Options

Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 10)

Comments

• Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just seen what I presume is a new Andrex advert asking people (I am not kidding) "how clean do you feel after using the loo?" Featuring annoying children and equally irritating adults talking about, presumably, using toilet paper. :eek:

Thank goodness I'd eaten!
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Go Fun Yourself" is the worst motto i've ever heard. Especially for a car. Ann Summers maybe, but not a car.

I think that must be a joke on the advertising agency's part, to see what they can get away with, probably thought up when they were at the pub! More fool the car manufacturer's for accepting it. They should have told the ad people to "Go Fun themselves" and come up with something better. :)
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I think that must be a joke on the advertising agency's part, to see what they can get away with, probably thought up when they were at the pub! More fool the car manufacturer's for accepting it. They should have told the ad people to "Go Fun themselves" and come up with something better. :)

They should have a Parliament soundtrack for the ad and the
    caption "Go Funk Yourself".

Thank you, I'm here all week. :D
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Just seen an advert for "wowcher", i thought id missed something so had to rewind it to confirm.

Basically, theres a party with 3 giggly women, theres a bloke dancing badky, and the 3 women dont like his dancing, so they throw stuff al over the dancefloor so he falls and hurts himself:confused:

Cue final freezeframe of said bloke in the air after slipping on the shite they threw ion the floor, probably fractured his pelvis, am i really missing something, or is that it?

I dont find it remotely funny, i really cant see how its meant to be even remotely funny, i just cant imagine the scenes that would cause in a proper party environment, guy on floor with broken leg, hips and pelvis, guys girlfriend and her friend sets about 3 giggly girls, blood, tears, ripped out hair.....who thinks these things up?
  • Options
    Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fack off Andrex, the state of my arse is none of your concern.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Just seen an advert for "wowcher", i thought id missed something so had to rewind it to confirm.

Basically, theres a party with 3 giggly women, theres a bloke dancing badky, and the 3 women dont like his dancing, so they throw stuff al over the dancefloor so he falls and hurts himself:confused:

Cue final freezeframe of said bloke in the air after slipping on the shite they threw ion the floor, probably fractured his pelvis, am i really missing something, or is that it?

I dont find it remotely funny, i really cant see how its meant to be even remotely funny, i just cant imagine the scenes that would cause in a proper party environment, guy on floor with broken leg, hips and pelvis, guys girlfriend and her friend sets about 3 giggly girls, blood, tears, ripped out hair.....who thinks these things up?

That ad sounds awful. If it had been blokes causing a woman to fall, it wouldn't be allowed.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new BT infinity one is getting annoying. They mention at the end that 9/10 people would recommend it but they seem to have missed the fact that that means 10% of their customers (over 600,000 people) aren't happy.
  • Options
    TheOneAndOnly27TheOneAndOnly27 Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Isn't that what I just said?
    You remembered, ie had heard of, one, so you bought it and not the one you hadn't heard of. That's what I was saying above. You see the ad and remember it and when you see the product in the shop or wherever, you recall the ad and buy the product and not a product you haven't seen advertised.

Not exactly. I never mentioned remembering anything and the advertising people don't factor remembering into the process.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly. I never mentioned remembering anything and the advertising people don't factor remembering into the process.

I don't get this. If you see an ad and then see the product in the ad in a shop you're remembering it, aren't you? You see an ad and forget everything about it you won't see the product in the shop and, er, remember seeing it advertised, will you?

There's absolutely no point in making an ad if no-one remembers it. I don't believe for a single instant advertising people don't allow for remembering when they make an ad.

Read the following and note the bit about memories. http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/08/why-good-advertising-works-even-when-you-think-it-doesnt/244252/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ron_J wrote: »
    Fack off Andrex, the state of my arse is none of your concern.

er... well it kinda is their business ... its their actual business.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »

Its just blatent bullying. Like the girls who terrorise the guy by spraying kiss me on a shirt hes wearing probably expensive yet they seem to tyhink its ok to treat the guy like shit. So in reality he gets so upset at them bullying him, and humiliatin g him making a joke of him so he goes home and takes his own life because of these stupid cows.
  • Options
    Ermintrude1Ermintrude1 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    The two silly old b*ggers wearing panama hats to go on Skype and getting terribly excited because they've actually succeeded in getting sound and picture! :D
  • Options
    Ermintrude1Ermintrude1 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Just saw an ITV Emmerdale promo with a twee cover of Tainted Love. ARGH! MAKE IT STOP!! >:( >:(

I quite liked that - but then I love the song!

It was for Corrie and Emmerdale showing Moira and Cain and Eileen and Tony
  • Options
    The_ChiefThe_Chief Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Any BT sport advert with Jake Humphrey when they try and pass it off as free and try sell it based on a the Australian J league and the outer mongolian 2nd division.
  • Options
    TheOneAndOnly27TheOneAndOnly27 Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I don't get this. If you see an ad and then see the product in the ad in a shop you're remembering it, aren't you? You see an ad and forget everything about it you won't see the product in the shop and, er, remember seeing it advertised, will you?

