Options

scratching at carpet.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 715
Forum Member
✭✭
Our cat sushi has started clawing at the hall carpet outside living room door if she wants to come in. She used to just 'knock' at the door but over the summer when we were on holiday she developed this habit when our son was looking after her and probably didnt react as quickly to her demands. This is having a rather bad effect on the carpet over time.:eek: Any helpful suggestions? She also uses the corner of our sofas as a scaratching post despite having one in the kitchen. Any advice welcome. :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put plastic carpet runner under the door to at least two foot beyond it.
    This can protect the carpet and is less appealing for scratching at as the cat doesn't get the satisfaction of getting its claws into it but it may just transfer to scratching elsewhere.
    Likewise cover the corners of the sofa with throws.
    The texture of the targeted areas attracts them and once they scratch the scent from scent glands between their toes, plus the visual cue of the clawed area attracts them back so cleaning with a biological washing liquid solution to remove the cat's scent can also help
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Once they start, it is hard to stop them because as Tass says they respond to the visual and scent clues. Spraying Feliway on the door surround/skirting boards may help, in addition to Tass's good suggestions.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    All my cats have done it. I just have tatty carpet. I worry when I will have to at some point get posh carpet. Maybe I will just get bare boards?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All good suggestions but also Pets at Home sell small mats that have rubber grippers underneath & a sisal patch on top. Put the mat on top of the area of carpet you want to protect & your cat will probably use the sisal patch instead. I've got one at the top of the stairs which is used regularly by both cats.

If your cat is clawing at sofas, chairs etc try putting the scratching post in front of the scratched furniture (as well as protecting the furniture with throws etc). Cats like to scratch in prominent places so a scratching post tucked away in a corner or behind a door probably won't be used! Once they are using the scratching post regularly then you can gradually move it (inch by inch) to a more convenient place.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    wilhemina wrote: »
    All good suggestions but also Pets at Home sell small mats that have rubber grippers underneath & a sisal patch on top. Put the mat on top of the area of carpet you want to protect & your cat will probably use the sisal patch instead. I've got one at the top of the stairs which is used regularly by both cats.

If your cat is clawing at sofas, chairs etc try putting the scratching post in front of the scratched furniture (as well as protecting the furniture with throws etc). Cats like to scratch in prominent places so a scratching post tucked away in a corner or behind a door probably won't be used! Once they are using the scratching post regularly then you can gradually move it (inch by inch) to a more convenient place.

My Impossible Princess uses her scratching post and her fence in the garden but still does my sofa (lucky it is ancient) and the carpet when she wants to get out or in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We used to have carpets in some rooms and the cats loved to scratch them - always by the doorways. We now have bare board and rugs - they never scratch the rugs. They don't scratch any of the furniture either, they use their scratching post which is a good tall one with a sleeping station at the top.

wilhemina, re the PAH sisal thingy... does that not tell the cat that it is fine to scratch at carpet in general, i.e. encourage rather than discourage them? I would worry they would not confine their attention to the sisal mat!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    Once they start, it is hard to stop them because as Tass says they respond to the visual and scent clues. Spraying Feliway on the door surround/skirting boards may help, in addition to Tass's good suggestions.

What is Feliway? I think I read once that certain scents would deter cats but cant remember which. Maybe eucalyptus or something like that but I'd like her to scratch on the door again like she used to. If I put a particular scent on the carpet then she might not come near the door at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopin wrote: »
    What is Feliway? I think I read once that certain scents would deter cats but cant remember which. Maybe eucalyptus or something like that but I'd like her to scratch on the door again like she used to. If I put a particular scent on the carpet then she might not come near the door at all.

It's a synthetic feline facial pheromone, (similar to the one cats place on things when they head rub when they are comfortable with something/someone), which is supposed to make cats feel more relaxed and less anxious so unlike citrus or eucalyptus etc it shouldn't be aversive, although I have known it futher upset some cats if they are already having intercat anxiety issues as, not being their own signature scent, it can be like a virtual (scent) cat , albeit a relaxed one, within their house.
    For cats that like it catnip can work in a similar way, without any intercat challenge, which is why catnip can be used to encourage cats to come to and use their scratch post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To add to what Tass said - Feliway is available as a spray or a plug in from the vet. It is supposed to having a calming influence on cats, making them chilled out and less likely to inflict negative behaviours on you and your household. I have found it quite effective in various circumstances.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had 4 settes in 4 years with my cats. Guinness who is huge just attecked on this one we have now isnt too bad. they have there own bed sette too sleep on which they dont touch at all. They do have a scratching post i have had 3 and they use that. Some cats are attracted to the fabric of it as well. Never tried feliway plugs but they do sell them in Pets at home as well. My brother has but his stopped working after about 2 wks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    We used to have carpets in some rooms and the cats loved to scratch them - always by the doorways. We now have bare board and rugs - they never scratch the rugs. They don't scratch any of the furniture either, they use their scratching post which is a good tall one with a sleeping station at the top.

wilhemina, re the PAH sisal thingy... does that not tell the cat that it is fine to scratch at carpet in general, i.e. encourage rather than discourage them? I would worry they would not confine their attention to the sisal mat!

All cats scratch & to try to stop them from scratching the carpet will be very difficult unless you can either be with them 24 hours a day or can confine them to an area without carpet when you are not there. If a cat is determined to scratch at a particular piece of carpet, any deterrent in the form of water sprays, telling off, citrus smells etc, are only likely to lead to the cat scratching when you are not around or transferring the scratching to a nearby piece of carpet.

Personally I think it is better to try to compromise by providing an acceptable scratching medium in the area that the cat feels the need to leave its scent marks. Sisal provides a great scratching place & most cats like it because it gets "roughed up" easily so provides the visual marker which is a large part of the cat's motivation for scratching. If the cat gets used to scratching on sisal (rather than carpet) you can then move the sisal matting to a more convenient place (gradually, like with a scratching post) & it is very likely that the cat will continue to use the sisal matting because of the texture & shreddable surface, rather than going back to the carpet. In any case, once a cat is regularly scratching on a post or sisal matting, its scent will be very strong on the post/matting so the motivation will be to keep topping up the scent on the post/matting rather than going back to the carpet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True, they do love sisal (as per the scratch posts) so small mat idea is definitely worth a try. I was considering seagrass type flooring a few years ago and my carpet fitter - who had cats himself - told me to forget it because the cats would regard think Christmas had come - they would see it as a giant scratching mat!

The problem is worse if that cats don't go outside at all because they have to do all their scratching indoors - mine love to scratch trees, fencing, etc outdoors.