Options

ED Are Declans house rules unrealistic?

Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
Forum Member
Ok in Declans houses your not allowed pets or to smoke. Do rented houses really have as many strict rules in real life?

Comments

• Options
    Dizzy-GirlDizzy-Girl Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    As a long time renter I can tell you that his rules are very realistic, some landlords maybe lenient if you offer to give a huge deposit for any damage caused by pets or smoking but they are few and far between.
  • Options
    Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,387
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    Ok in Declans houses your not allowed pets or to smoke. Do rented houses really have as many strict rules in real life?

Yep. I live in rented accomodation and we are not allowed pets or to smoke in the house.

Imagine if Andy wanted to move on and Declan had to rent that house and it stinks of cigarettes and animals.

I certainly wouldn't want to live in a house in that condition.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it's realistic.

I remember my sister renting a house and she wasn't allowed to decorate, it was all painted neutral colours and she wasn't permitted to change it. And if she wanted to hang pictures on the walls it could only be on the tacks already attached to some of the walls, she wasn't allowed to make any new ones.
  • Options
    Purple.Purple. Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. It has been in every place I have rented (5). Some landlords are slightly flexible, I knew someone who signed an agreement saying no pets, but the landlord said that they could have a cat if they checked with her first/it was well-behaved etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My boyfriends tenancy states that they must not use candles, aswell as not smoking.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a student in the nineties, I can remember going to view a bedsit that was like something out of Rising Damp.

The room was dark and dingy and had a 'Monarch of the Glen' type painting on the wall. That was when I was given the 'no tacks or pins rule.'

There were of course that old bedsit favourite - several different types of coin operated meters, all taking different coins and some complicated system about sharing the costs for the one in the hall. And what looked like as many different wiring systems as there were meters.

But my favourite part was, on viewing the shared bathroom, noticing that part of the ceiling had fallen in and was barricaded off. That was when I got rule number two 'no overnight guests. The Fire Department doesn't like it.' I suspected that there were so many things in that flat that the Fire Service wouldn't like, that overnight guests would be the least of their worries.

So yes, landlords can be quite strict on the rules:D:D:D
  • Options
    bob321bob321 Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Yep in the flat I lived in before smoking and pets weren't allowed, and don't know if it's worth doing either thing even if you're allowed as tenant's like to find reasons not to give deposits back
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    It's a quite standard rule in rented houses. Many landlords do not allow pets or smoking in their properties, and it is with good reason, too.
  • Options
    BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You find more landlords who refuse pets and smoking then those that will allow it.
  • Options
    Joni_KilleJoni_Kille Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, i had trouble finding a landlord that would allow cats and my neighbours below share the same landlord have to smoke outside....they tend to be in the lease and if you break the terms they are entitled to end the lease and chuck you out.

Renting is quite restricted nowadays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think landlords are subject to quite strict regulations themselves these days and probably have high insurance premiums, so it's easier just to place blanket bans on smoking, pets etc rather than negotiating with tenants.
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    msmasood wrote: »
    My boyfriends tenancy states that they must not use candles, aswell as not smoking.

I can understand that because they are a greater fire risk than cigarettes, although in most fires cigarettes are the cause.
  • Options
    YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    I think landlords are subject to quite strict regulations themselves these days and probably have high insurance premiums, so it's easier just to place blanket bans on smoking, pets etc rather than negotiating with tenants.

Very true, still I find it hard to believe the landlord (Declan) would not have the house insured- telling Andy he had to foot the bill for repairs was a bit unbelievable - I would expect the tenant to pay the excess but the house insurance would cover the rest surely ?
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yera wrote: »
    Very true, still I find it hard to believe the landlord (Declan) would not have the house insured- telling Andy he had to foot the bill for repairs was a bit unbelievable - I would expect the tenant to pay the excess but the house insurance would cover the rest surely ?

Where is Andy going to get the money from anyway? Even if there is not too much structural damage, it will cost thousands to redecorate throughout, buy all new soft furnishings etc. Isn't he a farm labourer? :confused:
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    No smoking or pets is pretty tame compared to some landlords requests.
  • Options
    YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Where is Andy going to get the money from anyway? Even if there is not too much structural damage, it will cost thousands to redecorate throughout, buy all new soft furnishings etc. Isn't he a farm labourer? :confused:

Exactly! Diane will probably come to the rescue- still find it hard to believe Declan the shrewd business man didn't have sufficient house insurance !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yera wrote: »

possibly not, the insurance might stipulate a no-smoking policy, or it might not cover accidents caused by a breach of the terms in the lease. There are special policies for landlords. Declan said something about the insurance not covering it, rather than him not having insurance. However, surely Andy has his own contents' insurance as well, so that would cover any items that belonged to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    possibly not, the insurance might stipulate a no-smoking policy, or it might not cover accidents caused by a breach of the terms in the lease. There are special policies for landlords. Declan said something about the insurance not covering it, rather than him not having insurance. However, surely Andy has his own contents' insurance as well, so that would cover any items that belonged to him.

Oh yes, that would make sense. Do we know if that cottage came fully furnished? If so, he'd still be screwed I suppose.

(Congrats on your 'mildstone' btw) :D
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Declan renting out Home Farm as well?
    It seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry is up there these days and turned it into a Community Centre.
    Wanna get married - use Home Farm.
    Wanna have a party - use Home Farm.
    Wanna kill a Horse - go to Home Farm.
    Wanna impress the school head - use Home Farm.
    Wanna do a drug deal - use Home Farm.

Well, at least it's a bit different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, that would make sense. Do we know if that cottage came fully furnished? If so, he'd still be screwed I suppose.

(Congrats on your 'mildstone' btw) :D

ta, I've got the champers on ice on the Daily:D:D:D
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member

This is very true. Most likely the insurance would not cover this one, because the breach of lease.
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member

Someone's lived a blissfully fortunate life :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »
    Is Declan renting out Home Farm as well?
    It seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry is up there these days and turned it into a Community Centre.
    Wanna get married - use Home Farm.
    Wanna have a party - use Home Farm.
    Wanna kill a Horse - go to Home Farm.
    Wanna impress the school head - use Home Farm.
    Wanna do a drug deal - use Home Farm.

Well, at least it's a bit different.

:D:D:D

It does seem rather strange. I know a lot of 'stately' homes, (ie, not Home Farm), do open to the public/rent out rooms etc to help meet upkeep costs, but Declan does seem to be taking the concept to whole new levels. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

It does seem rather strange. I know a lot of 'stately' homes, (ie, not Home Farm), do open to the public/rent out rooms etc to help meet upkeep costs, but Declan does seem to be taking the concept to whole new levels. :eek:

The thing is, it's not even that impressive a house! It looks like the kind of place that you see scattered throughout posh suburbs and villages throughout the country. And given it's name, I'd assume it's originally been the Home Farm for a much grander house.It's more like the kind of place that would be turned into expensive flats or offices now, not running as an upmarket wedding and events venue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    Someone's lived a blissfully fortunate life :D

I do think that the no smoking rule in rented properties is a bit harsh, considering that even prisoners are permitted to smoke by virtue of the fact that a prison is (at least temporarily) your home and people are allowed to smoke in their homes, so it would be a breach of their human rights were they prevented from smoking in their 'home'.

After all, people who own their own homes have no trouble getting reasonably cheap insurance if they smoke. Why should it be any different in rented properties? (And even if there was a premium on his insurance bill, Declan would just have added it to the rent).