With fear of starting an internet argument I'll try one more time.

In my (limited) experience, the advertisers I have worked with, work on the assumption of subliminal suggestion and not as you keep trying to theorise, memory. Memory is good for them but It's not the primary aim I'm told.

It's more to do with choice. When looking at a shelf of products you may have made up your mind what to buy and advertising can't change that if you're committed. But if your choice is not available but similar products are, you are more likely to choose the product that you have been exposed to via advertising. As simple as that, not as you think, through memory but subliminally.
    There's absolutely no point in making an ad if no-one remembers it. I don't believe for a single instant advertising people don't allow for remembering when they make an ad.

Again your theory about memory is driving your belief that you are correct. I'm trying to think the last time I went into a shop and bought something because of an advert directly. I can't. I also can't tell you why I bought one product over another when my choice was not available. But I bet an advertising person can. That's all I'm trying to say here. It's a dark art with more corners than us the general public know about.

I'm not saying memory isn't a part of the advert game, I'm just saying, from the insiders in the industry I have worked with, they have told me what I've posted here. Thats It.

From the (good) article you posted.
    "But engaging and memorable ads slip ideas past our defenses and seed memories that influence our behavior."

I read this as creating a memorable ad, allows the advertiser to influence us when making choices that go beyond simply remembering the advert itself, into something much deeper psychologically.

What do you think?
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ad for Aunt Bessies Onion Rings.
    Does ANYBODY call Onion Rings by any name other than Onion RINGS ??
    Loops, O's, Circles ??
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one on Sky News advertising themselves which assumes we know that Pretoria is in South Africa.
    Just saw an ITV Emmerdale promo with a twee cover of Tainted Love. ARGH! MAKE IT STOP!! >:( >:(

And, I believe, that was the same version of TL used in a commercial for Corsodyl mouthwash - which made me think that that commercial had returned.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With fear of starting an internet argument I'll try one more time.

In my (limited) experience, the advertisers I have worked with, work on the assumption of subliminal suggestion and not as you keep trying to theorise, memory. Memory is good for them but It's not the primary aim I'm told.

It's more to do with choice. When looking at a shelf of products you may have made up your mind what to buy and advertising can't change that if you're committed. But if your choice is not available but similar products are, you are more likely to choose the product that you have been exposed to via advertising. As simple as that, not as you think, through memory but subliminally.

Again your theory about memory is driving your belief that you are correct. I'm trying to think the last time I went into a shop and bought something because of an advert directly. I can't. I also can't tell you why I bought one product over another when my choice was not available. But I bet an advertising person can. That's all I'm trying to say here. It's a dark art with more corners than us the general public know about.

I'm not saying memory isn't a part of the advert game, I'm just saying, from the insiders in the industry I have worked with, they have told me what I've posted here. Thats It.

From the (good) article you posted.
    "But engaging and memorable ads slip ideas past our defenses and seed memories that influence our behavior."

I read this as creating a memorable ad, allows the advertiser to influence us when making choices that go beyond simply remembering the advert itself, into something much deeper psychologically.

What do you think?

You appear to think that the words memorable ad has nothing to do with memories and that the word memory has nothing to do with the word remembering. Anyhow, that is the end of this discussion as we do not agree and there's no point in continuing. The act of remembering is a subliminal one in the case of adverts. It's a comprehension thing. The article I refered to says what I was saying basically. I never said that the only thing that affected choice of goods was an advert. Also please do not make assumptions about what a poster is thinking, I object to your statement starting again your theory
    in any case you have misunderstood it completely. Anyhow, you can carry on with your I am right and you are wrong because I am ending the discussion. The end.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    Fair play to the Three network apologising for the holiday spam.:D
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,774
    Forum Member
    The new Cravendale milk advert with the biscuit boy is seiously creepingi me out. And I totally agree about the Wowcher ad, it's reverse sexism!
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    wuffles wrote: »
    The new Cravendale milk advert with the biscuit boy is seiously creepingi me out. And I totally agree about the Wowcher ad, it's reverse sexism!
    There are some ads that turn you off a product - and those are two of them.

If I go into a shop and they haven't got what I want, I don't buy an alternative. I try to get it elsewhere and if I can't, then I either go without or buy something completely different. I certainly don't buy something I've seen in an ad which annoys me. I won't buy Moaom chews because the "actor" they've employed is a prat; I won't buy No-no because the ad just pain annoys me; I won't by Optrex because they can't tell the difference between dandelion seeds and pollen.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Foxy Bingo ads during Jeremy Kyle.
    All that stupid gurning.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Foxy Bingo ads during Jeremy Kyle.
    All that stupid gurning.

I'm sick of the sight of Judge Rinder
  • Options
    Sadly All SeeinSadly All Seein Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »

Reverse sexism is respect for the opposite sex. It's plain old fashioned sexism.
    Sexism has never been a female-only problem just the perception of it
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    And, I believe, that was the same version of TL used in a commercial for Corsodyl mouthwash - which made me think that that commercial had returned.
    Oh my gosh, that's right! :o
This discussion has been closed.