Options

Alba & Freeview

darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm astonished that BBC Radio Scotland and Radio 2 are (among others) only to be available on Freeview in Scoltand at certain times, yet the waste of electricity that is Radio 1 'Xtra' is to be a permanent fixture.
Who on earth at the beeb is so far detatched from reality that they imagine that a diet of grunts, sharts, and percussive garbage is in any way required 24/7 in Scotland ? I would have thought that the '1Xtra' audience fugures would speak for themselves.
Have I missed something, or is there a huge demand for such trash in Scotland ?

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2011/05/bbc-radio-to-stay-in-scotland/

Comments

• Options
    PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    I'm astonished that BBC Radio Scotland and Radio 2 are (among others) only to be available on Freeview in Scoltand a t certain times, yet the waste of electricity that is Radio 1 'Xtra' is to be a permanent fixture.
    Who on earth at the beeb is so far detatched from reality that they imagine that a diet of grunts, sharts, and percussive garbage is in any way required 24/7 in Scotland ? I would have thought that the '1Xtra' audience fugures would speak for themselves.
    Have I missed something, or is there a huge demand for such trash in Scotland ?

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2011/05/bbc-radio-to-stay-in-scotland/

Could be a ploy by the BBC to get people buying a DAB radio? Get Alex Salmond on the case, he'll sort them out! ;)
  • Options
    MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's more to do with the fact that it isn't on FM. Though why it was chosen rather than R4X oslt is beyond me...
  • Options
    VectorsumVectorsum Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    I'm astonished that BBC Radio Scotland and Radio 2 are (among others) only to be available on Freeview in Scoltand at certain times, yet the waste of electricity that is Radio 1 'Xtra' is to be a permanent fixture.

Yep, Radio Scotland not available in the evening here in Scotland's DAB 'Neverland'. Genius.

In a brilliant piece of 'pre-emptive retaliation', you have to admire the chutzpah of whoever it was in Beeb Scotland that decided that the recent FM extension up the uncovered parts of the A9 would carry Radio Scotland only, and omit the nationals... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Deleted.

Wrong thread!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vectorsum wrote: »
    Yep, Radio Scotland not available in the evening here in Scotland's DAB 'Neverland'. Genius.

In a brilliant piece of 'pre-emptive retaliation', you have to admire the chutzpah of whoever it was in Beeb Scotland that decided that the recent FM extension up the uncovered parts of the A9 would carry Radio Scotland only, and omit the nationals... :)

Presumably funded by Radio Scotland or even a grant from the Edinburgh government.

I was wondering if they have updated the RDS at all the other sites, my radio seemed slow to switch to Crubenmore going across from Spean Bridge.
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect that Radio Scotland & R nan Gaidheal will replace R1X with its 24 hour Scottish Freeview carriage within the first year. :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a good thread over on The Register about it. Typically, it takes only a few posts to descend into the usual "why do we need this Gaelic **** anyway".

If the Beeb wanted to find even more bandwidth for the controversially deleted radio channels, is there any technical reason why it couldn't make all of its TV channels broadcast in Scotland VBR? Recoding would be required of course, but if memory serves correctly at least Beeb 1 and 2 are at a luxuriously high CBR.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I gather that the justification is that a survey revealed that the majority of the radio stations people could access on FM radio anyway. However an issue with this lies with BBC Radio Scotland's mid-week evening out-put.

Typically:
    FM: "Get It On, with Bryan Burnett"
    MW & Digital: "Sportsound"

By moving out Radio Scotland it means that the only way to access the live football commentaries would be to access MW and I personally don't know how accessible MW is compared to FM (FM is available on phones etc). Unless of course they put football on FM if they felt they needed to access more people.

It's an unfortunate situation, I welcome BBC Alba because it seems strange to have a part BBC funded station available only on Sky when the majority of TV viewers have freeview. Solving the radio station situation is difficult I don't know the ins-and-outs of channel sharing/frequencies etc but it seems strange to me to remove the national radio station for the region that the TV channel is aimed at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conundrums, conundrums..... but as has been pointed out here and elsewhere the main issue is availability after the evening programming split. Any mass survey is never going to capture the opinions of the Gaelic fringe, to whom the main disbenefit in terms of poor medium wave coverage accrues when trying to get the evening footy.

An obvious and completely acceptable solution would be to have a Redmoss-type 2 to 5 kW MF TX for R Scotland and R5L somewhere in the Inner or Outer Hebrides but, of course, this is never going to happen on obsolescence grounds.

For all that, I'm in favour of BBC Alba on Freeview, as it is a valuable resource for Gaelic learners like me and is unfairly 'dissed' by those who misunderstand its mission.
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vectorsum wrote: »
    If the Beeb wanted to find even more bandwidth for the controversially deleted radio channels, is there any technical reason why it couldn't make all of its TV channels broadcast in Scotland VBR? Recoding would be required of course, but if memory serves correctly at least Beeb 1 and 2 are at a luxuriously high CBR.

The SD BBC Freeview mux is already VBR with its 7 video streams (8 with Alba) all statistically multiplexed together.
  • Options
    radiomartiniradiomartini Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Muzer wrote: »
    I think it's more to do with the fact that it isn't on FM. Though why it was chosen rather than R4X oslt is beyond me...

That's what I was thinking