Who decides When to Seperate a Prisioner in Prison

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
Forum Member
I won't try to hide it. I am referring to the Bridger defendant in the April Jones case.

OK lets role forward 6 weeks and he is found guilty ad sentanced.

He goes to jail.

Who says OK he should be kept seperate from a other prisioners for his own safety?

Do they have to do that?

Personaly I'd make no allowances for him or any of the other peope of his ilk namely Huntly, and put them up as a normal prisioner in a normal cell on a normal wing

Comments

• BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the prison guards would be pleased with your suggestion.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    In that case I'd say that it's probably for the best that you're not running the prison service then. Because it would make prison officers jobs much more difficult if your idea was taken up.
  • Rice_and_PeasRice_and_Peas Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Pretzel wrote: »
    In that case I'd say that it's probably for the best that you're not running the prison service then. Because it would make prison officers jobs much more difficult if your idea was taken up.

He can't even spell so I doubt that would ever happen.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »

agree, some people just have no real idea of how any institution should be run, if they did god help us all.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I believe decisions to segregate prisoners is made based on the crime of which the prisoner has been convicted. There will be other factors which may also be considered, for example a prisoner can request segregation for their own safety.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine notorious ones who have abused or killed children are segregated for their own safety.

Ones who are violent are probably likely to be segregated as well.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Nobody would need to attack him if he was put on a normal wing (which I very much doubt he would be).

They'd just need to torch his cell when he wasn't there or several other prisoners could approach the SO sperately and tell him the priosner was under threat of being attacked.

He'd be shipped out straight away.
  • sy278sy278 Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cstar2229 wrote: »
    I imagine notorious ones who have abused or killed children are segregated for their own safety.

Ones who are violent are probably likely to be segregated as well.

Isn't that the point the OP is making though?

These people killed or molested kids, why should they be protected?
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sy278 wrote: »

Because it is the guards who have to deal with it and their jobs are hard enough as it is.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

Because we don't have a death penalty in this country and even if we did it would be unlikely to take the form of death by prison based mob
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member

Because the prison authorities are responsible for the people in their custody regardless of why they are there to begin with.

You get sent to prison AS punishment, not to BE punished.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If a prisoner was assaulted and the result was loss of life or serious injuries the fact is that the officer's will be seen as accountable. It's them who will likely have repurcussions from an atteck and possibly them who would in a serious assault, also get injured as they have a duty of care regardless of the rimes of a prisoner and would have to step in and try to deal with such an attack.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Prison Rule 045 Removal from Association

(1) Where it appears desirable, for the maintenance of good order or discipline or in his own interests, that a prisoner should not associate with other prisoners, either generally or for particular purposes, the governor may arrange for the prisoner's removal from association accordingly.

(2) A prisoner shall not be removed under this rule for a period of more than 3 days without the authority of a member of the board of visitors or of the Secretary of State. An authority given under this paragraph shall be for a period not exceeding one month, but may be renewed from month to month except that, in the case of a person aged less than 21 years who is detained in prison such an authority shall be for a period not exceeding 14 days, but may be renewed from time to time for a like period.

(3) The governor may arrange at his discretion for such a prisoner as aforesaid to resume association with other prisoners, and shall do so if in any case the medical officer or a medical practitioner such as is mentioned in rule 20(3) so advises on medical grounds.

(4) This rule shall not apply to a prisoner the subject of a direction given under Rule 46(1).
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I23 wrote: »
    Personaly I'd make no allowances for him or any of the other peope of his ilk namely Huntly, and put them up as a normal prisioner in a normal cell on a normal wing

What a horrible person you are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    simonp820 wrote: »
    What a horrible person you are.

As horrible as Bridger and Huntly or worse?

To the other posters who have pointed out the consequences of the guards having to deal with such a situation I take that on-board and apologise for my comments. I would not want these peope to be caught up in it whatsoever.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As horrible as Bridger and Huntly or worse?

Why are you comparing yourself to those people?
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    agree, some people just have no real idea of how any institution should be run, if they did god help us all.

Indeed. Many seem to think the job of the prison officer is to assist sadism.

I'd like to think the vast majority of prison officers do the job in order to help people, rather than to satify their sadistic tendencies.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure prison officers have turned a blind eye in the past.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't try to hide it. I am referring to the Bridger defendant in the April Jones case.

OK lets role forward 6 weeks and he is found guilty ad sentanced.

He goes to jail.

Who says OK he should be kept seperate from a other prisioners for his own safety?

Do they have to do that?

If we followed your idea then we may as well bring back the death penaltyy as those convicted of child murders and sex offences would eventually be killed.

Now I am not protecting child sex offenders etc but we have a justice system, and that system deals with the offender , its not for us to throw them in with the others and stand back and watch them be possibly beaten, tortured and murdered , that may be what they did to their victim but we dont behave that way as we are better than that, we recognise their right to safety even if they did not to their victim, we as a society deal in justice via the law and not revenge.

And as has been said imagine the job of the prison officer, it would be a nightmare.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am sure they have but they should be above that , its a job where your personal feleings of revulsion should not come into it.
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if he is convicted, he'll more than likely be going to a Cat A prison (high-security), which mainly has a population of child killers, Child abusers, etc....... could be sent to HMP Wakefield..... that's where Huntley, Whitting and Philpott are!
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep, 3 prisoners have lost their lives this year..... some in their cell and one definitely in the Showers.....