Options

Cities that would be better with one football team?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    This happened in the Austrian city of Linz. There was Voest Linz, and LASK Linz, then Voest got into serious financial trouble, LASK took them over but the merger virtually wiped out all evidence of Voest. They weren't small clubs in the country either, both had been champions since 1960 at one time or another.

Anyway, Voest fans got fed up about being asked to support essentially LASK, so formed an early phoenix club with the old colours, and named it Blau-Weiss Linz. They can't officially use the Voest name, as LASK own it, but they do hang Voest banners at games and their nickname is 'Voestler'!

Ironically, Blau-Weiss are now in a higher division than LASK (2nd to 3rd tier) but are likely to go down this season.

It does prove that trying to amalgamate clubs is a waste of time, as the set of fans that feels it has lost out more will just go off and form a phoenix club anyway, which will get back nearly all of the old support.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Nottingham Forrest is not in Nottingham

Only due to boundary changes in the 1950's. West Brigford is a de facto suburb of Nottingham proper.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This happened in the Austrian city of Linz. There was Voest Linz, and LASK Linz, then Voest got into serious financial trouble, LASK took them over but the merger virtually wiped out all evidence of Voest. They weren't small clubs in the country either, both had been champions since 1960 at one time or another.

Anyway, Voest fans got fed up about being asked to support essentially LASK, so formed an early phoenix club with the old colours, and named it Blau-Weiss Linz. They can't officially use the Voest name, as LASK own it, but they do hang Voest banners at games and their nickname is 'Voestler'!

Ironically, Blau-Weiss are now in a higher division than LASK (2nd to 3rd tier) but are likely to go down this season.

It does prove that trying to amalgamate clubs is a waste of time, as the set of fans that feels it has lost out more will just go off and form a phoenix club anyway, which will get back nearly all of the old support.

This is true. There would be riots, if they tried to merge Bristol City, and Rovers.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    Yours is from 2001, mine is from 2004 and a study into the actual urban zone.

I live in the area and can tell you Nottingham's population is nowhere near that. Even the 666,000 figure includes places in Derbyshire like Long Eaton and Ilkeston which wouldn't consider themselves part of Nottingham.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Arsespur

Heart of Hiberian

Fulsea

Everpool

Manchester Actually United

Though in all seriousness, I wouldn't want to be the one who volunteers to tell Boca Juniors and River Plate fans that they should consider merging.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Though in all seriousness, I wouldn't want to be the one who volunteers to tell Boca Juniors and River Plate fans that they should consider merging.

There are about two dozen Buenos Aires clubs in the top two divisions alone. Each one is attached to a particular 'barrio' or borough, so there's is so much local pride at stake, you couldn't get any of them to merge.

Imagine if every borough in London had its own club in the top 2 divisions. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are about two dozen Buenos Aires clubs in the top two divisions alone. Each one is attached to a particular 'barrio' or borough, so there's is so much local pride at stake, you couldn't get any of them to merge.

Imagine if every borough in London had its own club in the top 2 divisions. :eek:

"Good evening, and welcome to MOTD. Tonight we start with the heated local derby between Hounslow and Westminister......."
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    I live in the area and can tell you Nottingham's population is nowhere near that. Even the 666,000 figure includes places in Derbyshire like Long Eaton and Ilkeston which wouldn't consider themselves part of Nottingham.

On Ilkeston I can understand even though there are crap loads of forest fans there, long eaton though you are having a laugh.

Besides that's what it is according to how it's worked out, just like other cities that are worked in the same way.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arsespur

Heart of Hiberian

Fulsea

Everpool

Manchester Actually United

Instead of Arsepur, how about Tottenham Hotarse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Good evening, and welcome to MOTD. Tonight we start with the heated local derby between Hounslow and Westminister......."

Absolutely! It virtually is like that!

On this map covering the 2011 season, 13 out of 20 top division clubs are in the Greater Buenos Aires area. :eek:

Then another dozen in the second division.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the chimp wrote: »
    Instead of Arsepur, how about Tottenham Hotarse.

Yep, that's better

lol
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't there a planned merger of Reading and Oxford back in the 80's that was announced, but didn't happen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't there a planned merger of Reading and Oxford back in the 80's that was announced, but didn't happen?

Yes, I think that they were going to be called 'Thames Valley Royals'. Fat thief, Robert Maxwell, was behind it.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only due to boundary changes in the 1950's. West Brigford is a de facto suburb of Nottingham proper.

Never the less it's not in the City of Nottingham:)
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Anybody who think you can simply take 2 clubs from the same city and merge them is either a troll or has no understanding whatsoever about football and supporting a club
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Never the less it's not in the City of Nottingham:)

For all intents and purposes, they are. They were in Nottingham when they were founded. If someone altered the boundaries to exclude Anfield, it wouldn't make Liverpool less Liverpudlian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For all intents and purposes, they are. They were in Nottingham when they were founded. If someone altered the boundaries to exclude Anfield, it wouldn't make Liverpool less Liverpudlian.

A boundary through Stanley Park:eek::eek:

I like to be accurate. They should be called West Bridgford Forrest.:p
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which two clubs in the same city would benefit most from ground sharing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like to be accurate. They should be called West Bridgford Forrest.:p

Why would they add a second "r" to their name?

In any case Forest could simply argue that "Nottingham" in their name refers to heritage and origin.

Sheffield, Dundee and Bristol

Having larger common stadiums would also be helpful for any future England EURO bids (I presume the FA have given up on the World Cup)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The new name would give them the chance to correct a long term spelling mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In any case Forest could simply argue that "Nottingham" in their name refers to heritage and origin.

Sheffield, Dundee and Bristol

Having larger common stadiums would also be helpful for any future England EURO bids (I presume the FA have given up on the World Cup
    )

Bristol City are building a new, bigger stadium, and the trigger for that was the World Cup bid. I'd add Liverpool to the ground-sharing list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bristol City are building a new, bigger stadium, and the trigger for that was the World Cup bid. I'd add Liverpool to the ground-sharing list.

If both clubs want a massive new stadium, it would make sense
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The new name would give them the chance to correct a long term spelling mistake.

They were named after the Forest Recreation Ground

One "r"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They were named after the Forest Recreation Ground

One "r"

It would appear that years ago, somebody spelled it wrong:o

Everything you have said about Forest has been correct. I sometimes tend to be pedantic:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member

Nah we will do up Ashton Gate