European weekend city break in May?

FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any ideas? Just a get away from it all relaxing weekend. Hopefully the weather should be better in May? I live in London.

Comments

• Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We took my Dad to Paris for his 60th in May to Paris - it was lovely with all the flowers coming out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bruges.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prague, Stockholm, Rome, Bruges, Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Madrid, Barcelona, Amsterdam... the list is endless.

The only place I'd say to avoid is Paris. IMO it's overhyped, overpriced and just a smelly, disgusting hell hole. And for the sake of comparison I LOVE London. I've been to Paris three times now and each time I come back hating it more than I did before.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Italy is lovely in the spring and far south enough to be reasonably confident of nice weather and it's before it gets bakingly hot over there.

So, Florence, Rome, Venice, would all be amazing.

Or Spain for the same reasons, Barcelona or Madrid.

Sigh, typing this out has made me want a weekend in any of these places right now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I went to Budapest in May last year and it was amazing, booking to go back this year. The weather was in the 30s and the spas were glorious, proper relaxation!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Budapest and Krakow are both interesting places. Prague is ok but very crowded by tourists.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to Florence in early May, years ago, and it was just gorgeous. We did a longish walk along a hillside above and outside the city, there was blossom (apple? cherry? I don't know) everywhere and it was just wonderful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Love Rome went on our honey moon last august but a lot of walking and need at least 5 days.

Would love to visit Paris next
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barcelona, Paris, Bruges, Venice, Geneva (though it is very expensive). Even Malta isn't too far away for a long weekend :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prague is excellent and perfect for 2-3 nights.

It may have a bad reputation for stag and hen nights but they are easy to avoid. The old town is a maze of narrow cobbled streets with loads of interesting bars and restaurants to explore.

Otherwise if you want more sun then Madrid and Barcelona are both worth doing. Barca has the beach and the architecture but I found Madrid to be more laid back and relaxing.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Do not go to Paris.

Try Florence or Amsterdam.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anywhere but Paris
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignore everyone who says don't go to Paris, it's a beautiful city, you just need to know where to go within it.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I recommend Palma
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Dubrovnik and its surrounds is wonderful
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Ignore everyone who says don't go to Paris, it's a beautiful city, you just need to know where to go within it.

In all fairness people are entitled to an opinion ., I dont think it would be nice to say "ignore Mysticals opinion and only I am right" !! Personally I liked Paris , didnt love it and it wouldnt be on my top three list . Parts of Paris were worth a visit but parts of it were best forgotten .
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member

Why would they ignore them? I liked Paris, but I've never been back which about says it all.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Dubrovnik and its surrounds is wonderful

It is lovely but it gets very busy at times, particularly when the cruise ships are in port.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all fairness people are entitled to an opinion ., I dont think it would be nice to say "ignore Mysticals opinion and only I am right" !! Personally I liked Paris , didnt love it and it wouldnt be on my top three list . Parts of Paris were worth a visit but parts of it were best forgotten .

Of course, I just think it's a bit counter-productive to tell someone to not go to a certain place when the OP asked for advice on where was best to go.

I also think it's a bit negative just to say not to go to a city without explaining why, so I thought I'd point out that actually Paris isn't, in my opinion, anywhere near as bad as some people make out, and just as many people love it as loathe it, same as everywhere else.

It just seemed to be getting some unduly negative posting in here, so maybe I didn't choose my wording well, but it certainly seemed wrong to have solely negative posts about Paris and nowhere else...
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you live in London then Paris is dead easy to get to, just get on the eurostar - job done. I love Paris - go as often as possible.

However anywhere in Italy should be good, Florence is great for a long weekend. Other than that, Lisbon's nice.

In fact, I might book a weekend in Lisbon myself, treat the wife :)