with pets in a big city and never lost one to the roads, but since moving to the country I've lost two. And it wasn't even at night as I always kept him in at night.

I'm not getting any more cats now. Just got one young cat left, no more :( .

RIP Cossie xxx

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    Oh I am so, so sorry for your loss. You must be so upset. My thoughts are with you and RIP lovely Cossie. xx
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear that OP - that's so sad.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I am so sorry. One or two of my cats have been run over (when we lived in London) so I know how you feel:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sorry for your loss, this happened to me over the summer, and it's a terrible feeling. Hope you are OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ((((hug))))))) I am so sorry to hear that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (((Hugs))) to you OP its so sad when it happens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much for the kind replies. I am at least grateful that we got him back and he's now buried in the garden. We are all so sad though... how do you console 4 distraught kids? :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Really sorry to hear that, I can empathise with you as recently lost my cat after 18years. It is very hard for all family members. I didn't think that I would be ready for another cat yet (after nearly 3 months) but after a visit to the local cat shelter and a lot of asking from young son, we are picking 2 rescue cats up this week ! Hope you are all feeling better soon .
  • Sir Jeremy IIISir Jeremy III Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    I lost my first cat on the roads. I was walking to school in the morning and there he was. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I am so sorry you have lost your cat. Many years ago I lost two cats on a road near my house, the vet I had at the time suggested to me that having two house cats may be the answer he told me he didn't mind indoor cats as long as the owner made the consious decision to orientate themselves around the cats.
    My first house cats lived 11 years ( kidneys failed) and 18 years and my current two girls are 17 years old. It does make such a difference in having the cats longer as you really get to know them.

piper
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks again.
    I only recently started to let my younger cat out as so many people were telling me I was being mean to keep her in for so long (she's 10 mths old) . I am now seriously considering making her a house cat although she adores to be outside. It's so hard.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again.
    I only recently started to let my younger cat out as so many people were telling me I was being mean to keep her in for so long (she's 10 mths old) . I am now seriously considering making her a house cat although she adores to be outside. It's so hard.

People annoy me when they say it's mean. It's more mean to let them go out when you know there are problems with cats being knocked down in the area. I don't think some people engage their brains before they speak.
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,103
    Forum Member
    thinking of you x
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My sympathies for your loss. The little mites give more to us than they'll ever know.:(
  • phonex1976phonex1976 Posts: 6,412
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry about your cat. He'll be at rest now.
  • phonex1976phonex1976 Posts: 6,412
    Forum Member
    http://codybateman.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/cat-heaven.jpg
    With Angels They Play

They haven't really been taken away.
    They have only gone with the Angels to play.
    They have been given wings with which to fly.
    All their troubles have passed them by.

Their life in heaven now must start.
    But we'll hold their memory in our hearts.
    Nothing about them will be forgotten.
    But now they sleep on billowy clouds of cotton.

— Author Unknown
    :)
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so sorry to hear your sad news, my thoughts are with you x
  • rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my cat a few weeks ago, it's heartbreaking but at the back of my mind, because he was old, I knew he was living his last days. Sadly you didn't have that luxury - how awful to lose your cat through being knocked over :( How old was he?

Hope you're OK
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sulriss wrote: »
    People annoy me when they say it's mean. It's more mean to let them go out when you know there are problems with cats being knocked down in the area. I don't think some people engage their brains before they speak.

A cat is an outdoor animal. People shouldn't really get a cat unless it has access at least to a back garden.
    PS. Really sympathise with the OP.
  • stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved pet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks again, the poem was lovely. My Cossie was going to be 5 on Halloween :( . It's no age. I'm just not used to losing my pets so young. All my animals lived to a ripe old age when I was younger.

I briefly let my kitty out earlier, then paranoia set in and I retrieved her off the fence before she could jump the other side. I don't know what to do for the best anymore.
  • jenailsajenailsa Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear your sad news. Our pets are such a big part of our lives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again, the poem was lovely. My Cossie was going to be 5 on Halloween :( . It's no age. I'm just not used to losing my pets so young. All my animals lived to a ripe old age when I was younger.

I briefly let my kitty out earlier, then paranoia set in and I retrieved her off the fence before she could jump the other side. I don't know what to do for the best anymore.

I have 5 cats myself, 2 of which have had nasty run ins with cars. Me and the O/H thought about trying to keep them in but at the end of the day they are not really pets. More animals that pop in every now and again for food and to use your fav jumper as a bed. :) Which is why I love cats so much. That semi wild side to them. They facinate me.

I am not a big fan of people who keep cats solely in the house. They need their freedom. To be able to utilise their natural instincts.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    As a cat owner, I'm passionate about keeping cats indoors. If you get a cat when it's a kitten it won't know the outside world so it will adapt quite easily to being indoors. I know people think cats should go outside, they love to wander about but think of all the cats that died because of cars. If you want your cat to wander near roads then you have to accept the very real possibility it will be killed. Is it acceptable to let your cat wander about near cars and other vehicles? I don't think so. A cat killed by a car is a tragic waste of a life.
    I am not a big fan of people who keep cats solely in the house. They need their freedom. To be able to utilise their natural instincts.

If that is your opinion, fair enough, but you have to accept you're putting your cats at huge risk each time they wander about near roads.

Consider this...

In the 20th century it was deemed acceptable to smoke. It was seen as cool. In the 21st century smoking is deemed as unacceptable, we all know the health risks and you can't smoke in public places. People's morality can change and there's no reason why in the near future the vast majority of cat owners accept that cats should be indoor animals, not outdoor ones. Cats existed before cars, they're meant to wander about but we created cars and other vehicles and we have to accept the two don't mix.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read you post thoroughly. I so badly want to pick holes in your arguement. But this thread belongs to someone who has lost their cat. Therefore it would be highly inappropriate to do so.