The player your club NEARLY signed.

Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
Forum Member
Bit of an odd thread but just a bit of fun. Whats the player your club were realistically linked with but didnt quite pull off that you would have loved to see?

For me as a Man Utd fan there should be many, we nearly got Gazza for example, and we were linked with everyone in the 90s but one realistic player that i really would have loved to have seen was Di Canio. We were heavily linked with a move for him when he was at West Ham and i think he would have ticked all the boxes to be awesome for us for a year or two.

Who is your clubs "nearly men"?

Comments

• seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Souness famously turned down Eric Cantona when he was Liverpool manager!

There were rumours that Roy Evans wanted to sign Zidane for £3m but the board wouldn't back him. Not sure how true that is though.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batistuta, Salas, Xavi, take your pick of them, we could have signed each of them.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Batistuta, Salas, Xavi, take your pick of them, we could have signed each of them.

No we couldn't, certainly not Batistuta and i suspect not Salas. We werent paying these wages to get them at the time hence why it was nothing more than paper talk.

I mean players that were well within the clubs grasp but for one reason or another didnt happen.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xavi was a signing which we were very close to getting done before Pep took charge, if it wasn't for Pep, he would have signed for us, so that does fit your definition I would say.
    Forum Member
    Xavi was a signing which we were very close to getting done before Pep took charge, if it wasn't for Pep, he would have signed for us, so that does fit your definition I would say.

I didnt mention Xavi i mentioned Batistuta and Salas. Yes, Xavi is exactly the type of thing i mean.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simao. Was on a bloody plane when Benfica asked for more money.

Lucas Neill was a nearly too but that was a bullet dodged thankfully.
    Forum Member

Lucas Neill was a nearly too but that was a bullet dodged thankfully.

I dunno, every club needs a nutter to get behind!

Its a fine line between an awesomely timed tackle and attempted murder....
    Forum Member
    If i can add another one in for my other team.

After the summer of 86 Dundee United came within an inch of a deal for the Brazilian international Josimar. He was the guy that scored the spectacular long-range effort in the Mexico 86 World Cup.

It was too good to be true but he seemed to have signed, as with these things though, it WAS too good to be true and he ended up in Spain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well just after Mike Ashley took us over . There were rumours of us getting Ronaldo (The Brazillian one) and Rooney.
    Probably just paper talk though. Also IIRC Harry Redknapp was very close to becoming our new manager once.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Liverpool) Some bloke called Michael Laudrup, a three year deal was offered, he (or his agent) wanted four. Liverpool said no. The rest is history. Its lucky he wasn't actually missed.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »

There were rumours that Roy Evans wanted to sign Zidane for £3m but the board wouldn't back him. Not sure how true that is though.

Wasn't this attibuted to Blackburn? I'm sure I've heard that when the funds were requested, Jack Walker replied, 'Why do we need Zidane? We've got Tim Sherwood'. Hilarious, if true.

For Manchester United, I'd say Ronaldhino. We were so close to signing him from PSG, until a last minute bid from Barcelona came in. That could have been spectacular, although I suspect that it may have meant that we wouldn't have signed Ronaldo. Silver linings, and all that, eh?
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

not sure if that's true, it could have just been made up from the fact that Zidane was a Liverpool fan and stated that he would have loved to have played for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I dunno, every club needs a nutter to get behind!

Its a fine line between an awesomely timed tackle and attempted murder....

We already had Craig Bellamy!

There was already too much bad blood between us and Neill for the supporters to get behind him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I recall Roy saying the board wouldn't back him to buy Sheringham too.

Another story was we couldn't agree terms with Michael Laudrup.

Another was that Houllier ran the rule over C.Ronaldo and decided he "wasn't ready" for the Premiership. Luckily, United wasted their money on him instead so Ged was proved right on that one.......
    Forum Member
    We already had Craig Bellamy!

There was already too much bad blood between us and Neill for the supporters to get behind him.

Im only joking! :D

He was offered crazy money to go elsewhere wasnt he? West Ham was it? It was about £70k a week or something off the scale like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im only joking! :D

He was offered crazy money to go elsewhere wasnt he? West Ham was it? It was about £70k a week or something off the scale like that.

He claimed it wasn't about money though.

Claimed that Liverpool had never even spoken to him and Rafa didn't even approach him. Contrast that with Mascherano who said Rafa couldn't do enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »

Another was that Houllier ran the rule over C.Ronaldo and decided he "wasn't ready" for the Premiership. Luckily, United wasted their money on him instead so Ged was proved right on that one.......

Luckily, United seem to have learned their lesson, after that travesty. We now only spend big money on proven, world-beating wingers, such as Bebe.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If reports are to be believed, Benitez was apparantly after David Silva and Dani Alves before they made their moves to City and Barca, but Hicks and Gilette didn't back him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not sure about Silva but think the Alves one definitely had legs.

Then again if reports are to be believed Rafa wanted t replace Alonso with Gareth Barry which is a crock of s**t.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Shearer and if the rumours were true then rivaldo circa 99
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shearer was the obvious one, for us. Twice. I sometimes wonder if he regrets turning us down, but then remember that he has saved himself a fortune in Brasso. One medal doesn't take much cleaning.
    Forum Member
    Im chuffed we didnt sign Shearer. Im sure i would have loved him in a Utd shirt but he didnt sign so he can **** right off!
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Don't know the full story to this but I understand Leeds were close to signing maradona in the mid 80s after his terrible experience at Barcelona it came about after
    Alex sabella an Argentinian midfielder whom played for sheffield united and Leeds in the 80s as both were with the same agent but nothing came of it
    The fact we were middle of the old division 2 at the time
    Is even more bizzare

Kevin keegan wanted to sign for Leeds in 1969
    When he signed for Liverpool but he felt he wouldn't have got I'm the side that had just won the old div 1 title by a then record
    67 points by losing just 2 games

We also nearly signed the top
    Scorer at Italia 90 some chech international who name escapes
    Me also palo Sousa from inter Milan

Nadal from Barcelona Andrs muller are two
    Of the more recent famous names we nearly signed

We were linked with shearer when we were league champions
    We had a European cup to tempt him
    With but blackburn tempted him with cash

S
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im chuffed we didnt sign Shearer. Im sure i would have loved him in a Utd shirt but he didnt sign so he can **** right off!

We did alright without him, to be fair.
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    (Liverpool) Some bloke called Michael Laudrup, a three year deal was offered, he (or his agent) wanted four. Liverpool said no. The rest is history. Its lucky he wasn't actually missed.
    Lucky escape Mike ! having M Laudrup in the team could have pushed Liverpool very close to relegation that year.;)