Options

Could anti-spyware have killed my laptop wi-fi card ?

darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I downloaded and ran AVG PCTune-up yesterday (I already run AVG anti-virus). After installing, it turned off my ADVENT 9315 (XP SP3). Now, all attempts to turn on the inbuilt wireless card (Fn +F10) result in the lappy switching off.
Rather stupidly, I deleted the AVG Tune-up app hoping it would help. It didn't. Neither did system restore or setting the BIOS to default mode - I removed the Bios battery for a while with a similar lack of success. Oddly, a USB wireless 'dongle' works perfectly (without switching the Fn +10 on). I reseated the hard drive and RAM - no luck.
Should I assume a dead wi-fi card ?
Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt if software would damage your WiFi hardware, I guess you could try re-installing the driver for the WiFi.

A last result would be to factory reset as System Restore has not worked. Don't forget to backup your data first.
  • Options
    martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check your drivers, several times I have known Windows update stop a Network card working due to wrong driver issues try a driver roll back or download the appropriate drivers from the manufacturers site.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    I downloaded and ran AVG PCTune-up yesterday (I already run AVG anti-virus). After installing, it turned off my ADVENT 9315 (XP SP3). Now, all attempts to turn on the inbuilt wireless card (Fn +F10) result in the lappy switching off.
    Rather stupidly, I deleted the AVG Tune-up app hoping it would help. It didn't. Neither did system restore or setting the BIOS to default mode - I removed the Bios battery for a while with a similar lack of success. Oddly, a USB wireless 'dongle' works perfectly (without switching the Fn +10 on). I reseated the hard drive and RAM - no luck.
    Should I assume a dead wi-fi card ?
    Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Perhaps you have lost the driver for the card, or the software has been corrupted and cannot be restored, I had a similar problem with Comodo switching things off, or putting apps behind the firewall, ended up deleting Comodo and installing Avira.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do a factory restore using the dvd restore discs after backing up all important data to eliminate a software issue.

Avg anti-virus software has been known to cause bsod's or restarts and shutdowns because of compatability issues with other software in the past don't know about tune up software.

If after factory restore wifi card is the same then likely to be hardware make sure you have latest drivers as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for all the suggestions - here goes !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried the recovery disc and re-installing the driver for the wi-fi card with no luck. It's not even beeing detected as installed hardware....doh !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the WiFi have a physical switch that you may have turned off by mistake?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Does the WiFi have a physical switch that you may have turned off by mistake?

Good suggestion, I have inadvertantly turned off my WiFi, and wondered what was wrong, fortunately my laptop has an indicator light to show when it is on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check in the bios that the wireless isn't set to disabled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wi-fi is toggled on/off by Fn+F10. Doing this turns the wif-fi on, but the laptpop now switches off after a couple of seconds. I had a look at thge bios - but couldn't see anything relating to wi-fi. It seems odd tha it works perfectly with a usb wireless plug-in..
    Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did your laptop not have a CD with all the installed drivers on it?, seem to recall the one I had did?, perhaps you could reload the driver from it.

According to this site you should have been supplied with a disk

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/9315.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John146 wrote: »

That's no help as the links are related to Audio as the person replying did not read the original issue properly :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    That's no help as the links are related to Audio as the person replying did not read the original issue properly :(

Yup, must admit I read the reply to the problem and could make head nor tail of what the sound system had to do with the WiFi card!!!:eek:,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    Did your laptop not have a CD with all the installed drivers on it?, seem to recall the one I had did?, perhaps you could reload the driver from it.

According to this site you should have been supplied with a disk

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/9315.htm
    That's correct - and although the driver seems to install successfully, the internal wi-fi card is still not visible in device manager. I'm probably going to have to either hunt for a spare card or just continue to use the USB wi-fi. Got to admit it's got me stumped. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ did you choose the option to show hidden devices?
    (device manager, view, show hidden devices)
    if it comes up, right click and uninstall.
    then click action, scan for hardware changes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does sound as tho your wifi may have given up the ghost and if built into mobo then your usb one will work ok just depends if your happy with that if you have a pci-ex1 slot you could buy an internal one for about £25.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ did you choose the option to show hidden devices?
    (device manager, view, show hidden devices)
    if it comes up, right click and uninstall.
    then click action, scan for hardware changes

the gold room I'm indebted to you ! I looked for hidden devices - it was there. I unistalled and reinstalled it and it works perfectly - many thanks to you and all who took the time and trouble to suggest possible fixes.:)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    martytoo wrote: »
    Check your drivers, several times I have known Windows update stop a Network card working due to wrong driver issues try a driver roll back or download the appropriate drivers from the manufacturers site.

Exactly that thing happened to me a few days ago and here's how I dealt with it:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1461338