Options

Cat doing toilet in house!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My 7 year old Ginger moggy has just recently taken to doing poo's in the house.

He is a bit of a fat lazy ginger cat (think Garfield and that's my Mackintosh :D ) and doesn't go out a lot but has always, always let us know when he needs the toilet.

I woke up last week in my bed to an awful smell only to discovered that he'd poo'd on my housecoat (it was lying in a heap on floor) and the other day found he'd poo'd on a heap of freshly washed clothes that had been put on top of the bed in my spare room.

It's totally out of character and wondered if anyone had any advice/experiences?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I'd take him to the vet to make sure there isn't some underlying problem as it seems out of character.

But it could be that there is a new challenge outside - e.g. a new cat that is intimidating him, a dog next door, builders nearby, etc, meaning he is reluctant to poo outdoors now. If that's the case, a litter tray should solve the problem.

btw I think the reason he's choosing your clothes to do it on is because he's adding his scent to yours (nice). That does make it sound like he is a feeling insecure for some reason.

You need to nip it in the bud asap or it will start to become an ingrained habit and impossible to shift. I'd provide a litter tray asap - in a position where he doesn't feel vulnerable, so preferably not by the door.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good advice from Lippincote but to add to it also avoid positioning his litter tray near his bed, food or water. If he has a cat flap also avoid placing it near there, but as Lippincote says get him checked by your vet to be sure it's behavioural and not medical.