Options

Sorry Rachel has left

Comments

• Options
    PoppysinbloomPoppysinbloom Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yosebite wrote: »
    It is worth it just to see the sour faced judges. That is funny. If they really care to disregard entertainment value in an entertainment show and judge overweight middle age men on a level playing field with younger sportsmen (Ben) and slim lithe girls (being led by stronger males partners) using purely technical dancing skills they could probably have placed them all in order at the start of the series.

Len Goodman summed it up the previous week when he said he was tiring of the window dressing parts and he just wanted to see the technical dancing. Well, Len give the BBC their cheque back and spend your time in local ballrooms judging joe public. If they have practiced they will all be better than Dave but not half as entertaining
    Good post and true. I wish Len would take your advice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That dance could have been a significant turning-point for Rachel.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    She wasn't going to get any better, so I am glad she went out on a high.

Kind of agree and yet there's always that little maybe imaginary hope that this could have been a turnaround for her (as peterard says)... There was a definite shift in Rachel's ability to inhabit the dance, which could have made a big difference to her ability to learn.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    That dance could have been a significant turning-point for Rachel.

I would have liked to see if she could improve. Have there been any previous contestants who have been bad then something clicked at around this point and they started getting rather good even if never got to the final?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm. One thing that struck me was Rachel said she was able to be more loose in the dance-off because she was free of worry then. It sounds as though the live shows were very nerve-wracking for her. I don't think she was a natural dancer, but it is possible that she would have been able to perform more easily if she had survived a dance-off having been less worried then and being able to transfer that feeling across to another dance. Maybe.

I kind of skimmed over her to begin with, but she seemed quite likeable near the end. Getting positive feedback really seemed to make her happy. Being a cynical viewer I tend not to really think of how some contestants actually do pay a lot of notice to the comments and take them to heart. I think she did, anyway.
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I would have liked to see if she could improve. Have there been any previous contestants who have been bad then something clicked at around this point and they started getting rather good even if never got to the final?

Matt Dawson - I remember his turning point was a ballroom dance which he performed really well. Prior to that he'd done some either lacklustre, self conscious or poor performances - he was popular enough to be allowed to progress and he got to the finals - I think he became a really good ballroom dancer, his Latin improved but it wasn't as good as his ballroom and I don't think he was ever fully able to let go in Latin. He did have an excellent teacher in Lilia who was always a great motivator.

I think if Rachel had had enough time to train she could have become a good ballroom dancer - not sure about Latin but I think even though she's not a natural she could have improved in that area with time and effort too.
  • Options
    Bouzouki BoyBouzouki Boy Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    She wasn't going to get any better

How can you be sure of that? Not that I can prove otherwise, but I'm curious to know.
  • Options
    samiskimsamiskim Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very sorry Rachel was voted out on Saturday - I don't think she could have won but she was improving unlike some other contestants who are still in - she was close to tears on ITT tonight - it is a shame because she loved dancing with Pasha and I think she had a lot more to give - but hey ho - Dave might surprise us all yet.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    Matt Dawson - I remember his turning point was a ballroom dance which he performed really well. Prior to that he'd done some either lacklustre, self conscious or poor performances - he was popular enough to be allowed to progress and he got to the finals - I think he became a really good ballroom dancer, his Latin improved but it wasn't as good as his ballroom and I don't think he was ever fully able to let go in Latin. He did have an excellent teacher in Lilia who was always a great motivator.

I think if Rachel had had enough time to train she could have become a good ballroom dancer - not sure about Latin but I think even though she's not a natural she could have improved in that area with time and effort too.

Matt Dawson is a good example. He managed to get to the final, over better dancers, because he developed into a decent ballroom dancer. Its not necessary to be good at everything to progress in the show, and achieve a good personal result.

Indeed, this year there doesn't look to be anyone who combines charisma, technique, acting ability, musicality and ability to perform both classes of dance well. Losing anyone who could do some of those things, and who might get an improvement story going, is a big negative for the show. You could make the same arguments about Deborah too - she also added more story than several people who are still not doing much worthwhile.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

Michael Vaughn and Gethin Jones. Two of my favourite past contestants.
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I loved the beat of the song they danced to. I said it would be ironic if she was in the bottom two after giving a better dance but that's the way it goes unfortunately.
  • Options
    SpiritedAwaySpiritedAway Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She didn't deserve to be in the bottom two this week, but she certainly deserved to be there last week so I can't say I'm sad she is gone.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree! Her and Fiona are equally rubbish but Fiona is older and thus attracts more kindness.

Dave is a bloke and can't just be dragged about by a pro male so his inadequacies are more visible. He is the only person I would describe as worse than Rachel, but again, the public are kinder because it's harder for leads and everyone loves an underdog.

Everyone else is, without question (IMO!) better.

She seems very nice though, lovely last words and the friendship between her and Abbey was adorable. I'm sure Rachel's future is very bright :)

That's unfair even had Dave been a lady and several pounds lighter (I'm overweight myself and I proud Mark supporter before I get accused of weightism) he would never have been able to be lifted like that and the steps she was doing in between the lifts were not too shaby either. That said I don't think her latin is much better than Mark's and it's considerable worse than Sophie (last night's jive expected but then again Kara did a rubbish jive so everyone's allowed one bad dance).

Watching the clip of Fiona's charleston you can see her swivels were quite good even isome other bits of the routine were not so good.

Dave should have gone but I'm not finding him that annoying - maybe he just pales in comparision with Widdy or maybe I've been watching this too long to be bothered with getting annoyed at a non-hoper 'comedy' contestant lingering. He is dancing better too although it was wasn't apparently from the dance what dance it was supposed to be - which is not a good sign - Fiona's rhumba was like that too.

That said she went out on a high (and like Spirited Away I think she deserved to go last week although I'm glad she didn't) and has probably done her career no harm at all - a lovely lady who tried hard.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Louis Smith improved massively during the series - obviously he could move a lot better than Rachel could at the start, but he always looked rather awkward and embarrassed until the Charleston which seemed to free him up.
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone has their own scale of learning.

Rachel started off with no dance ability and no acting ability. She was also working 2 jobs in cities in different parts of the country.

She was doing the right things. Working hard, doing what Pasha told her, improved from the acting lesson.

Her scale of improvement was small compared to someone who starts off with natural abilities which make learning to dance easier, but she was dancing full routines with less training hours than others who only danced part dances at times.

It would have taken her longer and a lot more work than others but she was improving and would have kept improving if she kept on training the way she had done.

Given she was not born with the dance gene, she should be happy with how hard she worked, how much she learned and the standard she reached. Its better to be your own judge than go by other's judgement of you.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel certainly didn't deserve to be in the bottom 2. No, she's certainly nowhere near the best dancer, but she was still pretty good considering she never went to stage school but was getting a proper education instead. Take out all the stage schoolers and she compared very favourably with the rest.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennyloo wrote: »
    She didn't deserve it. Wasnt good last week but this week was her best week. Notice this seems to happen a lot when a person improves.:confused:

She's improved, but among the women celebs there are a few more way better than her. It's the nature of the show. I'm glad she went out on a high. :)
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way she danced the dance off, when she knew she would lose to Abbey, shows just how nerves effected her during the series.

She deserved at least 2 more weeks, and if she could have relaxed and continued improving who knows how far she could have gone.

The way she spoke both at the end of the results show and ITT was just lovely. She is one classy lady:)
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    She did seem a pleasant girl.

Mind you, I saw her on the Gadget Show last night and she can't present for toffee. I don't like the bloke who does it either though.

I don't mind that she's gone. She wasn't funny and Pasha is a bit love-sick-puppy-drippy with his partners. I think he should get a much feistier, older partner.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She did seem a pleasant girl.

Mind you, I saw her on the Gadget Show last night and she can't present for toffee. I don't like the bloke who does it either though.

I don't mind that she's gone. She wasn't funny and Pasha is a bit love-sick-puppy-drippy with his partners. I think he should get a much feistier, older partner.

Hope he gets a Fiona type celeb next year. :)
  • Options
    kirstylouise666kirstylouise666 Posts: 6,959
    Forum Member
    She isn't that good but I think Fiona should have gone before
  • Options
    RosegrowerRosegrower Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I have been surprised that no mention of SCD has been made on Countdown - or perhaps it has and I've just missed it as I don't watch every day. Or maybe Countdown is recorded so far in advance that comment was impossible.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosegrower wrote: »
    I have been surprised that no mention of SCD has been made on Countdown - or perhaps it has and I've just missed it as I don't watch every day. Or maybe Countdown is recorded so far in advance that comment was impossible.

Countdown is notorious for being recorded many months before transmission, and is also one of the worst offenders for trying to pretend it's live, even to the extend of pretending it's a presenter's/guest's birthday many months in advance in order to tie in with their actual birthday on transmission date. They even invent fictitious presents they've received etc.

I think this current batch was recorded back in about March. Arlene Philips was also the dictionary corner guest the other week.
  • Options
    tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    I think this current batch was recorded back in about March. Arlene Philips was also the dictionary corner guest the other week.

Don't think the pre-recording is anywhere near as far behind as you suggest - more like a month or two at most (Rachel sometimes tweets about the celebrity guests on the day of recording), but I agree that the 'live' pretence is mildly annoying.

Why can't they just be honest with us? They record 5 shows in a day, e.g. "For you it's Wednesday, here in TV land we've just had lunch..."
  • Options
    dayzeeedayzeee Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel endeared herself to me, not so much for her dancing as for her personality. She came across as a lovely person.